X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ergon
    • Sep 2007

Song Request to Speedbag

Hey,.. I was wondering if you could have a go at speedbag drumming to this song. After watching you do that beat thing to ur other songs, it is my aim to drum to this song.

but i was wondeirng if you could make a custom video on tihs song would be pretty cool

the song is found here

Thanks...
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Ergon View Post
    Hey,.. I was wondering if you could have a go at speedbag drumming to this song. After watching you do that beat thing to ur other songs, it is my aim to drum to this song.

but i was wondeirng if you could make a custom video on tihs song would be pretty cool

the song is found here

Thanks...
    I have never heard of Pendulum. It is an easy song to punch to and I could sure do it if I was punching right now.

I recently, (last week) had surgery on one of my shoulders, and may need to have a follow up in another week or week or so. I doubt I'll be punching for at least a couple of months.

the easiest way to start out is, Tap your foot to the beat, then start doing basic rhythm, punching the bag every time you tap your foot. That would be four foot taps, four punches in the basic rhythm, with 3 rebounds inbetween.
    *these would be quarter notes: 4beats=4notes. you could count this: 1-2-3-4

You can do Front Double Punches FCP ' ' ' FDP by having the second fist of the technique hit ON the beat. (just like the basic rhythm, with a pick-up beat by the lead fist.) you will have to punch a little fast to do this, for the lead fist adds an extra rebound. In this combo, the second fist hits ON the beat after 4-rebounds, but you will hear the loud accented second fist of the FDP hit ON the beat.

You can also pass a single fist through front to back (Front Circle Punch to Revese Single Punch [ FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ] making 8 punches in four foot taps. Here, the front punch (or first punch) is "on" the beat, the second punch is at the half-point between beats.
    you could count this 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and.....
    *these would be 8th notes: 4 beats=8notes.

You could Front Fist Roll at several speeds, using half notes or 16ths notes. (*16th notes = 16 fist punches in 4 beats of music.) on this song, it will require a very tight roll on a small bag. 8th notes would be easier.

notice you could have 8th notes in the double bounce pass through rhythm and also 8th notes in the Front punching Fist Roll, single bounce rebounds. The secret is adjusting your punching speed to match the bag beats to the music beat. You don't necessarily punch to music at the same punching speed, you keep the bag beat in sync with the music, by punching faster or slower accordingly. and on the bag you don't really count this as I wrote it - you "feel" it.

But soon as I can punch, and find that music, I'll do it for ya. might be a while do a recent complication after this last surgery. I've got a sneaky suspicion that I might need a do-over
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      I have never heard of Pendulum. It is an easy song to punch to and I could sure do it if I was punching right now.

I recently, (last week) had surgery on one of my shoulders, and may need to have a follow up in another week or week or so. I doubt I'll be punching for at least a couple of months.
      ah man i sorry to hear that. what exactly is the root of all these shoulder issues? seems like u have a lot of surgeries. and good luck on the recovery and if there are further follow up surgeries good luck with them as well.
      ________
      Glass Bowls
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
        ah man i sorry to hear that. what exactly is the root of all these shoulder issues? seems like u have a lot of surgeries. and good luck on the recovery and if there are further follow up surgeries good luck with them as well.
        The "root" is way too many years of abuse and overuse of the shoulders. I suspect gazillions of reps in the weight room, living by the creed: no pain - no gain, and not allowing minor injuries to heal properly before starting over. This was my 3rd shoulder surgery in that last year and a half. Looks like it may not be the last....
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Ergon
          • Sep 2007

thanks for the reply speedbag. I might give it ago in couple weeks when I get proficent at speedbags

btw sorry to hear about your shoulder.. and hope you have speedy recovery

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

thanks for the reply speedbag. I might give it ago in couple weeks when I get proficent at speedbags

btw sorry to hear about your shoulder.. and hope you have speedy recovery

thanks, Ergon. I appreciate that.

Work on your punching skills and consistency. Hitting to music will come once you starting feeling the beat.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

The "root" is way too many years of abuse and overuse of the shoulders. I suspect gazillions of reps in the weight room, living by the creed: no pain - no gain, and not allowing minor injuries to heal properly before starting over. This was my 3rd shoulder surgery in that last year and a half. Looks like it may not be the last....
              Ouch man, that,s alot of getting cut open and such, but you seem in good spirits
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                Ouch man, that,s alot of getting cut open and such, but you seem in good spirits
                Yea, I'm on the christmas card list of the Operating Room Staff. But don't cry for me Argentina. Sitting around sulking about it doesn't help ya heal....

I'll be back under the board in a month or so....
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

[/I]. Sitting around sulking about it doesn't help ya heal....

Amen to that!: Get better soon man!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• speedbag4life
                    • Jun 2007

Looks like it's about that time. Hope you're healing up well and starting to feel the urge to punch again.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                      Looks like it's about that time. Hope you're healing up well and starting to feel the urge to punch again.
                      URGE, yes. Doctors release, no. I'm too old to argue with him. I have been disobedient in the past, (...and lived to return for more surgery)
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbag4life
                        • Jun 2007

URGE, yes. Doctors release, no. I'm too old to argue with him. I have been disobedient in the past, (...and lived to return for more surgery)
                        Good job holding back until you get Dr's clearance. Old, wise, whatever-- best move you could make.

Maybe next time (hope there isn't a next time), they can make you bionic. Then again, judging from your videos, maybe you already are bionic!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                          ....Maybe next time (hope there isn't a next time), they can make you bionic. Then again, judging from your videos, maybe you already are bionic!!
                          Trust Me, ( and this is from the horses mouth) I am not Bionic. What appears on video is just the power of memorex.

but thanks for the thought.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

the song is found here

Thanks...
                            Hey Ergon,

I returned to hitting again, and I gave your pendulum song request, "fasten your seatbelts" a try. I didn't hit to the whole thing ( 9 minutes ) but here is about 3 minutes.

It's a pretty easy 4/4 beat, with 8 and 16 measure melody riffs. I start out for the first 16 measures in basic straight time punching on the beat, then go to more complicated syncopated combinations. (note the punching change when the voice over says "combination style". It's actually in the song ). There I start using various combinations that will have certain punches within them land ON the beat within a measure, syncing the sound of the bag beat with the song.

Hope it works for you.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

So this seems to be a good "beginner" song? I could follow the beat tapping my foot... which I suppose means "yes". The beat isn't too crazy fast. I may give it a shot when I get back home (on the road in a hotel at the moment).

Can you elaborate on the Advanced FDP combo? What exactly are you doing there? I tried to rewind a few times but it goes by a bit too fast for me to pick up precisely what's going on.
                              Last edited by Tim; 11-30-2007, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...