• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryzies
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2006

What does Alan do for a living?

i saw in a post you made you said that you could quit your day job in 6 years...so it got me wondering, what does the speedbag king do for a "day job"...do you do just speedbag things or do you have a normal day to day?...hahaha just keeping myself busy at work...
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag day job

Originally posted by ryzies
    i saw in a post you made you said that you could quit your day job in 6 years...so it got me wondering, what does the speedbag king do for a "day job"...do you do just speedbag things or do you have a normal day to day?...hahaha just keeping myself busy at work...
    My "day job" is working as a supervisor of Vocational Rehabilitation Services for the Central Texas Veterans Health Care system (CTVHCS) of the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Many VA medical centers have "Compensated Work Therapy" programs that offer a wide variety of specialized employment services to veterans. Although the V.A. Medical Center that I work for does not have our own dedicated Vocational Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT) Website, Here is a general information link to our CTVHCS VRT program and services

below are a few links to other VA VRT programs with more detailed explanations about the Vocational services offered. We all offer the same related services, tailored to our own communities, local labor markets and veteran populations.

VRT Chillocothe Ohio

VRT Coatsville PA

VRT Palo Alto, CA

VRT Eugene Oregon

There are many more throughout the country.

So, I guess you could say my current "day job" is helping Veterans find a "day job" also. ( or a night job, if called for...)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Speed Bag is just one of several Passions in my life. Lately It has grown to occupy a much larger part of my life and a fair amount of my "free" time. But my life's education, (college) and vocations (jobs) have always centered around rehabilitation and teaching. They are also passions of mine.

I would love to join these passions (1) speed bag (2) rehabilitation (3) teaching - together in some way. to fully legitimize the unique aspects of speed bag punching within the professional world of rehabilitation therapy, and teach the enlightened physical therapists, occupational therapists, physiatrists, and any other rehabilitation staffing specialties HOW the speed bag works, and HOW they can modify its use for the patients they work with. How it can be a unique therapuetic exercise activity for them - that can be used in both the rehabilitation therapy clinic and the persons home. It could be a very cost effective activity in all areas.

A speed bag unit in every rehabilitation and sports medicine therapy center, with staff who understand how to use it with their patients. now your talkin'.

That would be my "dream day job".

find your life's passion - and pursue it. Or you'll die of boredom.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ryzies
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2006

well thanks alan that was very informative...you seem like a great teacher, you have a way about you that just makes you very easy to follow...i wish i did something as exciting...hahaha...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...