Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed Bags

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Speed Bags Questions and information on speed bags, bladders, etc.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

ribbs is on a distinguished road
HI Tim,

I appreciate you putting the different sizes of speed bags on the scales. I have a 4200 everlast and the 6 by 4 pro everlast speed bag. I was disapointed with the 6by 4 bag. I wanted more speed. Yes the 6by 4 speed bag may be smaller as far as a target goes but it seems to light. I am counting nine to ten rebounds with one punch vs. twelve with my 4200 nine by six. I am thinking about by the astro everlast speed bag eight by five for greater speed. Anyway , it seems that you are doing your homework on what speed bags are the lights to heaviest. I am not sure lighter means faster however. What do you think! Ribbs.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Kevdawg0324 is on a distinguished road
i think that a lot of the bag rebound has to do with what kind of bladder is in the bag itself, or at least thats my theory. i feel like the rubber has a quicker restitution (trapoline effect) rate as opposed to the plastic. the plastic is noticably lighter in my opinion. i posed a question about bladders a week or so ago and no one responded.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Response

You know what, I really think that you are correct.I put plastic in all my speed bags to acheive faster rebounds. Rubber blatters are best.I still think that the astro 8by 5 everlast might be the missing speed bag in my collection though. I,m looking for the heaviest eight by five. Have you tried this speed bag yourself?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 PM

Kevdawg0324 is on a distinguished road
i have not tried that speed bag. ive hit and owned the ringside's, title's, and everlast's. i would like to try a rival, a top contender(ringside), and tko(high end version). in my opinion, those are the ones worth trying, but then again, they are also the ones that market their equipment more and if they arent leather, then i dont think they are worth a damn. i tend to like heavier bags as well with the exception of my title yellow(5x8) which is very light. but i think its weight has a lot to do with its bladder. i might change it just to see.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Talking from speed bag to double end bag

I decided about a year ago to by a double end bag from everlast. Well I bought the largest sizes classic red. It seemed to be way to slow and it broke. So I bought the smallest everlast pro use heavy use, its yellow and black. At first it was difficult to throw combinations because it simply was to quick. It is without a doubt the fast moving target that I have ever worked with.To pinpoint my accuracy, I decided to work with the 4by6 speed bag that I was writing about earlier.Within one session I was able to pick up the movements off of the floor bag. When it came to timing, I decided that I had to move my upper body and feet to create better angles for combinations. Man all I can tell you, is that it is nothing short of fun to combine small speed bag and small double bag training. When you think about it. I had to adjust my whole approach when it came to hand speed improvements.

What I don't get is , the four by six is slower than my 2400 six by nine.I don't get why I was able to improve in hand eye coordination. The only thing I can think of is that the small speed bag is the same color as the floor bag. The one fact remains,is that I would have never been able to workout with the double end bag wiht these results without speed bag exsposure.

Speed bags rule!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to make a new post about double end bags, your comments are very interesting and I hope to learn more.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 AM

jason_m_amy is on a distinguished road
Everlast 4210

I have several bags - see the photo. My favorite is this Everlast 4210, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (see pic)? This one I have is brown, did they stop making it? I have seen some that said 4210 but they are red - are they the same? Compared to the title of the same size, the 4210 is MUCH faster - is this due to the bladder or are they just that different?

(can't upload some of the files, get an internal server error)

Thanks, Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg0291.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	60  

Last edited by jason_m_amy; 01-29-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Hey Jason_m_army

You are correct that the Everlast 4210 is usually Red. I used that bag for For all the Technique pictures, and I have had that bag for almost 15 years. It is a great bag. That brown Everlast 4210 that you have may be a classic. I haven't seen one like that in many years. Everlast does have a bunch of brown bags, and I have had the brown 4214 (10x7) and Never did like it. Much slower than other 10x7's. When I blew it up close to spreading the seams, it only got harder, (like a brick) - not faster.

Bag SPEED and the "pop" of the rebound off the board is probably affected by a lot of things, and their are some variables that really can't be standardized. I don't know much about the "type" of bladder inside, for I never really messed with bladders much. I have hit both and have to say I could not tell the difference, but then again, for many of my bags I never looked inside. My favorite bag for 20 years or so was the Everlast 4200 (9x6). The several I opened up had red plastic bladders. My last 10 years I've hit other bags but I don't know whats "under the hood" cause I really try to avoid surgery on them.

Besides the bladder material, I suspect the amount of air inside is also a determinant, and very hard to gauge "equal amounts of air in each", as well as the expandability of the material. the standard air pressure on most bags is 4 lbs. Maybe rubber would do better with 5 lbs. Does more air make it faster?
I also suspect the rebound board, it's material and solidity makes a difference.

Bag weight could also be a big factor, as well as the leather material used.

The secret to me has always been to hit a bag that you enjoy hitting. Some bags accept your hands as family, and others reject them workout after workout.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM

jason_m_amy is on a distinguished road
4210 - same now as then?

Speedbag,

Yes, I'd guess the brown 4210 bag I have is at least 20 years old, probably 25. What defines 'collectible'? It's one of the ones my dad bought me when I was a kid, and recently getting back into speedbagging I found it and dusted it off! The thing absolutely rocks - low air pressure, high air pressure, doesn't matter. I can hit that thing for almost an hour with no break, and still want to go longer, but my shoulders tell me to stop. I like small bags also, but they don't give me the workout the larger bags do (my main reason for speedbagging is to keep in shape for surfing and right now the water is TOO COLD, so lots of speedbagging for me).

I think you summed it up - different bags for different folks, some feel natural, others don't (4214). My problem is that I like my 4210 so much, and it's SO old, I'm afraid of using it too much and completely wearing it out. Do you think if I buy a newer 4210 it will be the same? Mine feels much lighter than a title of the same size? It may have a rubber bladder also. I saw this link you posted in another thread to the 4210 - it may just be me, but it looks SO similar to the 4214 that I have, and that thing is awful. I'm guessing it's not since you used it for 15 years!? I may buy a few of those if they're the same.

-Jason
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Hey Jason,

I think if you buy another 4210 it may be similiar, but the leather on yours is a different type than the one on my link. The 4210 is an 11x8 and the 4124 is a 10x7. I like the 4210, but not the 4214.

You might get another bladder for your brown 4210, just in case your original bladder goes. But if that bag has sentimental value (and it is a classic, probably discontinued) than I would get another one similar to workout on. You might also pay attention to the seams spreading and pulling apart.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag