Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Heavy Bag and Double End Bag

Heavy Bag and Double End Bag The "other" bags - heavy bag, double end bag, and any other non-speed bag boxing or martial arts equipment discussion.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Speed Bag Guru

riqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud of
Glad to hear that you like your hydrostrike bag. I have decided to wait until my Powair bag falls apart before I buy the Hydrostrike bag.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

acidragon is on a distinguished road
yeah id go with the next size up for the hydrobag since its smaller than the same weight of a conventional bag. I got the one with the foam so i can kick it also. It also came with a swivel on the chain which I never had... so the bag spins if i hit it on an angle.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

Title Fight is on a distinguished road
Those Foam/Water Hydrostrike bags look sweet!

i have been looking for something that is a little more forgiving on my hands and those look perfect. I am guessing the size for the 100 lbs Hydrostrike Foam/Water is 13" X 36" ?

oh and i am just a little curious, how much does it weigh unfilled?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Speed Bag Guru

riqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud ofriqal has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloYello View Post
I posted a thread here comparing the "softness" of some of the more mainstream heavybags:
http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...1236#post11236

I didn't include waterbags because they (at least the foam/water ones) are going to be softer than the filled heavybags and while I've had one that leaked right away and another that I didn't own long enough (before sumwun snaked it ) to tell, at some point the bladder is going to go and you'll have a room full of water
But don't let this keep any of you out there from buying a water/foam or a water only bag. Sure eventually there will be a leak, but it could be years before it happens. The new Title water bags have a 10 year warranty on the bladder, so they must be very strong bladders. And if the bladder does leak, it would probably start out as a very small leak (a dripping type leak), rather than a sudden explosion of water. I owned my first Powair water bag for 8 years before getting rid of it. It took 8 years of harsh punishment and the bladder was fine the day I got rid of it.

Last edited by riqal; 06-30-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

acidragon is on a distinguished road
the bag is shipped unfolded and at fullsize which is pretty smart of everlast. The foam and leather wont be wrinkled since its not folded. The bladder is flexiable and folded in a plastic bag. Id say the bag is about 3 feet tall 100 lb bag which is a little short for me... but on the website it doesnt tell you the height.

Im thinking alot of people have the bladder leak on them after a few uses because they fill it totally full and therefore there is no room for expansion when its struck. Like i said earlier I left some space on top and then pushed the bag in on itself then capped it (so there is no air but room for the bag to grow) so when its hit it will use that empty space to expand.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

punchingbag is on a distinguished road
The inherent problem with foam based punching bags is that the more you hit them up top, the more the foam starts to sink towards the bottom.

What you should do is wrap the bag with duck tape tightly to help keep the foam in place and from keeping the punching bag from sagging.

If its too late for that, use shin guards!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingbag View Post
The inherent problem with foam based punching bags is that the more you hit them up top, the more the foam starts to sink towards the bottom.

What you should do is wrap the bag with duck tape tightly to help keep the foam in place and from keeping the punching bag from sagging.
I've always wished they had the same hanging rings on the bottom of the bag so you could rotate them every few weeks and put the bottom on the top. That might help the material settling problems.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbag View Post
I've always wished they had the same hanging rings on the bottom of the bag so you could rotate them every few weeks and put the bottom on the top. That might help the material settling problems.
If I ever buy another heavy bag (not looking likely though) I'd go water bag for this reason. Even distribution that doesn't change with age of the equipment.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
If I ever buy another heavy bag (not looking likely though) I'd go water bag for this reason. Even distribution that doesn't change with age of the equipment.
Me too. I've had them and love their adjustability and action. I wish I had not given my last one away. I I get another heavy bag I go foam with a water core.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

davidwilsoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riqal View Post
You might be interested in this: http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WTRFT

It's a water bag so it will not ever turn to brick hard. It is pricey, though, and at 200 lbs you might have problems finding a place to hang it. It's not the end of the world if you cannot throw uppercuts as effectively on this bag as on the angle bag.

But if it were me, yes go with the hydrostrike bag. Water bags, I think, provide a much more awesome punching experience than traditional filled bags. Make sure you get the foam/water hydrostrike as opposed to the water only hydrostrike.
Do you guys know if the hydrostrike bag would freeze, would it rip the bladder? I would have to keep it in a garage with no heat year around...