Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed Bags

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Speed Bags Questions and information on speed bags, bladders, etc.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Speed bags - size vs weight

I've recently acquired some different sizes of speed bag

From left to right:
Everlast 9x6 High Performance Speed Bag - $39.99
Title 8x5 Speed Bag - $29.99
Title 8x5 Classic Speed Bag - $19.99
Ringside 8x5 #RPSB (Size Extra Small) - $44.99
Top Contender 4x7 #CRPSB (Size Extra Small) - $19.99

The Everlast 9x6 is the heaviest, it's solidy constructed and feels like a ton of bricks compared to the other bags. Which got me to thinking, just how much of a weight difference is there amongst these bags? I appropriated the kitchen food scale and got to work ...

The Everlast weighs in at a mere 8 oz.

The Title 8x5 has a noticeably lighter feel, and the scale doesn't lie, 6 oz.:

The 8x5 Classic model is even lighter, despite being advertised as having approx the same dimensions as the yellow title bag - 5.2oz :

The Rinside 8x5 with it's elongated banana shape is a real lightweight at a tiny bit over 4 oz:

And finally, the top contender bag is also a lightweight, at a tiny bit over 4 oz.

I hope that helps put some perspective on just how much of a difference there can be between bags, even those of the same dimensions. The difference between some of these bags is a mere 1 ounce, but can easily be felt when hitting.

I don't have a lot of board time on most of these bags yet, so further analysis will come later.

Last edited by Tim; 11-27-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
I'll never forget how I felt when i first got my Title Classic 8x5 bag, I thought I had been ripped off with some toy because I had been using an Everlast 10x7, which is a real heavyweight compared to that thing. You really notice a difference when hitting it too, it demands a different style when hitting it!

Last edited by Chris M; 11-28-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Bag size and weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I'll never forget how I felt when i first got my Ringside Classic 8x5 bag, I thought I had been ripped off with some toy because I had been using an Everlast 10x7, which is a real heavyweight compared to that thing. You really notice a difference when hitting it too, it demands a different style when hitting it!
Chris: are you sure it's the Ringside Classic 8x5, or do you mean the Title classic 8x5? When I got my first Title classic 8x5 I was reminded of the old "feather" punching routines from karate. Had to work with it for a week or so before I finally got comfortable with the lightness.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Great Post, Tim. I have all those bags shown (...and a bunch of others: Tufwear, Champion, Hitman, etc...)
I have never weighed them myself, but your analysis is correct. Some bags feel like a heavy brick next to others. I am surprised the 8c5 Red banana Ringside is so light. That bag feels heavy to me. Maybe it is just the longer shape, but if feels like a brick with I'm punching it.

And I believe Chris is correct. Changing bags, say from a "heavy" 9x6 to a lighter one, or putting the tiny 6x4 on the hook - demands a different style of hitting. You will not have to pound so hard to keep it going fast. If you want a really brute cardio-workout, then the tiny light bag is not your best choice, for it takes a lighter punching motion.

Then again, it's a lot easier on your hands....

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. VIII! Summer 2017

The Art of the Bag
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbag View Post
Chris: are you sure it's the Ringside Classic 8x5, or do you mean the Title classic 8x5? When I got my first Title classic 8x5 I was reminded of the old "feather" punching routines from karate. Had to work with it for a week or so before I finally got comfortable with the lightness.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Great Post, Tim. I have all those bags shown (...and a bunch of others: Tufwear, Champion, Hitman, etc...)
I have never weighed them myself, but your analysis is correct. Some bags feel like a heavy brick next to others. I am surprised the 8c5 Red banana Ringside is so light. That bag feels heavy to me. Maybe it is just the longer shape, but if feels like a brick with I'm punching it.

And I believe Chris is correct. Changing bags, say from a "heavy" 9x6 to a lighter one, or putting the tiny 6x4 on the hook - demands a different style of hitting. You will not have to pound so hard to keep it going fast. If you want a really brute cardio-workout, then the tiny light bag is not your best choice, for it takes a lighter punching motion.

Then again, it's a lot easier on your hands....
You are right, it is the Title Classic.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
Just for reference, I weighed one of my Everlast 4205's, tips the scale at 14 ounces.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Speed Bag Guru

I should weigh my Title 10x14 just for grins! That thing is a monster but I love it!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
The 4205's seem to vary in size slightly depending upon whe they were made. Average appears to be 14x12. Yeah they're big..............
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

rellik134 is on a distinguished road
Just curious. Why is it on the title site http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html it shows the red title bag being 9x6 and the yellow being 8x5? They might have changed the colors or they at one point gave an option of color.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM

BillyMack is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BillyMack Send a message via MSN to BillyMack
Perhaps you are confusing the Standard Red 6 x 9
http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html

with the Title Classic which comes in 2 sizes, 5 x 8 and 6 x 9
http://store.titleboxing.com/classic-speed-bags.html

Kind of a pain to keep 'em all straight...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

rellik134 is on a distinguished road
I see thanks.