• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Popping a speed bag by punching

I was watching the Freddie Roach DVD from Title that I have and in it, Freddie claims that he used to be able to pop a speed bag with a left hook in his younger days. He demonstrated how he used to do it and what he did was kind of hit the bag on an upswing and he pins the bag to the drum with no rebound.

Has anyone here ever done this or heard of it being done on a bag that was in otherwise good condition and not overinflated or anything?

By the way, in another post several months back I made a remark about Freddie taking too many headshots in his past. I recently read that he's been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, so I humbly apologize for that remark.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

That's weird....why would anyone want to pop an otherwise perfectly good bag? I would imagine that it wouldn't be too terribly hard, the valves aren't bullet proof, and if you mangle them with enough pressure they're sure to burst open...then there's the concern of missing the bag altogether and contacting the hard wood platform with a fist meant for a soft bag....kind of a silly endeavor if you ask me...

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I think he used to do it to show off because he was bragging when he said it.

You'd kind of have to see how he demonstrated it, it's not exactly a straight upswing, it's more of a hook with a slight upward angle but he still traps the bag between the drum and his fist. He was teaching this as a way to develop your left hook and follow through.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Pinning the bag

Pinning the Bag workout

takes a lot of timing and fist accuracy. But I see no sense to "popping" a bag. I suppose it is possible, but a sad and useless end to a speed bag. However, I imagine the rest of the testosterone in the room is highly impressed when it happens.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jason_m_amy
          • Jan 2007

Pinning the bag

I was watching a show where they were showing how Tito Ortiz trained for his UFC fights. One of the many things he did was pin the speed bag on the platform. He made a point of saying "do not use force, just a light tap - an additional exercise for the timing of punches.". He had on boxing gloves and the speed bag appeared to be lower, he was doing a lot of dodging and moving while lightly pinning it. Looked tricky as he seemed pretty good at it.

-Jason

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Pinning the Bag workout

takes a lot of timing and fist accuracy. But I see no sense to "popping" a bag. I suppose it is possible, but a sad and useless end to a speed bag. However, I imagine the rest of the testosterone in the room is highly impressed when it happens.
            Yes, that video is very similar to what Freddie Roach was doing on the DVD but in the utube video you linked to, Coach Tom was swinging up a lot more. Freddie had the bag at the level that you teach, but he was practicing hooks and was pinning the bag. It's not easy to do, at least not quickly.

Comment

• joec
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2006

Well it's true you can pop the bag. I watched the Freddie Roach DVD and was practicing hooks on my speed bag as he described. I was not trying to pop the bag since my budget for a new bag is quite low. Anyhow, I popped the bag. I will no longer be practicing my hooks on the speed bag since I don't have money to keep buying new bags.

In his video he says that if you hit the hook correctly it will pin the bag against the base and there is actually a very distinct sound to it. Well I guess I will stick to the heavy bag for my hooks from now on.

Joe
              ________
              Kawasaki ZN1100B
              Last edited by joec; 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joec View Post
                Well it's true you can pop the bag. I watched the Freddie Roach DVD and was practicing hooks on my speed bag as he described. I was not trying to pop the bag since my budget for a new bag is quite low. Anyhow, I popped the bag. I will no longer be practicing my hooks on the speed bag since I don't have money to keep buying new bags.

In his video he says that if you hit the hook correctly it will pin the bag against the base and there is actually a very distinct sound to it. Well I guess I will stick to the heavy bag for my hooks from now on.

Joe
                That's a bummer Joe! (I would have been cussing loud enough and long enough to make a sailor blush if that happened to me) Did the outer leather part get broken? If not, you can just buy the bladders.

Do you pump up your bags until they are really hard? The bag should feel kind of soft when you punch it. If your bag is kind of new, you probably will have good luck in getting a replacement through Everlast or whoever you got your bag from.

Comment

• joec
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2006

Hey Chris,

That bladder suggestion was a good one. I ordered a replacement for 4 buckeroos ... not bad. The bladder on that everlast seemed like plastic (very cheap) so hopefully this new latex bladder will last longer and maybe will be more bouncy too. The leather outside of the bag is fine and I figured out how to pull the bladder out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joe
                  ________
                  free themes
                  Last edited by joec; 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Crownshep
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2007

Here`s the youtube video of what Chris was talking about with Freddie Roach.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There`s also the double end bag and heavy bag videos as well in the list on the right.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

When I was boxing back in the day the term popping a speed bag didn't mean making the bladder pop. It refered to at the end of a round when the bell rang you trapped the bag against the platform making a popping sound.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                        When I was boxing back in the day the term popping a speed bag didn't mean making the bladder pop. It refered to at the end of a round when the bell rang you trapped the bag against the platform making a popping sound.
                        ....and that is much more respectful to the bag then breaking it. We did some trapping back yonder also.

I've had a few bags blow out on me while punching, but it was never done on purpose. Usually they were bubbled or the air valve blew out. Back in the 70's, The two piece plastic bladders were pretty bad about separating on the seam.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...