• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Boxing class: Got my butt kicked

I have never done any boxing other than 20 years ago when I was in Army Basic Training. We had a very quick class during hand-to-hand combat training on the pugilistic arts and it included some boxing. After that, whenever the Drill Sergeant thought two guys were having a disagreement, he would tell them they were going to box the upcoming Sunday afternoon. This was not formal at all; no boxing ring, nothing, after PT, when we were out on the field, he would have two sets of boxing gloves and whoever he had said would box would, and damn near everybody had to go a few rounds every Sunday. Anyway, that was the beginning and end of my training. I think it was more of a stress reliever and entertainment for everyone after a tough week of training.

Anyway, I was doing some research and found out that they have a western boxing class and a Muai Tai class at the local YMCA. I opted for traditional boxing just because I had a little familiarity with it and I had some equipment already at home, my BOB, seen here: http://www.karatesupply.com/century_bob.htm , a heavy bag, and of course, the trusty speed bag. I already knew some basic punches and defense, but I wanted more and I wanted the workout. For the past two years I've been running 3 miles a day 3 or 4 times a week and lifting weights, mostly upper body stuff 2 or 3 days a week. While I'm nowhere near the shape I was in 10 years ago or more when I was in the Army, I have made great strides in getting myself back in shape, (or so I thought, I am 43 now!) so I thought I could hang with the class.

Let me tell you, I don't know what would have happened if I had not been running for the past 2 years or so! That workout kicked my butt! The coach had us put on hand wraps and gloves and he spent 10 minutes or so going over some punches and the basics, most of which I was somewhat familiar with. He had the timer going, (Tim, I should have told him about yours) and we did 3 minute rounds lightly sparring with each other in class, and then when the buzzer went off, we would do push ups and crunches for 10 seconds. We all got a couple of rounds with the instructor. This went on for 30 minutes, then we changed up to some different rotation drills, like throwing the medicine ball, sparring heavier with the instructor with a padded suit and target mitts, etc. We did this for about 20 or 25 minutes, and then spent the last 5 or 10 doing 3 minute long rounds on the heavy bags with faster, harder punches.

I'm exhausted and a little wobbly. What a great workout! The first workout was free, if you liked it, you can sign up. I paid for a month. My ass is kicked, but it sure feels great!
    Last edited by Chris M; 11-07-2006, 06:44 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Boxing Class

Maybe you got a little lesson in Ring humility, but not everyone has the gonza's to enter the squared circle.

It will be a test every time you do it, but you join an elite group of people when you commit to serious boxing training. There is no easy way in the ring.....
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Maybe you got a little lesson in Ring humility
      MAYBE? I definitely got a lesson in Ring humility. I expected to not know much, but I did NOT expect to find out how out of shape I was. I went in there thinking "How hard can it be to keep your arms up for three minutes?"

"Gonzas" was never my problem and apparently still isn't. It's the ignorance of situations I get myself into that is the problem. Luckily in this case, the outcome can be nothing but good.
      Last edited by Chris M; 11-07-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...