• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2009

New here to everything and need a set up design

Hi there,

I am new to Boxing, speed bags and heavy bags and it is pretty safe to say I am addicted.

I started with a trainer at a boxing gym, however now have a set up at home and am learning there.

My problem is that I went out and bought one of the Century units with a 100 pound everlast bag and a century speed bag. (it is a combined unit)
    I have 3 25s on each peg and the thing still rattles like crazy and is incredibly noisy. I have also had to strap the bag with two ratchet straps to the unit as hitting it hard will knock it through the drywall, I cant move around the bag, I am now pretty much hitting a solid object strapped to a post. Basically I think the thing is a POS.

Second problem is the speed bag platform. It is painfully slow. I have replaced the swivel and it is still very slow. From my lurking on the forum it could be the rattling of the unit that is preventing the bag from working.

I am wanting to start over with this. My basement is drywalled and so i cannot strap a bag to the ceiling. I also want to try to keep the noise level to a minimum as my kids are sleeping in the morning when I train.

Can somebody get me going in the right direction?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

i think a wall unit is the setup that is widely used by mostly everyone here and is what i would sugest for you. i would also say you should put some sand bags on top. the sand will cut down vibration (making it a more crisp rebound which makes it faster) and noise. and depending on what wall unit is available to you i could give you some further information on how to make it better. or try and make one on your own if u can. theres a great thread in here about home made platforms if your intested in going that route. if not give use some set up models you like and we can get you going in the right direction.
    ________
    Vaporizer volcano
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• rudy
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
      i think a wall unit is the setup that is widely used by mostly everyone here and is what i would sugest for you. i would also say you should put some sand bags on top. the sand will cut down vibration (making it a more crisp rebound which makes it faster) and noise. and depending on what wall unit is available to you i could give you some further information on how to make it better. or try and make one on your own if u can. theres a great thread in here about home made platforms if your intested in going that route. if not give use some set up models you like and we can get you going in the right direction.
      Thanks Kyle.

Are you talking about the Speed bag, heavy bag, or both?

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

speed bag.
        heavy bag i only have experience with a ceiling mount. i would think any free standing unit would swing to much with a heavy bag. so my thinking is if a ceiling mount isnt an option i know someone else will chime in with another sugestion for you.
        ________
        XSexyKittenX
        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by rudy View Post
          My problem is that I went out and bought one of the Century units with a 100 pound everlast bag and a century speed bag. (it is a combined unit)
          I have 3 25s on each peg and the thing still rattles like crazy and is incredibly noisy.
          Check this out:

That's 160 Lbs of weights and 200 Lbs of sand. Notice i have cardboard in between the dime plates to keep the noise down. It worked somewhat. I've since given up on heavy bag hitting. If I was doing it again, I'd be hell bent to find a way to hang it from the ceiling.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by rudy View Post
            Hi there,

I am new to Boxing, speed bags and heavy bags and it is pretty safe to say I am addicted.

I started with a trainer at a boxing gym, however now have a set up at home and am learning there.

I have 3 25s on each peg and the thing still rattles like crazy and is incredibly noisy. I have also had to strap the bag with two ratchet straps to the unit as hitting it hard will knock it through the drywall, I cant move around the bag, I am now pretty much hitting a solid object strapped to a post. Basically I think the thing is a POS.

Second problem is the speed bag platform. It is painfully slow. I have replaced the swivel and it is still very slow. From my lurking on the forum it could be the rattling of the unit that is preventing the bag from working.

I am wanting to start over with this. My basement is drywalled and so i cannot strap a bag to the ceiling. I also want to try to keep the noise level to a minimum as my kids are sleeping in the morning when I train.

Can somebody get me going in the right direction?
            Hi and welcome! Maybe a freestanding water/sandfilled heavy bag? Everlast and Title both make them. I've never used one, I actually had a Century stand and grew REAL TIRED of it, but since you're worried about structural damage and noise one of those may help? I hope this was helpful

Originally posted by MelloYello
            If I were you I'd buy a <$10 drywall saw and mount that bag to the ceiling. If you're worried about joist damage I'd recommend the attached hanger that not only attaches to two joists but uses bolts through the joists instead of screws up into the joists.

The problem with those free standing units is they wobble. On the heavy bag you can live with it though I don't like to and on the speed bag it's a nightmare (on the speed bag I'd buy a $20 studfinder and mount the platform to the wall).

The main problem is that those free standing units are not much over 6' tall so when you add a ~2' chain assembly and a 6-7" spring, the top of your bag is nearly at your chest whereas the belly of the bag should be where you're punching.

By the way Tim, I think that heavy bag is way too hard. I believe that model contains either sand, sandbags, or a sand core which is why you may have given up on hitting it since it's just too hard. I'd invest in either an Everlast Super Leather training bag ($ive I know) or a waterbag (though I don't like to use waterbags since one of the Ringside's leaked on day one). A softer bag will be less strain on your hands/elbows and you might be able to get back into it
            You're so right about those freestanding units. I had a Century spedbag/heavy bag stand and tried everything to stop the wobbling and vibration. I finally gave up and saved the money to buy an Everlast adjustable wall unit. I continued to uise the Century stand for the heavy bag but hated it because I practically have to drop to my knees to hit the belly. I may have to try your suggestion. Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

• crawforde
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2009

bolt it to the floor

Hi,
              I am new here, and this is my first post, so take everything with a grain of salt.
              I picked up a free-standing Century unit recently on craigs list. That is what actually got me back into hitting bags (it as been 20 years or more, and I never used the speed bag much when I was young).
              I got frustrated with the moving and shaking pretty quickly. I was using 50 lbs of sand on the speed bag platform and 200lbs on the base. It still shook, and that cheap swivel was giving out after less than a month (I picked it up the beginning of June).
              I still have all the sand on it, but I have also bought some tap-con screws and screwed it to the floor. Now it has 6 screws and 200lbs of sand and is rock solid. Nothing has helped yet with the speed bag so I have given up on that and got a wall mount.
              I have looked at some of the videos posted here. You guys are awesome. I have a long way to go.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by crawforde View Post
                Hi,
                I am new here, and this is my first post, so take everything with a grain of salt....
                I have looked at some of the videos posted here. You guys are awesome. I have a long way to go.
                Hello and welcome to the forums. I've heard those Century swivels wear out fast, but that may be some kind of record

Comment

• crawforde
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2009

wore out swivel

I wish I could claim responsibility, but it was not exactly new when I got it

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by crawforde View Post
                    Hi,
                    I am new here, and this is my first post, so take everything with a grain of salt.
                    I picked up a free-standing Century unit recently on craigs list. I still have all the sand on it, but I have also bought some tap-con screws and screwed it to the floor. Now it has 6 screws and 200lbs of sand and is rock solid. Nothing has helped yet with the speed bag so I have given up on that and got a wall mount.
                    Hi and welcome! I had one of those Century stands and finally sold it at a garage sale.. I never thought of bolting it to the floor. I tried everything with the platform, including glorilla gluing an extra board to it..that didn't work so , like you did, I invested in a wall mounted platform and couldn't be happier.
                    Last edited by metaldad; 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...