• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steven
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2007

standing still vs moving around

What do you guys think about standing still while you hit the speed bag vs. moving around like this guy: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f5WyDGUIoQA ... The way I was taught it was to stand stationary
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

It is a very typical boxing style workout. Synonymous with "stick and move". He appears to have very good rhythm, a powerful punch and very good at trapping the bag. I'd say this man has spent some time under the board.

The noticeable difference is that he only hits the front of the bag in the basic rhythm, then does some trapping. It is much more difficult to move around like that when hitting from all around the bag like some of us do. That is some of the adaptibility of the speed bag. You can modify the way you use it for your individual style and purpose.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Steven
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2007

Yeah, thats one of the things I love about the speedbag ... so many styles out there. I think I prefer your way hitting all around the bag than just hitting the front like him. But I never did any trapping ... might be fun. That guy is a professional boxer by the way: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XjOs1suUA...elated&search=

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I really would like to build an old school platform that you could work any size bag 360 degrees. Just don't have the space to do it, though. You see pics of them at the training camps of various fighters during the early to mid twentieth century. They were set up in their own "rings", allowing one to "dance" around the bag.

Comment

• Steven
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2007

Yeah, thats what I'm trying to build. Do you have any pics of them?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Actually, look at Billy Mack's and Ninja's platforms. They're ceiling mounted and can be worked 360 degrees

Comment

• BillyMack
              • Sep 2006

Yup

Here's some quick pics of my setup. It's a 36" diameter, 2" thick quarter-sawn white oak table top. I bought it for $80 off craigslist. We had one meal on it then I tore it apart and did my thing. It is supported by 4 spring-loaded pipes and held up by one stainless steel cable. I originally planned to anchor the cable to a series of hooks to adjust for height, but I think it was Ninja who suggested a winch. I bought an electric winch for $100 which included a remote control so I can adjust the height on the fly with the touch of a button. I can also let it down as low as I want to incorporate sit ups and speed bag, not to mention the obvious 360 degree accessibility...

Comment

• ninja420
                • Jan 2007

I wish I recomeded the winch but I still think thats the best platform EVER!

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                  Here's some quick pics of my setup. It's a 36" diameter, 2" thick quarter-sawn white oak table top. I bought it for $80 off craigslist. We had one meal on it then I tore it apart and did my thing. It is supported by 4 spring-loaded pipes and held up by one stainless steel cable. I originally planned to anchor the cable to a series of hooks to adjust for height, but I think it was Ninja who suggested a winch. I bought an electric winch for $100 which included a remote control so I can adjust the height on the fly with the touch of a button. I can also let it down as low as I want to incorporate sit ups and speed bag, not to mention the obvious 360 degree accessibility...

http://picasaweb.google.com/billymackk
                  HMMMM........getting an idea.......
                  sigpic

Comment

• Steven
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post

http://picasaweb.google.com/billymackk

very impressive rig! Where do you get those metal pipe things from?

Comment

• BillyMack
                      • Sep 2006

Those are stainless steel galvanized pipe nipples. I think I used 3/4 " to fit into 1.5" You can get them at any hardware store in the plumbing section. I found some perfectly sized springs to drop into them, which help absorb vibration and keep the platform level...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...