• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • preluda97
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2007

Reinforcing a economy platform

I cant figure out what platform to buy for my apartment. I understand teh difference between certain ones with piping on the top because of ceiling heights n stuff. but they range between 50-100 bucks n stuff.. I just want one thats reliable/durable/good quality heres links to the ones i have been looking at. but i am not sure which one i shoulld get. help me out.

1.) http://store.titleboxing.com/title-c...-platform.html

2.)http://store.titleboxing.com/sbp.html

I've used the Grant Campeon speed bag at my gym and so far i like how it performs. but its the only speedbag ive tried out. Any good reccomendations on a speedbag? i dont want to spend more than 40 dollars on a speed bag. but how are the title speedbags for 19.99?

Need some help, thanks
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Option 1 should be good for you. They fit easily in a regular height ceiling and are adjustable in height after it is attached. You may want to add a box of books or sand bag on top to help the vibration stay down.

The Title bags for 20 bucks are very good. So is the Turbo bag for 12.

Comment

• preluda97
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2007

my skill level is beginner, but i can hit hte bags pretty good w/ both hands... and i kno for sure ill catch on faster and faster each time i practice. But u think i should get a 6 x 9 to start off.. ill tell you for sure the grant companeon speedbag at golds gym comes in only 5 x 8 or 6 x 9. so you think there will be a significant difference by going to the title classic speed bag for 19.99 and i kno that the different brands and different size thing and weights are different. I just dont know which size to get.. any suggestions or comments?

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by preluda97 View Post
        my skill level is beginner, but i can hit hte bags pretty good w/ both hands... and i kno for sure ill catch on faster and faster each time i practice. But u think i should get a 6 x 9 to start off.. ill tell you for sure the grant companeon speedbag at golds gym comes in only 5 x 8 or 6 x 9. so you think there will be a significant difference by going to the title classic speed bag for 19.99 and i kno that the different brands and different size thing and weights are different. I just dont know which size to get.. any suggestions or comments?
        I'm not sure if your main decision choice here is based more on size or price $. The Title 8x5 or 9x6 classic are great bags for a super price. I personally think they are a bit smaller than the advertised size, so for your level I would suggest the larger 9x6. A 9x6 is a little smaller than I like for a beginner but if price is an issue, and you can only get one bag, that is my recommendation. You can slightly under-inflate it, (leave it a bit mushy) and it will be about the same speed as a 10x7, - just a smaller target. As you improve you can put a little more air in to make it faster.

OR, you can also use it with normal inflation and just hit "lighter" with your hands. The weight of your hands alone will move that bag pretty quick. the only problem with punching "lightly" is that it doesn't really feel much like a workout, using such little force, but the control issue forces you to do that.

Good luck on your choice and merry christmas.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 12-25-2007, 11:34 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• preluda97
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2007

well heres the bag ive been punchin on. im sure u experienced speed baggers have used this bag or know stuff about it.. how do you compare this grant companeon bag available in either 5 x 8 or 6 x 9, and compare the performance in size and weight to the classic title speedbag ofr 19.99
          Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

well heres the bag ive been punchin on. im sure u experienced speed baggers have used this bag or know stuff about it.. how do you compare this grant companeon bag available in either 5 x 8 or 6 x 9, and compare the performance in size and weight to the classic title speedbag ofr 19.99
            I had the bag shown in a 6x4 size, and it was too light for my tastes. I had it for a few years, but rarely used it, prefering the 8x5. I prefered the slightly heavier weight and the length also lets me get the downward elbows in better than this teenie weenie bag. I sent my gant 6x4 to Zach Ruffo "the speed bag skunk" and he made a video with it. (Actually, he's made several...)

Personally, I prefer the Title bags because they are bit larger and hit better for me. But if you can get the Grant Bag in a larger size, it might be alright.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• preluda97
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2007

well im glad to be getting advice from the best of the best. thanks man ill let u know how everything holds up

and one more question, at the beginning of this thread i started i posted two links, what do you think of the quality of the first platform i have posted. i am interested in ordering that one. thanks

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

well im glad to be getting advice from the best of the best. thanks man ill let u know how everything holds up

and one more question, at the beginning of this thread i started i posted two links, what do you think of the quality of the first platform i have posted. i am interested in ordering that one. thanks
                Well, I appreciate that, but there are many knowledgeable and experienced board members with much insight on the topic. I may have a little "longer history", but then again: I'm a lot older than most.

I think Your first link to this Title Classic speed bag Wall-Unit is the best of the two. I like the U-shaped board attachments for they offer better support over the board than the other unit, and it is adustable.

I used an everlast version just like it for many years as my "main" board, and you can see it in several of my videos on Youtube.
                Speed Bag on modest economy board.

In fact, This board, in it's garage setting (1994), is the board used in the cover picture. I took this very board down in my garage and put it up in a spare bedroom in 1995 to shoot the Speed Bag Bible Video's a year later. Here is a picture of it in "my speed bag room". About two years ago now, I took it down (again) and put it back in my garage where I had put up another one just like it, so I now have two of these side by side in my garage, and the newer, more adjustable Primefighter unit is my main board.

The point is, that model of economy board should serve you very well. Notice in my video's and the picture that there is a lighter board (3/4 plywood) OVER the black board that came with the unit. That plywood adds a bit of extra weight to give it a bit more stability. I also would put some blankets over the top with a few ten pound weights in them to buffer the sound. It would lower the pitch of the rebound a little.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• preluda97
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2007

thanks man, i cant wait to get my platform and speedbag in and installed. GREAT HELP

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Wow, that Title classic platform was going for $59.99. That extra $10.00 bucks off makes a difference! I'll keep an eye on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

• preluda97
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2007

yeah i just ordered

Title Classic Speed Bag Platform: $49.99
                      Title Classic Speed Bag: $19.99
                      Title Wood Stud Mounting Hardware: $4.99
                      Title Mexican Hand Wrap: $3.99

Shipping: $19.99

Total: $98.95

Before i install everything i think im going to get another 1/2" plywood to install with the platform... Will the mounting hardware or screws fit all the way through or what not??? will i have trouble.. can anyone give me tips on the best way to put it, and when i get hte piece of plywood how do i make it circular? have people cut it at home depot?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

yeah i just ordered

Title Classic Speed Bag Platform: $49.99
                        Title Classic Speed Bag: $19.99
                        Title Wood Stud Mounting Hardware: $4.99
                        Title Mexican Hand Wrap: $3.99

Shipping: $19.99

Total: $98.95

Before i install everything i think im going to get another 1/2" plywood to install with the platform... Will the mounting hardware or screws fit all the way through or what not??? will i have trouble.. can anyone give me tips on the best way to put it, and when i get hte piece of plywood how do i make it circular? have people cut it at home depot?
                        I've never had luck adding wood and getting the included screws of bolts to fit. You will have to buy four longer bolts for the boards, and four bolts for the swivel. Take your swivel with you to make sure the bolts you buy will fit through them. (I hate screwing a swivel on a board, but if you use screws, you won't need longer ones for this.)

The wood doesn't have to be circular, but has to be able to fit, since you will put it over your round board, and then the brackets go over it. I usually put my pre-drilled board over the new board, and draw the circular outline on the plywood. Then I cut the plywood a little larger than the circular outline. I don't worry about making it a perfect circle since it's up out of the way anyhow. But if you really want a nice clean looking finish, you might want to cut it precisely.

After I've cut the size, I put the "new" plywood on the ground, put my round board with the pre-drilled holes over the top of it, then stick a pencil through the pre-drilled holes to mark the plywood. (* don't forget the swivel holes!) Then drill these holes out, so they match. Another method was to lay the new plywood on saw horses, lay the pre-drilled board over the top, hold it steady and then just stick the drill through the pre-drilled holes and drill out the new wood. I use a small drill for this, as not to damage the pre-drilled cheapo presswood. (swivel holes too) Then I expand the plywood holes after so the bolts will fit though. (make sure your swivel holes align).

Then I put the board together with the brackets over them and measure/estimate the length carriage bolts needed to go through them all.

1. I hang my wood runners (1x4 or 2x4) on the wall first, attaching them to studs.

2. then I hang my vertical wall mounting brackets. (make sure they are level.) drilling these into the wall studs. (that unit should be set for studs on 16 inch centers, so if you don't use wood runners, these should attach to studs if possible.) Screw all these down tight.

3. then I assemble the horizontal U-brackets to the wood by bolting them on loosely.

4. Then I attach the U-brackets and boards to the vertical wall mounts.

(** steps 3 & 4 can be changed. Some people attach the U-shaped horizontal metal brackets to the vertical wall mounts first, and then attach the wooden board(s) after. It's just personal preference, for either way will work.)

5. then I attache the swivel, and put a bag on it.

6. After all the parts are attached, loosely. I set the height I want. (That is what the bag is for). I push the boards up until the belly of the bag is where I want it, and hand tighten the carriage bolts that hold the U-shaped horizontal brackets to the vertical frame.

7. Then I put a level of the top of the boards and underneath to make any minor adjustments. You really want the board as level as possible. this is an important step.

8. Then I tighten everything up until they are all ratchet tight. Then I punch it a few times to see how it works. If nothing falls down, you're golden (until the neighbor complain.. )
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• preluda97
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2007

damn i forgot bout the neighbors, guess they'll just have to deal with it....

And what if i dont put a piece of plywood there.. any afffect on performance???? u kno wat i mean?

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

And what if i dont put a piece of plywood there.. any afffect on performance???? u kno wat i mean?

Is the drum (round part) one piece or two? Some platforms come with the drum in two separate pieces... and you screw them together. In my experience those 2 part ones vibrate significantly more. That being said you'll probably be fine without extra wood, when you start hitting really fast the vibration may cause problems, but if you stick to smaller size bags that will minimize the problem. i.e. a 10x7 bag has a lot more inertia and vibration caused than a 9x6 or 8x5, as an example.

I'd probably hang it and give it a try and add wood at some point in the future.

Oh, and good choice on the Title Classic speed bag... that's a great bag at a bargain price. The title classic and other bags (the 24.99 ones) are just as good and possibly better than more expensive bags.

The only other suggestion I would make is that you may want to ditch the Title "Pro Style" swivel and put an Everlast plastic ball hook on there instead. If you plan on hitting from all sides (side, back, and front) the ball hook is best. If you plan on hitting "boxing style" (i.e. the front only) the pro style swivel is fine. The everlast ball hook can be found in any major sporting goods store for about $10-12.
                            Last edited by Tim; 12-28-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

damn i forgot bout the neighbors, guess they'll just have to deal with it....

The board (drum) that comes with the Title Speed Bag Classic wall unit is listed as 3/4 of an inch. My experience has been that 24 inch boards of this thickness of material are just not heavy enough to withstand the pounding, and vibrate when struck hard. Particularly if you use an 11x8 or 10x7 bag, which extend pretty close to the end.

It might be an easier fix to add sand bags or some sort over the top than to cut and drill a plywood or other hardwood board to go over the top. But sometimes it is hard to get the weight of the sand, or other material, evenly distributed all over the top of the board.

But Tim's suggestion is really a good one. put it up as it is supplied, and see if it works alright. You can always take the board down
                              (4 carriage bolts hold it on) and add wood later, if you want.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...