• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • natas
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2008

Straps to reduce vibration in freestanding unit

Hello Im new here but have been reading threads for awhile now. I have the everlast heavybag and speedbag stand. I bought the 24 inch pine top from lowes. some questions before I start drilling.
    Do I have to use both or could I use just the pine?
    Do I have use the straps?
    The straps I have came kind of twisted.
    Are they suppose to be flat? or arched in the middle?
    I did buy a ball swivel what an improvement over that chain one. Thanks for any help.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by natas View Post
    Hello Im new here but have been reading threads for awhile now. I have the everlast heavybag and speedbag stand. I bought the 24 inch pine top from lowes. some questions before I start drilling.
    Do I have to use both or could I use just the pine?
    Do I have use the straps?
    The straps I have came kind of twisted.
    Are they suppose to be flat? or arched in the middle?
    I did buy a ball swivel what an improvement over that chain one. Thanks for any help.
    Hi natas

First of all you said: I have the everlast heavybag and speedbag stand. Unfortunately, There a various types of this stand, so I don't know exactly what one you are speaking of. For any specific modifications, We would have to actually see the unit, particularly to answer your other 3 questions

1: Do I have to use both or could I use just the pine?

For more stability you could use both, or just use the pine alone. You will probably need about a 25-40 pound sand bag over the top either way.

2: Do I have use the straps?

Their are many kinds of "straps" that could be used. I prefer tie down ratchet straps with hooks because you can adjust the tension. But the truth is, it type of straps that will work really depends on how the unit is designed and where you can attach the straps. Many of the everlast uinits I have seen would need some other modifications to make attachment points out wide enough to be useful.

3: The straps I have came kind of twisted are they suppose to be flat? or arched in the middle?

That really depends on the straps, but when I used three in my own setup they laid flat.

but my setup shown is on a old unit that is no longer available. There are a few key points that may not be relevant to YOURS. My unit was made of hollow square iron and channel iron, which made hook point attachments simple. Second, It had pretty wide floor pods, which allowed the straps to go out from iron holding the board (center point attachment) going OUT wide and behind to the floor pods. That kept the straps out of my movement and swing range. The more modern freestanding units like you have normally do not have that kind of floor arrangement.
    The best video I have online of this particular floor unit in action is Danger Zone which is from 1997. Notice over the board the center iron for the hook attachments, and I the straps go out wide from over the board and back to the floor pods (can't see the floor pods). I had the straps adjusted very tight and you can still see the board swaying.

I'm not sure I could do this with the modern freestanding units.

Hope some of this helps you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...