• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
    My teachers 52 and still does no less the 500 push ups every day. He is in better shape than most 20 y/o's I see in the Service.
    They all look to be in great shape. I certainly hope I'm still that active at age 52.

these 3 have all been a significant influence on my life and who I am today. I've been with my teacher since I was 14. (Now Im 36 and getting ready to go to class tonite)
    I think that demonstrates quite a bit of consistency and self discipline!

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
      My teachers 52 and still does no less the 500 push ups every day. He is in better shape than most 20 y/o's I see in the Service.

I wish I had the consistancy and self discipline. (Working on it)

In the pic: Dr/Grandmaster Vince Black (L-standing), Sijo Adriano D. Emperado (Kajukenbo Style of Self Defense founding father - seated) and my teacher Grandmaster Greg Harper (aka KAJUPIT) (R-standing).

these 3 have all been a significant influence on my life and who I am today. I've been with my teacher since I was 14. (Now Im 36 and getting ready to go to class tonite)

500 pushups? God Bles him!! I'm really getting into the Hindu pushup/Divebomber and pullups(not chin ups) I'm finally back to 10 reps, shooting for the standard 20 plus. Ican only do 50 hindu pushups.Bodyweight exercise rules!! Weights are great but antime anywhere for body weight.
      sigpic

Comment

• Geronimo
        • Sep 2009

I wasnt in the service but have been working push ups on regular for while, 10-20 sets of 20-30 reps rest switch to inner position pushups, rest, n so forth. Only thing I ever noticed is on days I BP I dont press to many Pushups prior to BP that day, I use them as a burn out after my BP sets are done. In the past when Id wake up and burn out 200 Pushups, and then later that day benchpress I noticebly saw that my BP sets where burning out at the 8th - 10th rep vs days id be easier on the pushups prior or none at all the BP sets were smoother and easier. Obviously this is due to fatigue in the muscles from the push up sets prior to BP.

Comment

• bigpete405
          • Oct 2009

I do pushups and pullups at least 3 times a week. Some times the days I go to powerhouse or just if im bored after I hit the bags at my house. It's your own bodyweight so you are less likely to overtrain.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Somehow this thread escaped me till now, interesting reading. Maybe I’ve developed tendonitis in front of my shoulders, or whatever, because that is the spot that keeps me from hitting everyday along with many other daily exercises. I agree you have to listen to your body and see what works for you. I try to do something everyday for about at least an hour that gives the tired part of my body a rest till I can work that part again.

In my “yout” I was able to do 50 strict full up and down chin ups in a row. Past injuries since changed what I can do but through this forum and other sources, it is good inspiration to work at keeping fit.

Metaldad, I will look at those books you posted if they are at the library.

Darn, I’ve looked at those pushup bars many times, now I will go and get them. Walmart has them on sale for $15.

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
              Somehow this thread escaped me till now, interesting reading. Maybe I’ve developed tendonitis in front of my shoulders, or whatever, because that is the spot that keeps me from hitting everyday along with many other daily exercises. I agree you have to listen to your body and see what works for you. I try to do something everyday for about at least an hour that gives the tired part of my body a rest till I can work that part again.

In my “yout” I was able to do 50 strict full up and down chin ups in a row. Past injuries since changed what I can do but through this forum and other sources, it is good inspiration to work at keeping fit.

Metaldad, I will look at those books you posted if they are at the library.

Darn, I’ve looked at those pushup bars many times, now I will go and get them. Walmart has them on sale for $15.
              atgatt you cant beat the push up bars mate! i do 5 sets wide 5 sets shoulder width and 5 sets narrow! about 6 inches apart all to failure it blows the triceps up like balloons!!

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

I wonder what the optimum push up, pull up, dip type regiment would be, that would'nt
                hinder your speedbaggin'? I know that after any weight training, heavy push/pull up workouts, it'll make you tight and more lethargic.
                This would be a great question to pose to ScissorHands, he maintains a good physique and does some kick-ass baggin'.
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                  atgatt you cant beat the push up bars mate! i do 5 sets wide 5 sets shoulder width and 5 sets narrow! about 6 inches apart all to failure it blows the triceps up like balloons!!
                  fingers, when you say push up bars, are you talking about simple bars that are raised off the floor and don't rotate as you do the pushup? Like these:

Because I will try those and not the Perfect Pushup that rotates, after seeing this:

Dr. Hebert looks at the perfect push-up machine and if it is for you.

TJ, I just think I have front shoulder problems, nothing to do with what I'm doing in exercising I don't think.

Today I had a PICC line put in my right arm to feed me antibiotics from a jaw infection I've been trying to beat. The good news is the Dr said I could hit the bags even with it in. Not today though because it is sore. Maybe I'm the first to ever hit the bags with an IV attached to me. "Cool".

Comment

• fingers
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • May 2008

atgatt yes just the basic ones, gives a great workout arms, shoulders,chest,and back.

Comment

• Exercise Mats
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2011

I've been mixing push ups into my daily workout routine for abut the past three months and I'm happy with the changes I'm seeing to my body.

I grew up playing hockey and soccer and snowboarding, which tends to develop your legs and core while leaving your upper body mostly untouched. Combining something so simple as push ups with a little other exercise on the beach, I've been able to bulk my arms up quite a bit over these past 3 months or so... a lot more than I would have guessed. I got so wrapped up in these complex exercises I read about in the mags and see other people doing, that I forgot about this simple exercise, that probably became so popular in the first place because it works.

Comment

• harrymartin
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2016

hey man the problem is is that your not increasing them. that means to increase about 10 times daily until the weekend, then rest. plus you should do sit ups and crunches they help your stomach and chest also back pushups they hurt but there freakin worth it hope i helped bye.

best legal steroids
                        Last edited by harrymartin; 02-04-2016, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• OneidaMorrison
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2016

You are doing really good. you should continue it.

Comment

• nogibjjgear00
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Apr 2020

Pushups seems hard at first and muscles seems sore but you get used to it. I could barely do 3 pushups when i first started and now its been 30 days and i can easily do 33. The trick i used is adding 1 pushup daily to my 3 sets so in short. Yes you should be fine. If anything i believe it is actually good for you.

Comment

• Keith78
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2020

Push ups plays important role in strengthening shoulders, and they are also included in my training plan. But my coach advised me to not them at my rest day.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...