X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Warming up for the speed bag?

Just joined a few days ago. This is my first post. I did some searching, but didn't find this topic anywhere. My questions are:

1. Do you recommend any specific stretches or some sort of general warm-up before working out on the speed bag?
    2. Can hitting the speed bag (let's say using the basic rhythm) at a slow pace for a few minutes simultaneously serve as a warm-up and also stretch the appropriate muscles before working out?
    3. Do you recommend any sort of cool down or do you just stop?
  • speedbag4life
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
    Just joined a few days ago. This is my first post. I did some searching, but didn't find this topic anywhere. My questions are:

1. Do you recommend any specific stretches or some sort of general warm-up before working out on the speed bag?
    2. Can hitting the speed bag (let's say using the basic rhythm) at a slow pace for a few minutes simultaneously serve as a warm-up and also stretch the appropriate muscles before working out?
    Hi Eighty Eight. Welcome to the Forum. You've found a great place.

I don't warm up before hitting the bag. I do hit conservatively for the first ten minutes or so, stopping every couple min. to stretch pecs, traps, and lats. I usually do a cool-down, to some degree, depending on how long I've been hitting. If I've been at it for more than an hour, I try to remember to stretch afterward.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I don't stretch. I just start hitting, slowly and carefully. I gradually speed up over about 5-10 minutes. I work out for about 30-35 minutes and then the last 10-20 minutes of the workout is a cool down, usually practicing new techniques, hitting very slowly.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Having had an inordinate amount of shoulder problems, particularly in my left, I now do some shoulder warm ups before hitting. Mostly a movement called "the Pendulum", which is basically bending over, letting the arm hand down, and doing arm circles. this movement eliminates gravity or the need to contract any muscles or tendons within the shoulder joint, and allows the joint space to open. there are some other stretches listed on that site.

Yes, I think so. Along with the above stretch, I start hitting slowly, and do some slow and easy outward and downward elbow strikes, which offer a much great shoulder range of motion than the fist punches.

"Back in the day"... I went about my business after a speed bag session, either lifting weights, playing racquetball or martial arts. (I was busy..), but as I aged and got a few shoulder / elbow dings, I starting icing one joint or the other after a particularly hard workout to reduce swelling. Actually, I've been doing that for about 15 years in on form or another, and keep several of those heat and cold gel packs in the freezer.

A back of peas works wonders also.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...