• Sep 2009

I like it.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      I like it.
      Me too. Add these 3 punch monty combos together and get a new challenge walking the hands around the bag..

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
        A new combo a day keeps the doctor away.

This one is a real tricky one to keep going without a windmill forming. I suppose it's because the points on the bag are unseen for the reverse punches, and after them it is tricky to judge the distance for making the side single punches.
        There are just two techniques in this combo, repeated alternating left and right lead. (RDP)'(SSP)''(RDP)'(SSP)'' repeat. R-L-R--L-R-L

And this combo is the same thing but done from the front of the bag. And is a lot easier. Still fun though. It goes (FDP)'(SSP)''(FDP)'(SSP)'' repeat.

Also R-L-R--L-R-L

Great demo. All correct, however SWM I hope you notice the difference. In the combo with the Reverse Double Punch (RDP) combo, the SSP in this combo does not easily return to lead the next RDP. It is not a normal directional move, so the combination alternates to the other side, caused by changing the fist order of the RDP. It rotates easily from R-L to L-R.

The same is not really true for the second combination. That SSP could very easily return front to lead the next Front Double Punch (FDP), so the fist order could very easily stay the same. L-R ' L '' ... repeat L-R ' L.
        The SSP naturally returns front and "almost always" you will find the last fist in a combination to return to the front of the bag will lead the next technique. Of course, you can purposefully "rotate the fist order" of that next FDP, which is what you are doing.

To see this more directly, Try that second combination with a SDP instead of a SSP.

FDP ' ' SDP ' ' ....REPEAT.

notice how a L-R ' ' R-L fist order will naturally repeat. I colored the red L to indicate that this fist is also the SSP used in your FDP ' SSP combo. It is the second fist of the SDP. All I did here is add the lead fist in front to make it a SDP, and show how much easier it is to do this combo with the same fist order. Now, rotate the fist order of the FDP and you will also change the SDP to the other side, but... you have to think about rotating the fist order of the FDP. It is not a natural flow.

At least not to me.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

I hadn't considered that until I read your post and but now I see what you mean with these two combos. Some movements just flow together and others don't aye. Such as repeat (D-DES)'''(D-DES)''' on the same arm. Doesn't flow freely but can easily be done, but if you alternate arms, the continuous (D-DES) does flow.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I hadn't considered that until I read your post and but now I see what you mean with these two combos. Some movements just flow together and others don't aye. Such as repeat (D-DES)'''(D-DES)''' on the same arm. Doesn't flow freely but can easily be done, but if you alternate arms, the continuous (D-DES) does flow.

just for fun, add your elbows into the combination. Make each Double Punch a Triple Elbow Strike. Front Double Punch (FDP) becomes Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) and Side Double Punch (SDP) becomes (S-TES).

FDP ' ' ' SDP become O-TES ' ' ' S-TES. [ R-R\L ' ' ' L-L\R]
            Try to rotate the leading front elbow on that.

You can create and interesting variation by adding a Reverse Double Punch (RDP) into the mix

O-TES ' ' ' S-TES ' ' ' RDP.

You have a choice of fist order on the RDP IF you lead the RDP with the first fist to connect in the S-TES, you will repeat the combo on the same side. If you use the last (second fist) of the S-TES, you will alternate the combo to the other side of the bag. ( do it fast and people will never figure out how you did that.. )

R-R\L ' ' ' L-L\R] ' ' ' L-R = same side R-R\L ' ' ' L-L\R] ' ' ' L-R

R-R\L ' ' ' L-L\R] ' ' ' R-L = Opposite side L-L\R ' ' ' R-R\L] ' ' '....RDP (choice)

..or make the RDP a three punch Fist roll to change sides.

There's so many variations at your disposal.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              just for fun, add your elbows into the combination. Make each Double Punch a Triple Elbow Strike. Front Double Punch (FDP) becomes Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) and Side Double Punch (SDP) becomes (S-TES).

You can create and interesting variation by adding a Reverse Double Punch (RDP) into the mix

You have a choice of fist order on the RDP IF you lead the RDP with the first fist to connect in the S-TES, you will repeat the combo on the same side. If you use the last (second fist) of the S-TES, you will alternate the combo to the other side of the bag. ( do it fast and people will never figure out how you did that.. )

R-R\L ' ' ' L-L\R] ' ' ' R-L = Opposite side L-L\R ' ' ' R-R\L] ' ' '....RDP (choice)

I ran straight out to my bag this morning to try it out but this first combo was all I had time for. Had to actually do some work today. But here it is. I think. Pretty confusing combo but I really enjoyed giving it a crack. Cheers to the King! I look forward to tomorrow and having a jab at the rest of them

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Had a go at this today and here is what I got..

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

I hit some new combos today.
                  Here is a (SSP)'(D-TES). It looks like i'm doing a (SSP)'(D-DES) but if you look closely, or slow motion, I hit the bag twice with the left hand before the downward elbow connects. This was a good warm up for the next one..

This is one of Alan's combinations that he suggested I try! Cheers to the King for sharing this innovative combo with me! The thing I especially like about this one is how the (right) elbow changes sides of the body from the (S-TES) to the (D-TES) while the left hand keeps the bag busy with a (SSP) then a (FCP) on one rebound.

It goes (I-TES)'(I-TES)'(S-TES)'(D-TES)
                  Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 10-27-2015, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I hit some new combos today.
                    Here is a (SSP)'(D-TES). It looks like i'm doing a (SSP)'(D-DES) but if you look closely, or slow motion, I hit the bag twice with the left hand before the downward elbow connects. This was a good warm up for the next one..

This is one of Alan's combinations that he suggested I try! Cheers to the King for sharing this innovative combo with me! The thing I especially like about this one is how the (right) elbow changes sides of the body from the (S-TES) to the (D-TES) while the left hand keeps the bag busy with a (SSP) then a (FCP) on one rebound.

It goes (I-TES)'(I-TES)'(S-TES)'(D-TES)
                    Beautiful. So you should now see that after that SSP (or any of the three techniques that use it SSP, SDP and STES) You can have that same fist return to the front and lead after 1 or 2 rebounds. It is your choice. I'd say 99% of the time it will be SSP ' ' D-TES. That is what the normal angle of rebound allows easiest. Your "one rebound" combo shows how you can actually clip the bag at any point within the rebound to redirect it. When you do that of course you change the speed and timing of the movement for just a moment, but with practice you will learn to do it at YOUR will, thereby bending or breaking the normal rules of rhythm.

And remember, when you do a lot of combinations, from ANY sides of the bag with only one rebound it becomes like a Fist Roll. SO, for fun, try to get into, and out of those combinations both From and To a Front Fist Roll (F-Roll). Start the Roll, add in an outward or Downward Triple Elbow, go to the advance combination you're working on with one rebound between the parts, and then exit it to the Front Fist Roll again, or go out the back door and end it with the Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll). (*remember, you can always go to a RSP with the opposite hand from SSP one "1" rebound, so ending with a S-TES to Reverse Roll is pretty easy. S-TES ' RSP. You already did S-TES ' D-TES to the front. After the D-TES in front you could let that last fist begin the Front First Roll.

Is this fun or what!
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2015

In regards to the rules of rhythm I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was on my way to drop my kids off to kindy. A change of direction of 90 degrees from the last strike is not the opposite side of the bag, nor is it the same side. So one, two, three or any number of rebounds can be used so long as the bag is hit at the point in time when it is hanging plumb below the swivel. Whereas hitting the same side of the bag can only work on an odd number and opposite sides can only work on an even number of rebounds. This is what makes the side single punch especially but side techniques in general so versatile? You can add them in so many ways and they join reverse techniques as well as they do front techniques.

The fun never ends! Actually more fun every day.

Today I hit the combo from yesterday but this time alternating between a left and right hand lead with three rebounds
                      (SSP)'(D-TES)'''(SSP)'(D-TES)

Then cut it down to one rebound and it became
                      (SSP)'(D-TES)'(SSP)'(D-TES)... very spicy. Hard to prevent a windmill forming! Try it!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

In regards to the rules of rhythm I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was on my way to drop my kids off to kindy. A change of direction of 90 degrees from the last strike is not the opposite side of the bag, nor is it the same side. So one, two, three or any number of rebounds can be used so long as the bag is hit at the point in time when it is hanging plumb below the swivel. Whereas hitting the same side of the bag can only work on an odd number and opposite sides can only work on an even number of rebounds. This is what makes the side single punch especially but side techniques in general so versatile? You can add them in so many ways and they join reverse techniques as well as they do front techniques.
                        Absolutely. Understanding and controlling the SSP opens a new portal of possibilities. And then, I expanded that thought to the other sides. IF a slight variation in fist contact angle (moving it a smidge left or right) made such a difference from the side, wouldn't that work from the front or back? Of course it would. If I step completely to the side of bag, making it the front, then the front area would become the side area and the same rules apply. So, with control you can vary your Front, side or reverse contact points just a bit and open up new possibilities. And remember, the FSP is also open to that idea, for a Front Straight Punch (FSP) becomes a Hook Punch when the striking surface hits more of the side panel than front.

Truth is, the bag can be hit from any direction at any point in the rebound. If it is a clean, good contact punch than the bag will do what it is supposed to, ergo- go off in the direction the fist or elbow sent it.

The fun never ends! Actually more fun every day.

Today I hit the combo from yesterday but this time alternating between a left and right hand lead with three rebounds

(SSP)'(D-TES)'''(SSP)'(D-TES)

Then cut it down to one rebound and it became

(SSP)'(D-TES)'(SSP)'(D-TES)... very spicy. Hard to prevent a windmill forming! Try it!

If it works on "3" rebounds it will also work on "1", just faster.

I like that "same fist double bump" D-TES ' SSP. Never seen that one before. That would also work from a D-DES.

From an O-TES, double bumping that last fist is interesting off the FSP position. Could also do off the FDP ' SSP. ?? Well, if it works off the O-TES it has to work off the FDP because the FDP is the last two parts of the O-TES.

In the above combo, SSP ' DTES.... Consider the option of using the "same side elbow" to do SSP ' O-TES or O-D 4way.

You could also shadow the lead punch with the other fist.

SSP ' FSP (shadow), doing an O-TES in a F/E-F order instead of E-F/F. ..... such as (L_SSP ' R_FSP)

* SSP ' ' FSP is normally done with 2 rebounds but the combination will still work. You can chose 1,2 or 3 rebounds.

You are making this look SOOOOoooo easy! ahh!
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 10-28-2015, 10:41 AM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Learned to do (SSP)'(O-TES)'''(SSP)'(O-TES) today. Feels way different to the dtes version. Having to get the arm across the body means the fist has to travel a lot further between hits.

With just one rebound I had go get my limbs organised to find a flow. There is not a lot of room for error on these one rebound combos. It pays to just listen for the sound, throw the shapes and the bag will follow.
                          (SSP)'(O-TES)'(SSP)'(O-TES)... and some of the other combos I have recently learned.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Cracked this (new for me) combination. It goes (RSP)''(FCP)'(STES)'' repeat...

I have copied the amazing Ataraxis for this combo. It's just a single fist pass through and a side triple elbow strike but I kinda like it..

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Learned to do (SSP)'(O-TES)'''(SSP)'(O-TES) today. Feels way different to the dtes version. Having to get the arm across the body means the fist has to travel a lot further between hits.

With just one rebound I had go get my limbs organised to find a flow. There is not a lot of room for error on these one rebound combos. It pays to just listen for the sound, throw the shapes and the bag will follow.
                              (SSP)'(O-TES)'(SSP)'(O-TES)... and some of the other combos I have recently learned.
                              After the SSP, are you using the SAME fist to hit (shadow) front circle Punch ? Looks like that at the opening combo's.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Cracked this (new for me) combination. It goes (RSP)''(FCP)'(STES)'' repeat...

I have copied the amazing Ataraxis for this combo. It's just a single fist pass through and a side triple elbow strike but I kinda like it..

R (RSP) ' ' R (FCP) ' L-L/R (STES)... or left lead on the other side....
                                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...