• ShedBagger
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2011

Links Metal Ball and Swivel

Anyone ever tried these?

• Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

That's the Watkins, which has been on back order for the last quarter century

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That's a Vapor Swivel. If they had any class they would take the add down. It's always on "Back Order". Well, at least for the past 2 years. I don't know how far back that means, but it must be closer to the Aussie out-back than their warehouse.....
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2010

Does anyone even have one of these? Or are they like a myth?

If anyone has one of these, i was wondering if the base/housing is heavy durable steel, or that cheap flaky cast steel that chips, and flakes apart by the shank like hard candy?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
          Does anyone even have one of these? Or are they like a myth?

If anyone has one of these, i was wondering if the base/housing is heavy durable steel, or that cheap flaky cast steel that chips, and flakes apart by the shank like hard candy?
          Yes, I have two of them. They sent them to me for review back in 2007, (which is the last time I think they had any) and I made the video review seen below, and posted a link to their website from speedbagcentral.

A few months later I started getting a good many emails concerning the link and problems people had with "months and months delay" on receiving the order, and if I could check on it for them. The same thing happened on this forum as more and more members get getting the "back order" excuse, which I don't understand because they told me they actually made the swivels in their own location. The had sent me a few extra balls and hooks not long after this video. You will still find a link to my review on their site. Funny, I removed mine to them some time ago.

I have often thought that I should remove this videoclip from Youtube, but then again companies come and go, but amazing hairstyles live on forever, and mine was making a real statement that day...so I decided to leave it up.

funny story, I was hitting this swivel during one take for this review, and the eyeshank blasted right out of the ball. "Take 2"
          Last edited by Speedbag; 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• GTRYDER
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

I just got a call today from John Watkins saying the swivels are back in stock. My question is if its really worth getting one if I already have a Deville?
            http://www.youtube.com/user/GTRYDER97

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by GTRYDER View Post
              I just got a call today from John Watkins saying the swivels are back in stock. My question is if its really worth getting one if I already have a Deville?
              I would say yes, if you can get one. It may become a collectors item again in the near future. I've heard from a few other SBF members that they were currently in stock but the back orders could cover their present allotment. The two I used a few years ago were good swivels, but since they have reportedly gone to a "new source", to produce the swivel, a source that may or may not have used the same materials or metal grade of the swivel that I used, I cannot speak to the quality or action of their current model.

Oddly, they haven't changed the picture on the website to reflect the current swivel.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2010

From the Photo, and at first glance These appear to be an "Okay" swivel, but like someone said on the Forum: Even the Photo is deceiving. They took the shot at an angle that doesn't show the massive S-Hook. Even though they offer a smaller S-Hook now... and the only reason they do offer the smaller S-Hook now is because AK recommended they do so <-- if my memory serves me correctly.

I ordered one of these swivels last June, waited around 2 months, sent several emails regarding the status of my order, NONE of these emails were replied to.
                Finally i called them up to cancel the Order, and they were quite rude on the phone.

Once a business destroys trust with a customer, it can never be regained totally.

In order for me to ever order anything from this company, i would have to:

1. order over the phone.

2. make them call the warehouse (while i'm on the same line) to see if they have the item i want, ready to ship to ME.

3. i would also have to stay on the phone with them and walk them through the boxing, and shipping of my order. HAHAHA. TAKE THAT john watkins. BOOM! haha

Anything short of that, i wouldn't trust this company any further than i could under hand toss them.

I Joke, Because I'm a Joker, and because i can.
                Attached Files

Comment

• MMurphy162
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2012

Mine arrived yesterday in the mail from http://www.fitness-equipment.com. I hung it and broke it in about 3 minutes. Yep no kidding. However, in less than ten minutes I had it fixed and (i think) totally functional. The problem is that the pin is not threaded into the ball. There is a small hole in the side of the ball that I think they use to peen the pin. There are no threads in the small hole either for a set screw. However, you can't see any of this until you get the pin to fly out because it is up inside of the housing. If you apply a small tack weld to the top of the ball and pin it doesn't interfere with the movement. This is no different than gluing the pin into the plastic balls.

Comment

• MMurphy162
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Feb 2012

One thing I was thinking about doing and I'd like some advice on this is to put a cotton ball up in the area between the swivel ball and the drum. The reason for this is I could put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on the cotton ball and it would lube the ball. Also it would tend to grab and hold any metal shavings for later removal. There is about 3/4" of space up there.

Comment

• GTRYDER
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2012

After reading that I think I"ll stick with my Deville...
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/GTRYDER97

Comment

• tstein3233
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Aug 2008

Watkins Ball-hook

Time flies when you're having fun...after a short 9 month wait, my swivel arrived today as promised (re-promised 6 times). Installed and test run:

First Impression is the overall length is excessive - from top of swivel to top of bag loop measures at least 3.5 inches, due to large eye and giant S-hook. Per John Watkins, this to accommodate the wide variety of bags out there. My follow-up question shoulda been, "speed bags or golf bags?" This could be a game-changer! At any rate, the action is smooth, as previously reported by AK. Wonder if it'll be durable.

At least the ball-hook well is no longer dry. I've had luck at my local Play It Again Sports finding Everlasts - 2 plastic and one metal; now the Watkins is back in play; and last and definitely the best choice, we have the Deville swivel option (my fav).

I consider myself 'de-lurked' now. Have a good weekend ALL! BTW, this forum is great, thanks.
                        TStein

Comment

• Tim
                          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by tstein3233 View Post
                          Time flies when you're having fun...after a short 9 month wait, my swivel arrived today as promised (re-promised 6 times). Installed and test run:

First Impression is the overall length is excessive - from top of swivel to top of bag loop measures at least 3.5 inches, due to large eye and giant S-hook. Per John Watkins, this to accommodate the wide variety of bags out there. My follow-up question shoulda been, "speed bags or golf bags?" This could be a game-changer! At any rate, the action is smooth, as previously reported by AK. Wonder if it'll be durable.

At least the ball-hook well is no longer dry. I've had luck at my local Play It Again Sports finding Everlasts - 2 plastic and one metal; now the Watkins is back in play; and last and definitely the best choice, we have the Deville swivel option (my fav).

I consider myself 'de-lurked' now. Have a good weekend ALL! BTW, this forum is great, thanks.
                          Wow, lurking for almost 3.5 years! Welcome. Thanks for the thoughts on the watkins.

Comment

• tstein3233
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Wow, lurking for almost 3.5 years! Welcome. Thanks for the thoughts on the watkins.
                            Unsure where that join date of Aug 08 came from...been hanging around about 6 mos I'd say. I enjoy the Foruml Just busy making a living , raising a family, we all know the drill...
                            TStein

Comment

• tstein3233
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                              ...yah i think if anybody wants a very quiet and smooth ball hook swivel than this is the one to get. i can't believe how quiet it is compared to the metal ones, WOW super sick swivel ;-)...ralph
                              I agree Ralph and have done exactly that. How receptive has Watkins been to "The Forum" over the years?
                              TStein

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...