New Member RKahn post my info and Training Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RKahn
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2017

New Member RKahn post my info and Training Question?

Hello all. My name is Richard Kahn, no relation to Alan Kahn. I'm 64 now. I was a competitive martial artist. My black belt credentials are on the web at https://www.fpg-usa.com/richard-kahn...lt-credentials

I live in Homestead, Florida. I have a home DOJO (karate training place) where I exercise, practice self defense techniques (we have 600) and work out.

I recently saw some Alan Kahn videos on YouTube videos including one of him performing over the years since University. I also checked out a student of his, SpeedSkunk videos. I'm hooked.

I installed an Everlast adjustable. I put 2 extra 24" round wood pieces from Home Depot on top of the one 1" platform so its heavy but adjusts easily. I have one 6"x8" Hawk leather bag and I recently won an Everlast 7"x10" on ebay.

I've been practicing for about a week. My hands are a little tender but I have MMA fight gloves and sparring gloves. I took a photo but I don't yet have permissions below to manage or upload a photo. When I do, that's coming.

I ordered Mr. Kahn's book Speed Bag Bible and Art of the Bag dvd online. So here's my question Does Mr. Kahn put out actual training DVD's?

I'm going to get good at this. Maybe by the next biennial Kenpo Gathering of Eagles and Hall of Fame gathering in August 2019 I can put up a demonstration and feature to several hundred hard core martial artists and their students to get them interested.

I hit heavy bags tens of thousands of times in training when I was younger. In fact, I have no sensation in my shins and the tops of my feet from those years of smashing. Our gyms didn't have speed bags for some unknown and silly reason. I know martial artists all over the USA and world and no one I know (we have 3,000 + black belts on our family tree) has ever done a demo or used a speed bag in training. Once I acquire the skills, I may be able to influence a change in that in our system Kenpo Karate

So let me know if Mr. Alan Kahn has any specific training dvds. I'm honored and pleased to be a part of this forum as I'm very interested and now a remote student of Alan Kahn's techniques. Thank you sir!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RKahn; 12-18-2017, 09:15 AM.
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Welcome to the forum. And yes there are DVDs with the Speed Bag Bible on it. Amazon and other sites sell it. From what I hear from boxers and martial arts people I have met, a lot of them consider the speed bag to be nonessential. All too many of them say it is useless for fighting. I just know that almost all of the best boxers in the world not have only mastered the other training aids (Heavy bag, double end end bag) but have mastered the speed bag (at least in the boxing triplet style). To me it seems like the older generation boxers seemed to have every fundamental down. Sonny Liston while a bruiser and brawler did have the finesse to rock a speed bag. Ali speaks for himself on any equipment he touched.

It would be great if more people got involved in this great activity.

Comment

• RKahn
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2017

Training vids and martial artists

Hi. Agreed.
      In my system there are over 3,000 black belts and I’m hooked in to the top ranked masters. Once I get some good skills I will post some vids to my Facebook and bet feel it will surely spark some interest. They’d then probably invite me to do a seminar at the biennial Kenpo Gathering of Eagles (google it) and that could trigger widespread interest. The owner of Century is in the group too. I’m not going to mak mobile platform setups but by then maybe someone has a few loaners and something can happen. In the meantime I’m just a speed bag white belt! But I’m on it.

I understood from Tim’s initial letter that Alan Kahn may be selling the 4 dvd package and I’d rather buy from him. Not sure how to ask him.

Thanks for your reply. I saw your workout vid. Awesome! )

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by RKahn View Post

I understood from Tim’s initial letter that Alan Kahn may be selling the 4 dvd package and I’d rather buy from him. Not sure how to ask him.
        First off...Welcome to the forum! ...and thank you for your support of "Art of the Bag" (hope you enjoyed the film).

Here's a link to information on how to get Alan's DVD's, etc.

You can also PM him here on the speedbag forum.

Cheers,
        -Zaza
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello all. My name is Richard Kahn, no relation to Alan Kahn. I'm 64 now. I was a competitive martial artist. My black belt credentials are on the web at https://www.fpg-usa.com/richard-kahn...lt-credentials

I live in Homestead, Florida. I have a home DOJO (karate training place) where I exercise, practice self defense techniques (we have 600) and work out.

I recently saw some Alan Kahn videos on YouTube videos including one of him performing over the years since University. I also checked out a student of his, SpeedSkunk videos. I'm hooked.

I installed an Everlast adjustable. I put 2 extra 24" round wood pieces from Home Depot on top of the one 1" platform so its heavy but adjusts easily. I have one 6"x8" Hawk leather bag and I recently won an Everlast 7"x10" on ebay.

I've been practicing for about a week. My hands are a little tender but I have MMA fight gloves and sparring gloves. I took a photo but I don't yet have permissions below to manage or upload a photo. When I do, that's coming.

I ordered Mr. Kahn's book Speed Bag Bible and Art of the Bag dvd online. So here's my question Does Mr. Kahn put out actual training DVD's?
          Welcome "Mr. Kahn" (has a ring to it, no?? ) Or should I say Master Kahn. Your Martial Arts resume is truly awesome.

The short answer is "YES" there are training video's available with discount to forum members. I'm not sure why the link from from the forum doesn't work, perhaps lost in the many upgrades that are required to keep forum software updated ?? who knows, but you can PM me directly via the forum. (Great, already did.)

Very nice set up by the way, however with that swivel and bag (bottle neck) it might be a bit slower, but fine for a beginner. I won't take you long to get up to speed.

I'm going to get good at this. Maybe by the next biennial Kenpo Gathering of Eagles and Hall of Fame gathering in August 2019 I can put up a demonstration and feature to several hundred hard core martial artists and their students to get them interested.

I hit heavy bags tens of thousands of times in training when I was younger. In fact, I have no sensation in my shins and the tops of my feet from those years of smashing. Our gyms didn't have speed bags for some unknown and silly reason. I know martial artists all over the USA and world and no one I know (we have 3,000 + black belts on our family tree) has ever done a demo or used a speed bag in training. Once I acquire the skills, I may be able to influence a change in that in our system Kenpo Karate
          Now THAT would be something to see . And depending on where this gathering of Eagles is located...you could get a few other Master Baggers to hit and support you (9f demonstrating "on the main floor" than in a both at the exhibitors area.)

I'm honored and pleased to be a part of this forum as I'm very interested and now a remote student of Alan Kahn's techniques. Thank you sir!
          Looking forward to your videos...and training insights. We've already seen how the world of JKD has embraced the uniqueness of the speed bag. I can only imagine how so highly ranked and skillful a Martial Artist will be able to pick apart the nuances of speed bag training and analyze it from the World of Kenpo.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 12-19-2017, 09:55 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• nogibjjgear00
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2020

[spam removed by moderator]
            Last edited by Tim; 05-23-2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...