X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INDYFIGHTER
    • Sep 2006

How long can you go all out?

After practicing awhile last night I started doing a forward roll and counted 100 punches just trying to keep a steady rhythm and not miss. After 100 I sped things up to my max speed and held it for longer than I have been able to before. Not sure exactly how long but I've read on boxing sites that most boxers can't keep up full speed for very long. How long can you guys keep the bag blazing?

Who knew hitting a hanging, leather bag full of air could be so fun?
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I don't know, I guess it depends on the bag. That's one of the reasons I like the larger bags like the 10x12 and 8x11, especially when I'm tired. I can go on and on forever without my shoulders burning on those.

Even trying to go full speed as fast as I can, I don't think I can do it for more than a couple of minutes at the most.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Good question, I may try that this weekend using the timer

If you have a PC or laptop near by, try this:

Set "Count Direction" to UP and Round Length to 120 Min

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

How long can you go.

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
        I don't know, I guess it depends on the bag. That's one of the reasons I like the larger bags like the 10x12 and 8x11, especially when I'm tired. I can go on and on forever without my shoulders burning on those.

Even trying to go full speed as fast as I can, I don't think I can do it for more than a couple of minutes at the most.
        IF you are hitting and linking front, back and sides - You can extend your workout time by throwing in some of the Elbow Strikes and hook punches. Both bring your shoulders into larger movements, and let you lower the elbows and relieve the burn in the shoulders. My shoulders would really burn when I keep the elbows up to pass the fists through to other sides of the bag. After a lot of linking, you can lower your elbows to do some continous alternating Front Double Punch combinations, the Outward - Downward Elbow strike combo's from the front (no linking), and hook punching combinations which will allow you to keep the elbows down and relieve the lactic acid burn in the shoulders.

For a really interesting experience, after your warmed up, Put up an 8x5 bag, go as hard as you can, full out, for three minutes. Immediately change bags to a 11x8 and start over. Or, change the bag order, meaning start with the 11x8, go 3 minutes, quickly change to 8x5 and try again. I have dual boards next to each other (literally, their sides are touching) and can but one size one board, and one size on the other. It's a weird feeling, but it is also amazing how quickly your mind and body will learn to adapt to the speed/movment changes.

Personally, I hit to music a lot, and it's tough cranking full tilt for a 3 minute song.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

I agree Alan, I can go all out much longer by changing techniques. I thought Indyfighter was asking about going top speed using the basic rhythym, that is, R FCP, RSP, LCP, RSP as fast as you can go.

Two or maybe three minutes is the max with a 6x9 bag, going as fast as I can without being sloppy and out of control, and I'm really winded after that. When my shoulders start to burn, I do slow down and start linking, mixing in elbows, double punches, front and reverse rolls, etc.

BTW, I'm still working on my advanced techniques, particularly the six count thing, I forget what you call it. I can only get the double punch followed by the side punch about half the time and I'm using a 10x12 bag to learn this technique. I pay particular attention to hitting with my fists in the right order, RCP, LCP, RSP with one bounce in between each hit. I'm not too good on the abbreviations you use, so forgive me.

When you do it, it looks so easy, but you sure have to be fast to do it. Maybe I'm starting to see the disadvantage of using the swivel that I'm using, which is this one: http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html. If you remember, I use this swivel for my indoors unit and the metal ball & hook swivel for outdoors to keep noise down. I guess I could try it outdoors, but I'm not too keen on exercising outdoors when it's 50 degrees outside.

Any hints on this technique? I can't get past the three count, let alone the six count that you do on the DVD. I know practice makes perfect and I never thought I'd be able to easily work the inner, outer, and downward elbows easily into my routine, but it just clicked one day and everything was a piece of cake and it's been that way ever since.

Maybe I need to watch the DVD again?

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Advnanced Combinations

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            ...BTW, I'm still working on my advanced techniques, particularly the six count thing, I forget what you call it. I can only get the double punch followed by the side punch about half the time and I'm using a 10x12 bag to learn this technique. I pay particular attention to hitting with my fists in the right order, RCP, LCP, RSP with one bounce in between each hit. I'm not too good on the abbreviations you use, so forgive me.

When you do it, it looks so easy, but you sure have to be fast to do it. Maybe I'm starting to see the disadvantage of using the swivel that I'm using, which is this one: http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html. If you remember, I use this swivel for my indoors unit and the metal ball & hook swivel for outdoors to keep noise down. I guess I could try it outdoors, but I'm not too keen on exercising outdoors when it's 50 degrees outside.

Any hints on this technique? I can't get past the three count, let alone the six count that you do on the DVD. I know practice makes perfect and I never thought I'd be able to easily work the inner, outer, and downward elbows easily into my routine, but it just clicked one day and everything was a piece of cake and it's been that way ever since.

Maybe I need to watch the DVD again?
            Hey ChrisM, I created another thread concerning your Advanced Combinations question. I don't want to Highjack IndyFighters posted topic.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              For a really interesting experience, after your warmed up, Put up an 8x5 bag, go as hard as you can, full out, for three minutes. Immediately change bags to a 11x8 and start over. Or, change the bag order, meaning start with the 11x8, go 3 minutes, quickly change to 8x5 and try again. I have dual boards next to each other (literally, their sides are touching) and can but one size one board, and one size on the other. It's a weird feeling, but it is also amazing how quickly your mind and body will learn to adapt to the speed/movment changes.
              I don't have two bags yet, but one thing I'll do sometimes is after a 4/5 rd heavybag workout I'll go straight to the speed bag. Its pretty fun, because it seems like I'm effortlessly going full speed. Also, after I take off my heavybag gloves my hands will be pretty sweaty, so if I don't hit the speed bag just right my hands will slip off. I usually can't go for long because I'm exausted from the heavybag workout, but it's fun to do for a few minutes.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...