X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.breen
    • Jan 2017

Granite drum

I want a good outdoor set up. Does anybody know anything about using granite for the drum. I can get what I need at the re-store for $10. I also have previous experience working with granite, and should have just enough tools to cut and drill. Thanks for any input.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Definitely doable, your supports will have to be capable of handling the weight is all. Ms Deville has a reinforced concrete platform that there is some Youtube video of out there http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...crete+platform

Raul, a speed bag platform innovator and my personal trainer has been at it again. This time he built a concrete speed bag platform. He constructed this plat...

Comment

• m.breen
      • Jan 2017

It would be nice to see how that concrete drum was mounted. My granite is cut and I am just waiting for my diamond drill bits to arrive from amazon.ca.

Comment

• UK mark
        • Nov 2018

Hi , Iam thinking about using granite for the drum too, I googled it and came across your thread on here
        How did you attach it and what's it like to use compared to wooded drum ?
        Thanks

Comment

• m.breen
          • Jan 2017

I drilled holes right through the granite to attach it to the mount. I also drilled holes through to mount the swivel. I got the drill bits from amazon. You have to use water and go slow when drilling. If you think you are going slow enough, you are probably still going too fast. Like 5 minutes per hole. I think I bought drill bits slightly larger than the bolts, since there is no wiggle room with granite. I currently have one granite outside, one inside, and another polished concrete outside. I can't imagine having anything else outside. They are all amazing to hit on.

Comment

• UK mark
            • Nov 2018

Thanks so much for replying , Iam now looking forward to to using granite now of what you have said about it, my wooden drum has become warped due to moisture from the sandbags on top of it to reduce vibration , did u use square block of granite? And would it be possible to attach a pic of yours for inspiration
            Thanks , Mark

Comment

• m.breen
              • Jan 2017

Yeah Mark. I bought a granite table on kijiji and cut in half to get 2 square pieces. I then cut it into a hexagonal shape. I wanted it round but did not have the tools to do that, nor the patience.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...