• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Music Scanner on Youtube??

I'm wondering how the "music police" check video's on youtube. I've been cruising through my vault of "punch drumming" video (hundreds of hours of footage since the early 1990's) Actually, my grandkids are helping me make edit decisions, (uh oh.... ) and I've uploaded a few to YT. Not 1 minute after the upload is marked "successful" do I get a warning:

Your video, (enter name.wmv), may have content that is owned or licensed by Sony Music Entertainment.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information

I'm wondering how this can be decided so fast? With 20 hours of video uploaded every minute that's 1,200 hours of video (and audio) per hour and 28,800 hours per day of video/audio clips - every day. How can they detect each audio file so fast? this has happened on the last four video's I've posted. and how do they know if you do or do not have permission (of who? the performer? the composer? the band?). Anybody else getting hit by this as soon as you upload a clip with music? Plenty of members have baggin clips with music in the background, or punching to it....

If they start killing every video with music they claim complete ownership of, we can almost forget about having members post punch drumming (speed bag to music) clips. That would really suck.

Last edited by Speedbag; 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

ahh ha! they've embedded a music detector in their uploader that scans files automatically as they are uploaded. I guess I answered my own question.

Looks like most of my files are banned in Germany (so far)
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I think you could be right Alan. YouTube have the rights to remove video's with music content.

I have 2 video's, The Beatles which is background music, just like you have. However I have never had a warning about this. The other is Dizzee Rascal. I used video editing software for this one. I received the same warning as you, but because I used itunes for the piece of music, Google put an advert in the lower screen of my video. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, as it has a 'buy this music' advert.
      What I'm saying is, this way we are advertising the music, so viewers can buy.....or not?

Images and video's of ukspeedbag and his kids, Diaz and Joe.

I think there's a difference between uploading a music video and doing a mix like punch drumming. Pity YouTube didn't think the same. What is the world coming too?

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I noticed that as well, not on my own videos, but on others I've seen (uploaded recently).

We can host general files on this web site, of course there is no interface for uploading, so we'd have to do it manually, but if you ever come up with a video that the world must see (and it's got music) let me know and we can FTP it on the site. The down side of course is that it wouldn't get nearly the exposure that it would on youtube... but it might be better than nothing.

Another alternative would be start using one of the lesser known video sharing sites, such as vimeo.com. I don't think they do any music scanning.
        Last edited by Tim; 02-04-2010, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
          Spin Master

• Aug 2008

tell me about it~ i made movies that took days to finish and they removed the sound because of music. now i try and stay away from main stream music. feel free to drum punch to my speed bag scissorhands theme song on my website speedbagscissorhands.com no one is gonna bother you for that! haha. the real answer is stay away from main stream music!

one other thing.... are they picking up music thats being played from your old cd player or cassette player that 20 feet away from the camera?

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Dang!
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

What would be the music equivalent to "Fahrenheit 451" or even "1984"?
              sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Seen any of these "buy on itunes" pop ups lately? Check out Tichy's Wayword Son clip. I'm guessing he didn't add that link, maybe the system did automatically. That's certainly much, much better than muting the audio. Maybe things are taking a turn for the better
                Attached Files

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Seen any of these "buy on itunes" pop ups lately? Check out Tichy's Wayword Son clip. I'm guessing he didn't add that link, maybe the system did automatically. That's certainly much, much better than muting the audio. Maybe things are taking a turn for the better
                  Yeah, I've got one of those on my Bonkers video. My guess, is because I used an iTunes music file when adding music to the video???

Comment

• crapshoot
                    • Apr 2010

I believe that the copyright laws state have a 15 second rule. You can use 15 seconds of A/V with no penalty. Anymore and you have to get © permission. Or, as they have done, have the viewer purchase the material.

But, I am guessing that their filter isn't sophisticated enough to handle it. The only way around it, for the forum, is to host the videos on someones machine acting as a server and link to that.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...