• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Bible - Book or DVD?

Originally posted by Herr Otto View Post
    I have had a speedbag for years but never really learned how to use it correctly. I purchased the Speedbag VHS tape , and it is great, but unless you have a VCR next to your speedbag it is difficult to use.....
    ...and that is exactly why the book was written. You can take the book under the board with you. (Actually, the speed bag bible book was published over a year before the video's were shot..) Having taught many people, and demonstrated techniques and combinations countless times, people could not remember a "simple" four or five technique combination 10 minutes after it was shown to them. Often there is just too many parts. The book and written exercises helps you remember. Imagine watching Gene Krupa play a 30 second drum solo, then go to a set of drums and remember what he did - and then do it. It is much easier with Drum Music.

... My questions are, should I be concentrating and focusing on the bag or my hands?
    Chris said to concentrate on the bag and the sound. That is correct when you are at the bag. I suggest you practice away from the bag, (while watching the video...) make the movements with your hands. If you concentrate on practicing the movements of the hands without the bag, then it will be easier when you get to it and you should not have to worry about your arm / hand motions.

Just dropping the weight of you hands onto the bag will give you 3 or more rebounds. As a beginner, hit very lightly, letting just the momentum of a light, small swing move the bag. Punching with force will make it run away from you.

Don't worry about 3 rebounds when punching from the same side. Use 5 rebounds if necessary. You may also find the FOUR STEP PROGRESSION helpful.

...I believe I made a solid platform from a 1 5/8"soild core exterior door, mounted with unistrut to a concrete foundation wall and to the bottom of 2"x16" floor joist. I am using a new Everlast #4214 bag. The platform does not move at all but the bag seems dead, I have the correct air pressure in it. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Several suggestions: Try another bag. The Everlast 4214 is a narrow 7x10 bag. I have had several and never liked the "dead" rebound. ( I had the Red model and the Brown models...) I also have: The pro-model and it is a much better bag.

Try several different bags on the board to see if it is the board or the bag. If Every bag you try seems "dead", then it is your board. If the other bags jump off the board, then that bag is dead. Or you might try slighlty overfilling it to make it a bit harder and faster. But if you are a beginner, That can be a shock to your hands, and cause control problems.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...