Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Problems with plastic ball hook?

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
    Hi Guy's!

How we all livin?

.... if you are a beginner you may want to start perfecting your punching and striking methods on a swivel that is a litle less sensitive; the Everlast chain link is one that comes to mind...
    That is an interesting observation. I have been receiving emails lately about the plastic ball hook and how people think it "floats" up in the housing, causing control problems. Personally I had noticed something like this on my own, and crossed it off to several bad days of not hitting real well. (You know, we all have them). I changed bags and sizes, and still noticed It just feels a bit different than a metal ballhook. I missed a lot more while hitting to music, (and don't think that doesn't get irritating). I was getting a lot of helicopter restarts. (Bag wildly circling around the center) and it went on for days. I always blame me first, but this lasted a little longer than normal. Shortly after I tried the "Boxing Gear" metal ballhook and immediately noticed a control difference, so decided to let the plastic ballhook stay down.
    A few folks have told me they think the plastic ball is too light and won't hold in place. I don't know if that is it or not, But it does seem to demand a more spot-on contact to maintain control with it, at least for me.

If you notice lately, I almost always recommend and link to the Boxing Gear Metal Ballhook as my first recomended choice over the plastic version. I liked the metal chainlink swivel of old but the latest versions do not impress me much. And over time they just mess with rebounding from all directions. But for more straight on punching, they are a very good choice.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

That is an interesting observation. I have been receiving emails lately about the plastic ball hook and how people think it "floats" up in the housing, causing control problems. Personally I had noticed something like this on my own, and crossed it off to several bad days of not hitting real well. (You know, we all have them). I changed bags and sizes, and still noticed It just feels a bit different than a metal ballhook. I missed a lot more while hitting to music, (and don't think that doesn't get irritating). I was getting a lot of helicopter restarts. (Bag wildly circling around the center) and it went on for days. I always blame me first, but this lasted a little longer than normal. Shortly after I tried the "Boxing Gear" metal ballhook and immediately noticed a control difference, so decided to let the plastic ballhook stay down.
    A few folks have told me they think the plastic ball is too light and won't hold in place. I don't know if that is it or not, But it does seem to demand a more spot-on contact to maintain control with it, at least for me.

If you notice lately, I almost always recommend and link to the Boxing Gear Metal Ballhook as my first recomended choice over the plastic version. I liked the metal chainlink swivel of old but the latest versions do not impress me much. And over time they just mess with rebounding from all directions. But for more straight on punching, they are a very good choice.
    I watched a person fist roll and they told me they couldn’t control the swivel that after 30 seconds the bag goes all over the place. A ubolt. So I look again and I realize for the first 30 she smokes it not a miss hit one, super fast, end then the swivel gets all wonky. No you’re all wonky and not hitting correctly arms burning, the first 30 perfect and then human failure. I think that’s why. The Everlast plastic ball hook was a complete failure and another example of the way of the disposable world we live in. Ban the petroleum man!, I do use a plastic ball is most of my builds now. And Arc can or has told you what material it is made out of. Thank you
    The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...