X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goju
    • Aug 2009

Introduction & information

First of all i would like to say a big hello to everyone at SB forums. Not sure if this post is related to this topic but here goes......
    My name is Lee and im from the isle of wight ( Uk ), studied goju-ryu karate for 18 years till i developed osteoarthritis in my right hip 5 years ago. So after years of sitting on my ass and drinking to much beer i decided to do something about it lol. With that being said, i decided to hit the gym. while at the gym i started to have a bash at some boxing, then i had a go at some baggin and damn ive been hooked ever since. Just over a month has past since ive been hitting the bag and doing weights, ive developed a ventral hernia... so now that the introduction is out of the way, my big question is.. would any of you pro baggers recomend me keep baggin ? I only ask as my Doc suggest i didnt strain at all. Though he said that it would be still good for me to run / jog / swim etc.

Many thanks for any info regarding this matter.

Lee ( Goju )
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Welcome to the forums.

If you can run/jog/swim, I can't imagine speed bag (if done at a moderate pace at least) being harmful. I'd say go easy and see how it feels, and don't overdo it.

NOTE: I am not a doctor

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Welcome to the forum goju! I'm no doctor either so advising you would be hard . However I have been known to be a hard headed lunkhead when my doctor advised me not to do certain activities, so I would go in moderation until it hurt and then gradually work through the pain....................THANK GOD I NEVER INJURED MYSELF FURTHER!!! Like Tim said, if jogging is ok by your doc then, baggin if done moderately should be also. If you start to feel any pain STOP! Take care and build slowly. I've actually had lessons in Goju Ryu as well as Uechi Ryu. Due to lack of funds and too much going on at once I had to stop. Great art, I do miss it.
      sigpic

Comment

• goju
        • Aug 2009

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.. well im still very new to baggin so i guess each time is very moderate at the minute.. the set up i have isn't all that either to be honest. Its one of those platforms that comes with a multigym lol.. and a plastic everlast ball that seems to be slightly egg shaped on one side, so keeping a good ryhthm going is a challenge.. still waiting on new leather 5x8 rival ball to turn up, hopfully that will make life easier. And i do miss goju-ryu too metaldad.

Thanks again fellas.

Comment

• Jordan
          • Jun 2009

I know how you feel there bud...I've had my fair share of warped bags, that rival is a good bag tho...if I'm not mistaken spinmashpop has one and it hits really well.

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by goju View Post
            First of all i would like to say a big hello to everyone at SB forums. Not sure if this post is related to this topic but here goes......
            My name is Lee and im from the isle of wight ( Uk ), studied goju-ryu karate for 18 years till i developed osteoarthritis in my right hip 5 years ago. So after years of sitting on my ass and drinking to much beer i decided to do something about it lol. With that being said, i decided to hit the gym. while at the gym i started to have a bash at some boxing, then i had a go at some baggin and damn ive been hooked ever since. Just over a month has past since ive been hitting the bag and doing weights, ive developed a ventral hernia... so now that the introduction is out of the way, my big question is.. would any of you pro baggers recomend me keep baggin ? I only ask as my Doc suggest i didnt strain at all. Though he said that it would be still good for me to run / jog / swim etc.

Many thanks for any info regarding this matter.

Lee ( Goju )
            i would say listen to your body. if it starts to hurt stop. i learned over the past year or so lifting weights that u need to learn to listen to your body or else u cud tear something and make whatever the strain is a permanent tear!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.. well im still very new to baggin so i guess each time is very moderate at the minute.. the set up i have isn't all that either to be honest. Its one of those platforms that comes with a multigym lol.. and a plastic everlast ball that seems to be slightly egg shaped on one side, so keeping a good ryhthm going is a challenge.. still waiting on new leather 5x8 rival ball to turn up, hopfully that will make life easier. And i do miss goju-ryu too metaldad.

Thanks again fellas.
            i have the rival 9x6 and 6x5 and am very happy with both... still want to get the 8x5 rival but thats on the back burner for now. ull find that the rivals are a heavier bag compared to others
            ________
            CrystalClear cam
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• goju
              • Aug 2009

Thanks for the reply Kyle, very much appreciated.. seems i have to wait another 8 days for my rival bag, as my Uk supplier had to order it from canada.

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

Thanks for the reply Kyle, very much appreciated.. seems i have to wait another 8 days for my rival bag, as my Uk supplier had to order it from canada.
                no problem. u will really enjoy the bag. its very well made and the leather is amazing...i think the leather is thicker than most bags thats what makes it heavier. let us know what u think about the bag when u get it.
                ________
                Volcano vaporizer review
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• goju
                  • Aug 2009

i sure will let you know mate, hopfuly by the time the ball comes i will have had my platform made too.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    i

i have the rival 9x6 and 6x5 and am very happy with both... still want to get the 8x5 rival but thats on the back burner for now. ull find that the rivals are a heavier bag compared to others
                    I'm gonna have to try one of those bags eventually.

i sure will let you know mate, hopfuly by the time the ball comes i will have had my platform made too.
                    Make sure to post some pics or video when you get it done!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      I'm gonna have to try one of those bags eventually.
                      i think there pretty expensive for americans because of the shipping and duty but tim has one maybe ull get to use it at speedbag 2010
                      ________
                      Milena4male
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• goju
                        • Aug 2009

well i payed £35, so that must be round about $40 for you guys.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...