X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reggabdeeps
    • Jun 2011

Slip bag

how many have used one? did you use and old speed bag?

am getting a little tired of taking blows to the head while sparring and someone suggested to hang a 5lbs dumbbell but i would probably feel like a dumbbell for listening if i took a hit to the face.

i have a fairly new NOS ringside 7x4 i am reluctant to use for this but a new one from title with a chain is about 20 bucks, it just may run me that much just to try and make one myself because id have to find an older bag off craigslist.
  • 08speed3
    • Dec 2010

I use the slipbag often. I used a old blown POS everlast speedbag. lol!I put small rocks inside. I wouldnt use the NOS Ringside bag. Especially if its in usable condition. Ive seen people use ziplock bag filled with sand & put it in a old sox, tie it up & attach a rope to it. The last thing u gotta do is attach it to the ceiling, using a nail or an eye screw. hope this helps.

Comment

• 2fast2block
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2012

Years ago I wished there was "something" that punched at me so I could hone my reaction times. I was well aware of the slip ball but I knew I wanted something faster, so I played a lot with the double end bag and gave it a lot of play in the bungee cords. It was "OK". Long story short, I invented my own punch arms that punch at real human speeds.

Along the way I made a good friend who boxed and then became a boxing trainer. He is a big believer in the slip ball. He's also now a big believer in my punch arms. Problem is, he still tries to slip the punch arms that have NO tel'. He's yet to do it except when he gets lucky moving just before the arm punches. I keep telling him that the only way a slip is practical is when someone gives a tel', which is often, but if they give no tel', the head can't move fast enough with a good punch coming.

So my point is, a slip ball can give false confidence. Your fastest way to stop a punch is by blocking it, and blocking it with your hand or arm very close to your body, not extended out. But, if the person gives you time by giving a tel', then a slip is possible.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
        • Jan 2012

You can see 2Fast2Block's really cool punching machines on his YouTube channel. (www.YouTube.com/2Fast2Block).
        His "Street Fight Punch Speeds" video makes a great point. Give it a chance - there's a great message after the violence.
        He demonstrates his punching machine in a few others too.

Comment

• David222
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2012

i have a fairly new NOS ringside 7x4 i am reluctant to use for this but a new one from title with a chain is about 20 bucks, it just may run me that much just to try and make one myself because id have to find an older bag off craigslist.
          So I am in favor to make your own, to save further money. A simple idea is to use any old cloth bag of suitable size. The method is to fill up cloth bag with sand and tie up its open end. Now hang this bag with a strong rope at a suitable height. Hopefully it will work ...

Cary Fitness
          Last edited by David222; 10-13-2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...