• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Super Advanced 5 way hit

BillyMack posted a question on this hit a while back, but I was just practicing it and I can do it most of the time now, about 95% of the time I do it successfully and I can go right into another combination after doing it.

This is the one where you do a FDP leading with the right fist, followed by a R SSP, and then a RDP leading with the left fist.

For those that can do this, how long did it take you to do it where the bag would come back straight at you after doing the RDP?

Sorry for not remembering the correct speed bag shorthand for this combination.

Also, I know Alan says the rear fistroll is done with your hands beside each other, but I find that my bag kind of does an inverted "V" rebound whenever I do the rear fist roll. Is this right? I have a feeling it is, but I also would like to see the rearward rebound be more in line with the front rebound.

I know, I know, I need to post video but I just don't feel like it right now. Besides, I don't think I could do them very well now, I pretty much burned up my shoulders working on the above combinations.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

This was the original thread?

I'm still working on this combo and haven't made much progress. Hopefully others have fared better

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      This was the original thread?

I'm still working on this combo and haven't made much progress. Hopefully others have fared better
      Yes, that's the one.

In all honesty, I am doing it on a larger bag, a 7x10. I find it easier to learn a new combo on a larger bag and when I can do it proficiently on the 8x11 or 7x10, I'll move to the next size smaller and so on.

When I do mess it up, and what I had the hardest time learning was getting the right SSP after the FDP. You have to be pretty quick to catch the bag. The RDP came fairly easily after I had mastered the SSP in the middle of the combo.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
        BillyMack posted a question on this hit a while back, but I was just practicing it and I can do it most of the time now, about 95% of the time I do it successfully and I can go right into another combination after doing it.

This is the one where you do a FDP leading with the right fist, followed by a R SSP, and then a RDP leading with the left fist.

For those that can do this, how long did it take you to do it where the bag would come back straight at you after doing the RDP?
        The Combo in question is:

R-L.....R.....L-R
        FDP ' SSP ' RDP....' ' - repeat other side.

The key to your answer is the last (5th) punch of the combination, which is the right fist: R. This fist comes around from the side, and the tendency is to clip more of the side panel of the bag if you don't get it all the way behind - which is difficult with the raised elbow position coming from the side. I find when I emphasize that fist to make it all the way behind, the bag will hit close to the wrist, and the fist angle may set the bag off to rebound on the left-center of the board rather than directly over your head. That won't matter much if that same right fist passes through to the front to lead another FCP or FDP. That rebound angle is fine.
        The biggest problem with this rebound angle would be if you want to continue to the 6th punch on the other Side (Left-SSP). That left-front rebound will create a bad angle for a Left-SSP. (* here's an advanced cheat tip: After the 3rd hit (Right-SSP) Drop the right elbow and try to make contact with the forearm straight down, (like a downward elbow strike). You'll make better contact that way. As the fist hits the SSP, It is moving to the center of the board. as it hits, let your arm move in also and drop the elbow to the side of your body. It's not a long move. Then extend the fist behind with the elbow down and it will be directly behind in correct position to do a reverse punch. This cheat move helps make the angle easier.)

..Also, I know Alan says the rear fistroll is done with your hands beside each other, but I find that my bag kind of does an inverted "V" rebound whenever I do the rear fist roll. Is this right? I have a feeling it is, but I also would like to see the rearward rebound be more in line with the front rebound..
        Same for me, since the fists really don't hit "directly behind" the bag, but rather at the side-reverse border. That makes the rebound angle vary just a bit. I also believe that is makes it the single hardest technique of the twenty four I show in the SBB system.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

SSP after one rebound

Yes, that's the one.

In all honesty, I am doing it on a larger bag, a 7x10. I find it easier to learn a new combo on a larger bag and when I can do it proficiently on the 8x11 or 7x10, I'll move to the next size smaller and so on.

When I do mess it up, and what I had the hardest time learning was getting the right SSP after the FDP. You have to be pretty quick to catch the bag. The RDP came fairly easily after I had mastered the SSP in the middle of the combo.
          I bet you'll find it easier to do a SSP after one rebound from a Front Fist Roll (F-Roll). It's really a wrist move. Keep the same speed in the first rolling motion, then let the right (or left) fist clip the bag from the side after one rebound. Don't move your arm. It IS really a wrist move (-or drag the arm slightly inward across the body).
          Here is another tip: Do the FDP in a FCP ' FSP position. the second fist FSP will require an angle that makes the lead FCP hit the bag angling toward the side anyway. Think about an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike O-TES, with a FSP position at the end. the setup, body angle etc. sets up the lead fist to be moving toward the side of the bag after it hits. Try not to move the fist to far out to the side. It is mainly a wrist move.

Hope that helps.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I bet you'll find it easier to do a SSP after one rebound from a Front Fist Roll (F-Roll). It's really a wrist move. Keep the same speed in the first rolling motion, then let the right (or left) fist clip the bag from the side after one rebound. Don't move your arm. It IS really a wrist move (-or drag the arm slightly inward across the body).
            Here is another tip: Do the FDP in a FCP ' FSP position. the second fist FSP will require an angle that makes the lead FCP hit the bag angling toward the side anyway. Think about an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike O-TES, with a FSP position at the end. the setup, body angle etc. sets up the lead fist to be moving toward the side of the bag after it hits. Try not to move the fist to far out to the side. It is mainly a wrist move.

Hope that helps.
            Yes, I imagine that will help a lot. I was kind of caught up in trying to hit everything cleanly and doing the hits like I do them by themselves when not in a combo.

I'll definitely give that a try, unfortunately it's going to have to wait until next weekend because I'm back on the road tomorrow.

Anyone know of any boxing gyms in Greeley, Colorado?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...