Anyone have more history on the Narragansett platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

IMHO they are the Cadillac of platforms. Yes someone should have stepped up and bought the patterns and plans for those. They weren't inexpensive. Towards the end of production the list price was approaching four figures as I recall (need to dig out my catalogs to double check that)

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Wow. I keep wondering of what became of the one that used to be in my alma mater's gym. The thought of it being thrown out as old junk horrifies me. Wouldn't that be nice if its sitting in the back of some storage room just waiting for someone to discover this hidden treasure!
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        The Chevrolet of speed bag platforms.
        And I was told you guys don't do sarcasm. lol

-Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          And I was told you guys don't do sarcasm. lol

-Rusty
          "Like a rock" was a Chevrolet slogan, and the Narragansett is solid as a rock.

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

The Chevrolet of speed bag platforms.
            "Like a rock" was a Chevrolet slogan, and the Narragansett is solid as a rock.
            You are just messing with me now. That is the driest double-sarcasm reply ever! Kudos, sir.

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
              Wow. I keep wondering of what became of the one that used to be in my alma mater's gym. The thought of it being thrown out as old junk horrifies me. Wouldn't that be nice if its sitting in the back of some storage room just waiting for someone to discover this hidden treasure!
              This is tragic and sad. I made some inquiries and got word from the university that their beautiful Narragansett speed bag platform was dismantled and junked as part of a renovation of the gym.

SACRILEGE!!!

They told me "...we have more current speed and heavy bags..."

Oh, to make things worse, they had a big heavy tan leather heavy bag. Marciano style. Both pieces of equipment probably dated back to the 30's or 40's and they just threw them away.

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Unfortunate , but all too common I'm afraid. I knew where there was a Spalding platform like what Zaza has (the gym of the old San Diego PD headquarters) and could have gotten it for free as the company I worked for had the lease on it , but before I could get my tools out, the EPA came in and sealed off the building. Asbestos signs everywhere. Never did find out what exactly happened to it. The building was "cleaned" and remodeled into a complex of restaurants.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 10-25-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Oh Man..... this kills me to hear. It's sad when people don't know/don't care what they have.

RIP & thanks for your years of service Narragansett speed bag platform....you will be missed!
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Most days at the university gym, I thought I was the only guy who went to hit the bags in a decade. It was like working out in a museum preserved from days long gone. I remember hitting the heavy bag was like punching a granite column holding up the temple at Karnak. I was used to my 70lb canvas Everlast bag at home at the time.

That heavy bag was big and tight tanned leather, and also a great loss if trashed.

-Rusty
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...