• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Shoulder arthritis and bagging

I was just diagnosed with shoulder arthritis (aka GH or Glenohumeral arthritis or osteoarthritis of the shoulder) in both shoulders. I'm ok with boxing style bagging, but elbows up bible style and heavy bag hooks are very painful. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for ways to do some of these activities and minimize the pain, or help keep the arthritis from getting worse over time?

I just got a steroid injection into one shoulder and will get one in the other shoulder in a couple of weeks. So, for now I have to cool it on the speed bag. I'll be going to physical therapy soon and I'm sure will be given lots of stretching and rubber band exercises to do.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • REB
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2017

Sorry to hear that kind of news Rusty. Have yet to experience osteo or rheumatoid arthritis yet.. I hear that rheumatoid can be treated with medication. Osteo I don't know other than the steroids.

Anyway, I have been using bands for 20 years or so to keep shoulder impingement issues under control. So give the bands a good go. Rest, heat and ice tx.. Hope you get a good therapist. The boxing style also has improved my left shoulder tremendously. The other styles hamper it badly. Get your therapist opinion on baggin' too
    Last edited by REB; 07-27-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Thanks, REB.

I'm gonna do the shoulder rehab thing, stretching, bands, ice, NSAIDS, etc...

I punch to my limits, as they are today. I would like to expand those limits, you know?

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2016

Sorry to hear about your shoulders. Hopefully your doctor clears you to keep hitting the bag. It sucks that you found a new hobby but health issues may hamper it. Wishing you good luck bro.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          I was just diagnosed with shoulder arthritis (aka GH or Glenohumeral arthritis or osteoarthritis of the shoulder) in both shoulders. I'm ok with boxing style bagging, but elbows up bible style and heavy bag hooks are very painful. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for ways to do some of these activities and minimize the pain, or help keep the arthritis from getting worse over time?

I just got a steroid injection into one shoulder and will get one in the other shoulder in a couple of weeks. So, for now I have to cool it on the speed bag. I'll be going to physical therapy soon and I'm sure will be given lots of stretching and rubber band exercises to do.

-Rusty
          Bible style punching sort of requires the elbows to be held a bit higher the allow linking the fist "through" the bag to the other side ....but you can lower your elbows if it causes pain. You can also lower the board height (or stand on a platform) to put the belly of the bag at your throat (8x5 bag) or chest (7x10 bag), and hit it there. Obviously with the board just above your hair you may not want to do downward elbow strikes but you should be able to do some fist linking OK.

At least you will be able to do the four front punches [Front Circle Punch (FCP), Front Straight Punch (FSP), Front Double Punch (FDP) and Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll)], ...all with the elbows down lower. This will reduce the impingement of the tendons on the acromion and give more room for your movements. With the lowered bag you may also be able to do the outward elbow techniques. Hope this helps.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Speedbag; 07-27-2017, 11:26 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...