Swivel DEVILLE Makes Its Debut at BI Boxing Club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Swivel DEVILLE Makes Its Debut at BI Boxing Club!

Well, I'm getting closer to working out of the Bainbridge Island Boxing Club gym. Earlier this week, Trainer Raul and I installed several speed bag platforms – both horizontal and vertical setups. Ben Little, the owner of BI Boxing Club can now say that he is the ONLY gym with SPEED BAGS!!!!

I forgot to bring my video camera on the day that Raul installed the 3-swivel platform, but managed to get a few photographs of the construction of it. I couldn't believe how fast he put it up. With the help of Jordan, one of the gym's boxing trainers, it took just over an hour to put up the 8' long redwood plank, featuring Deville swivels, of course!

There are 4 vertical setups as well. We put our old U-bolt on one and the old chain link swivel on another. I asked Ben if he wanted the u-bolt and chain link on the horizontal platform. He said no – he feels that it's better to learn on the s-hook. Ben's background is Muay Thai, but the rest of his family's background is actually in boxing.

Raul has one more platform to install at the gym. He's going to try to build it this weekend. This one will be made of concrete and will be for the taller gym members. The owner, Ben Little stands nearly 6'6" tall, so this will probably be his personal setup.

So, here is a video of the gym and of the installation of the platforms:

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

That Board is AWESOME! That Smooth Glossy Finish. A real Professional Job Done Very Well. Raul out did himself there.

I really like the part where Raul is doing those elbow Combos. 2:57 to 3:07. Those are quite difficult to do.

Top Notch Job

Comment

• Johnny O
      • Apr 2011

Great Work!

Very nice MsDeville! Dee, you are a speed bag ambassador.

Comment

• pip
        • Apr 2010

looks fantastic best of luck on your new adventure i am really envious a job of my dreams

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

AWESOME! what a great idea and set up.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
            Very nice MsDeville! Dee, you are a speed bag ambassador.
            Ambassador! Hey, I never thought about that!

You know, I'm preaching "speed bag" wherever I go, whether I'm at a party, the salon, or my local espresso stand. If there's a way to work it in to a conversation, I will!

I Am An Addict.

And, I refuse to do the 12-Step!

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
            That Board is AWESOME! That Smooth Glossy Finish. A real Professional Job Done Very Well. Raul out did himself there.

I really like the part where Raul is doing those elbow Combos. 2:57 to 3:07. Those are quite difficult to do.

Top Notch Job
            Thanks, ebo. I'll pass this on to Raul. Yes, that elbow combo is tricky... hard to keep going. Well, for me, anyway, that's for sure!

He really lucked out on the huge chunk of redwood. He has a connection with a local sawmill. We have another plank of the wood, along with a 28"x30"(?) 3"-thick slab of wood that I am hoping will stay here... I've always wanted a butcher-block style platform.

Originally posted by pip View Post
            looks fantastic best of luck on your new adventure i am really envious a job of my dreams
            Thanks, pip. Speed bagging is a niche sport/hobby. And to actually make money teaching might be kinda tricky. But, hey, I'm going to give it a try.

Hey, Alan, you might start to see some orders coming from Bainbridge Island, for the Speed Bag Bible. I'll also make available to the gym members their choice of ball-hook swivels — keep that lathe a-crankin', jumpcannon! I'll also make sure members have contact information for RP65 (Ralph) for Cleto Reyes and NOS bags, etc.

This is gonna be FUN!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              AWESOME! what a great idea and set up.

I'm very lucky to have such a savvy partner in my world of speed bag addiction. Raul is one of those people who loves to create and improvise. I was amazed with this platform design for the gym. The goal was to install it in such a way that it wouldn't bother the tenants who actually live directly ABOVE this gym. We wanted to eliminate any chance of vibration AND noise traveling up the walls of the gym and into the apartments above. This involved building the platform without using any load-bearing walls. Raul used an interior wall for this.

He came up with a cantilever design. Those 4'x4' horizontal posts are actually 8 feet long and he cut holes through the wall and the extra 5 feet is canted on the other side. He placed a 2x6 ledger that supports the 4x4 posts coming through the wall on the back side of it. He also attached a 2x6 rim joist across the ends of the 8'-long 4x4's. He placed 2 4'x4' posts on the 2 corners for added support. He tacked down a 4'x8' sheet of plywood on top of them, creating a shelf.

Then he bought 7 boxes of joint compound from Home Depot (only $7.45 for a 45-pound box) and evenly distributed them on this shelf that is hidden from view. His reason for using compound rather than sand, or other forms of weight, is this: This stuff is in a heavy plastic bag and is a thick ,mud-like consistency. His theory is that the vibration from punching will be absorbed into this thick, gluey material and dispersed, rather than causing more rattling (like solid weights would cause). These are easier to deal with, because they're boxes, and not bags of sand, or dog food, etc. I have heard that you have to make sure the bags of sand are enclosed in a heavy-duty garbage bag and then taped up to keep the sand from sifting out.

As long as you don't poke the box with a sharp object, this method should work for most people. I have 3 boxes of this stuff on top of my 36" steel platform. The only time I noticed vibration was when it was 17° outside and the boxes of mud actually FROZE!
              Attached Files

Comment

• speedbag4life
                • Jun 2007

Hey Dee, every time I log onto the forum you're up to something new! Usually it's a new combination or new style of hitting, but this takes the cake. That's a beautiful platform! And a great new job/hobby at BI gym! And, the "DEVILLE?!" Where have I been? I need to log on more often. I'll be in touch about this!! Congratulations on a great new turn of events!

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                  • Jan 2012

Wow! What a nice place to play! Beautiful! Handsome setups!
                  Great production Dee.

I drove from So. Cal to Bainbridge Island in the early 80's to visit the twin sister of my then girlfriend. A gorgeous place. Fun trip. I remember ferries, and seeing double.

Best of luck with your new endeavor! Lucky duck.

Comment

• juxt
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

wow. great video, very positive. beautiful setup. BI boxing is the place to be. great ideas and craftsmanship from you and Raul -props to little Ben for being open to the unique art of speedbagging

Comment

• G-Town
                      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

To the Queen!

MsDee - You are truely the "Queen" of speedbagging. We already have a "King" in our sport. It is only fitting to have a queen representing 'which is you' the art and craft of speedbagging. You got my vote! Nice work.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                        Hey Dee, every time I log onto the forum you're up to something new! Usually it's a new combination or new style of hitting, but this takes the cake. That's a beautiful platform! And a great new job/hobby at BI gym! And, the "DEVILLE?!" Where have I been? I need to log on more often. I'll be in touch about this!! Congratulations on a great new turn of events!
                        Hey there, Lisa! Yes, I'm definitely taking a sharp left turn in life. I have a great "promoter" in my corner. I hope you've been able to speed bag during your schooling. Great to hear from you. I hope we'll be able to meet up again this year in Keyport, NJ.

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                        very cool ;-) i'm happy for you guys, dee and raul. that could'nt happen to two more nicer people, i gonna send you guys something u can hang from your rear view mirror maybe u might already have them but maybe not...ralph
                        Thanks so much, Ralph. ... hmmm. something I can hang from my rear view mirror? It's not a big set of fuzzy dice is it?

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
                        Wow! What a nice place to play! Beautiful! Handsome setups!
                        Great production Dee.

I drove from So. Cal to Bainbridge Island in the early 80's to visit the twin sister of my then girlfriend. A gorgeous place. Fun trip. I remember ferries, and seeing double.

Best of luck with your new endeavor! Lucky duck.
                        It is a nice, new, clean gym, and Ben, the owner seems to care about hygiene and keeping it sanitary. It's on a street that gets a fair amount of pedestrian traffic. The high school and library are just up the street, and main street is 3 blocks down. There are windows across the whole length of the gym, so it makes it appealing to people who might be curious. I think the speed bags will definitely draw interest.

How cool that you were up this way back in the 80s. Bainbridge is a beautiful island, and some of the waterfront homes are spectacular – especially with the ferries gliding through Rich Passage! I should know, my old job at the newspaper was handling the real estate ads. I would drool over some of the Point White waterfront estates...

So, I guess you and I were on the island in the early 80s. I worked on BI between 1980-84. It's a nice island, with a diverse group of people living here. Lots of artists, actors, boomers, bankers, bohemians, and beatniks! In general, they're into co-op gardens, farmers markets, and yoga and alternative fitness programs. Ben's boxing gym is just one of almost a dozen fitness/exercise clubs on the island.

Originally posted by juxt View Post
                        wow. great video, very positive. beautiful setup. BI boxing is the place to be. great ideas and craftsmanship from you and Raul -props to little Ben for being open to the unique art of speedbagging
                        Thanks, Juxt. Yes, It's a very positive, upbeat place. Ben and his assistant, Jordan are great to work with. I think it's going to be a blast...

Originally posted by G-Town View Post
                        MsDee - You are truely the "Queen" of speedbagging. We already have a "King" in our sport. It is only fitting to have a queen representing 'which is you' the art and craft of speedbagging. You got my vote! Nice work.
                        Ahhhh Louis. A Queen, eh? Yes, Raul has some choice words about me and my queen-like attitude at times. But, that's another topic! Thanks for the kudos.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...