• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Mayweather vs. De La Hoya

So who's it going to be? I'm hoping for De La Hoya. We'll know in an hour!
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

thats who im cheering for to
    ________
    house wives Webcam
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

nope. Oscar lost the decision. Beat him on the number of Punches, but lost on accuracy. I hate to say it, but it was kind of a boring fight. Mayweathers style isn't too interesting to watch, and the punch count was really low for a fight in this weight division. Probably be a rematch.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I did watch it on PPV and I agree, it was kind of a boring fight. De La Hoya would throw some good flurries at the end of the rounds, but it wasn't enough.

Did you notice how Mayweather seemed to cower every time punches were thrown his way, especially in the beginning?

I was surprised that the decision wasn't unanimous though.

I too am hoping for a rematch, but Mayweather says he's retiring and De La Hoya says he's going to wait and see if this is his last fight. I don't believe it for a second that Mayweather is done for good though. As much as I'd like to see De La Hoya kick Mayweather's a$$, I'm not really sure it's going to happen.
        Last edited by Chris M; 05-06-2007, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

I don't like Mayweather's running away style or tactic.... with the cowering as well - it made him look scared and weak... sad really.... De La Hoya looked like a raging bull - aggressive - I hoped it had gone Oscar's way....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I agree with the announcer after the fight, a Mayweather retirement is ludicrous. He thrives on the "prime time" attention - not to mention the money. Remember how many boxers retire, than "come out of retirement" because of someone else trash talking them, or they miss they hype, lifestyle and the money. Ray Leonard, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Julio Ceasar Chavez, Roberto "no mas" Duran, yada yada. Now it will be Mayweather, just so he can hear the crowd clamour to have him stay, - and watch the money roll in.

Oddly enough, Floyd is from Grand Rapids, Michigan. That is where I went to jr high and high school. I met him there once, long ago. Look to the picture of Buster Mathis (several down the page). This picture was taken in "pride gym" on division street, GR, Mich. in the summer of 1995. Buster Sr. was there watching his son (Buster Jr.) train for the upcoming Tyson Fight, which was held in December of that year. Buster Jr. was sparring with floyd for a large part of my visit.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 05-06-2007, 10:40 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
              I don't like Mayweather's running away style or tactic.... with the cowering as well - it made him look scared and weak... sad really.... De La Hoya looked like a raging bull - aggressive - I hoped it had gone Oscar's way....
              To be honest, I haven't followed Mayweather at all, but just his cockiness and arrogance during the pre-fight really turned me off to him. I really wanted to see him lose. And what was with the huge sombrero? I know he was probably trying to psyche out De La Hoya, but it came off really bad. What if De La Hoya had come out wearing something that stereotyped Blacks?

In any case, it was obvious from the beginning that Mayweather and his trainers knew that the only way to possibly beat Oscar was to fight from the outside. If Mayweather had fought Oscar on Oscar's terms, as in an inside brawl, it wouldn't have been pretty for Mayweather at all. In that sense, his camp was smart to fight on their own terms and to try to outlast him.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                .... And what was with the huge sombrero? I know he was probably trying to psyche out De La Hoya, but it came off really bad. What if De La Hoya had come out wearing something that stereotyped Blacks?
                In all likelyhood, Oscar never saw the sombrero, unless he was watching FM's entrance into the Ring, which most fighters don't. Particularly one as experienced as Oscar. Since FM was the challenger, he came in first, and Oscar hadn't come in yet. In any case, I doubt that he cared what costume FM wore. It's all part of the Vegas theatre anyway.

But I highly recommend seeing a big time fight in Vegas, as least once. I happened to be there to see George Foreman fight Alex Stewart in 1992. It was a great experience.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2007

a lot of people seemed to have missed the gimick with the sombrero -
                  Floyd was know in his youth by defeating quite a few of the up and coming Mexican fighters - so much that he was called the Mexican killer - so he started parading in a somber Mexican outfit.

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Floyd was know in his youth by defeating quite a few of the up and coming Mexican fighters - so much that he was called the Mexican killer - so he started parading in a somber Mexican outfit.
                    I didn't know that, but it make sense, thanks for filling me in on it.

It did seem very disrespectful to me, especially since he and his team were wearing the colors of the Mexican flag . Maybe I'm a little sensitive about respect of the flags that represent the US and other countries. To me a flag is sacred and not something to be trifled with because they represent national pride. You just don't go there.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                      I didn't know that, but it make sense, thanks for filling me in on it.

It did seem very disrespectful to me, especially since he and his team were wearing the colors of the Mexican flag . Maybe I'm a little sensitive about respect of the flags that represent the US and other countries. To me a flag is sacred and not something to be trifled with because they represent national pride. You just don't go there.
                      Actually, in reviewing the tape of the broadcast, the annoucers were talking about that while FM was getting ready to come into the ring. They said his uncle use to do it all the time also (where the other guys "colors".) they also said his sombrero was on backwards.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2007

oh cool they mentioned it..... I had a hard time hearing the announcer at all... I was in a bar, and I think all the '50 Cent' crowd was there, rooting of course for Floyd. They didn't know s... about boxing, or Oscar, and were sitting there talking trash.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                          • May 2007

Floyd's silly sombrero

Actually, Mr. Jaguiler, Floyd has never been known for beating Mexican fighters, in fact many experts believe he was beaten by Castillo in 2002 and I agree wholeheartedly. Roger "The Black Mamba" Mayweather, His uncle and trainer, was actually calling himself the "Mexican Killer" until he met up with my idol, the great JC Chavez. If you've never seen this K.O. I highly reccomend you find and watch it. Chavez actually crouches down and leaps literally halfway accross the ring and catches the "Mexican Killer" with a beauty of a hook that sent him sliding on his back unconscious. Chavez, being the bigger person, never went around calling himself the "Black Guy Killer." I'm joking, of course.

Comment

• jaguiler
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2007

thanks for the correction .....

I think you were holding a DeLaHoya shirt in one of your videos.... before you started hitting the DE bag... what did you think fo the fight ?

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                              • May 2007

fight review

Well, to be completely honest I was impressed by Oscar's ring generalship but dissapointed in the fight. If anything this fight knocked the pretty boy down a peg or two, who for all his threats and trash talking had to cower and settle for single shots rather than try to mix it up with Delahoya. I know Floyd outpointed Oscar, but he didn't take the fight to him like a challenger for a belt should do. I wasn't thrilled with Oscar's performance either. Once again the Golden Boy faded in the championship rounds and abandoned his best asset, his jab. I think in a rematch, if done soon enough, Delahoya makes the adjustments to beat Mayweather and then Floyd can go do what he really loves, count his money.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...