• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mainbeam
    • Apr 2014

How To Speed bag tutorials

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum so apologies if this has been asked before.

Are there any tutorial videos on this forum for advanced speed bad training i.e. fancy looking stuff? I can only do the basic 'pulling the heavy rope over the shoulder' technique.

Also, any tutorial videos for advanced skipping techniques?

I am moving house soon and will be getting a 2 inch poplar or ash wood platform (30 inch) for my Lonsdale leather bag.

Thanks folks

Paul
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum!

1. get the "The Speed Bag Bible"

2. get the film "Art of the Bag"

3. look here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=21

4. Practice, practice, practice...
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Mainbeam
      • Apr 2014

Thanks Zaza, I will check the links out.

Paul

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mainbeam View Post
        Hi folks,

I am new to this forum so apologies if this has been asked before.

Are there any tutorial videos on this forum for advanced speed bad training i.e. fancy looking stuff? I can only do the basic 'pulling the heavy rope over the shoulder' technique.
        Also, any tutorial videos for advanced skipping techniques?

I am moving house soon and will be getting a 2 inch poplar or ash wood platform (30 inch) for my Lonsdale leather bag.

Thanks folks

Paul
        Hello Paul. Welcome to the forum. We strive to discuss speed bag training topics here honestly and we have a great base of knowledgeable members.

It is a bit difficult to answer a question that discusses "advanced speed bag" issues because of the very large diversity of skill levels, bag control and understanding of how the bag works. The word "advanced" can mean different things to different people. If your punching is at the "Pulling the rope over your shoulder" level with is basically hitting it from the front in triplet rhythm (speed of punching at this point doesn't matter), than I would suggest for you the term "advanced" might also mean adding a few elbow strikes from the front, which will keep you in the basic triplet rhythm, that will be the easiest way to advanced your skill. the next step would be to start learning to pass a single fist directly to the back and return to the front ("linking" sides of the bag). I would also suggest learning to understand and control the three reverse punching techniques from behind the bag (Reverse Single Punch (RSP), Reverse Double Punch (RDP), and
        Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) since these will be instrumental to your real advancement to the more complicated combinations.

I would suggest that trying to learn some "really fancy but very complicated" combo you see on it's own, without having the bag control or understanding of how to "get into" and "get out of" a combination smoothly will actually hold you back and you will progress slower than if you actually learn the several steps that make up a more complicated "fancy bagging" combination.

And then post a video for review. Leave off the musical soundtrack unless you are actually attempting punch drumming. For teaching purposes the bag punching sound is far more important to seeing and knowing what you are doing than any song playing in the background.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mainbeam
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hello Paul. Welcome to the forum. We strive to discuss speed bag training topics here honestly and we have a great base of knowledgeable members.

It is a bit difficult to answer a question that discusses "advanced speed bag" issues because of the very large diversity of skill levels, bag control and understanding of how the bag works. The word "advanced" can mean different things to different people. If your punching is at the "Pulling the rope over your shoulder" level with is basically hitting it from the front in triplet rhythm (speed of punching at this point doesn't matter), than I would suggest for you the term "advanced" might also mean adding a few elbow strikes from the front, which will keep you in the basic triplet rhythm, that will be the easiest way to advanced your skill. the next step would be to start learning to pass a single fist directly to the back and return to the front ("linking" sides of the bag). I would also suggest learning to understand and control the three reverse punching techniques from behind the bag (Reverse Single Punch (RSP), Reverse Double Punch (RDP), and

Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) since these will be instrumental to your real advancement to the more complicated combinations.

I would suggest that trying to learn some "really fancy but very complicated" combo you see on it's own, without having the bag control or understanding of how to "get into" and "get out of" a combination smoothly will actually hold you back and you will progress slower than if you actually learn the several steps that make up a more complicated "fancy bagging" combination.

And then post a video for review. Leave off the musical soundtrack unless you are actually attempting punch drumming. For teaching purposes the bag punching sound is far more important to seeing and knowing what you are doing than any song playing in the background.

Speedbag, excellent advice! I am at the basic level of triplet rhythm. I understand taking things one step at a time. I will research your quotes methods via YouTube etc for tutorial and hopefully will improve. Look for a post from me in the near future.

Thanks again

Paul

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
            • Apr 2012

Oh yeah!! 30, 40 YEARS of stuff available.
            Give You Tube a go... Type in Speed Bag.
            It's a good start.

Good luck! Welcome...
            Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...