Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • o0obruceleeo0o
    • Sep 2006

I have a swivel similar to #2 and I have noticed that no matter how I hit it, it will rotate and swing along the same axis. So, the same two sides of the bag are always being hit and rebounded. Do all swivels work this way? Looking at #4 it looks like it could swing along two axis' and #5 and #6 seem to able to swing any which way. If I am wrong in assuming this please correct me.

Anyway, as far as function goes I have no problem with my swivel, but it seems to be making my bag lopsided. It is a Century 7x10 vinyl bag, and when I first bought it it seemed to have a perfect shape, but over the last week of hitting it it has become lopsided - I am assuming this is coming from hitting the same two sides all the time. I haven't noticed any "odd bounces" or anything yet, so it really isn't a problem, but I am afraid it will become a problem over time. Could this just be that it is a cheap bag? Or maybe it is a design flaw in the swivel? Or maybe this is normal and it doesn't matter and I am just fretting over nothing ... Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the #2 more closely, mine is more basic than that, it is just one "link" in the chain instead of two. #2 looks like it can swing on two axis' as well. I have been looking all over but I can't find a pic of mine. It looks very cheap, but for right now it seems to be working great (other than the lopsided issue).
    Last edited by o0obruceleeo0o; 09-25-2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
      I have a swivel similar to #2 and I have noticed that no matter how I hit it, it will rotate and swing along the same axis. So, the same two sides of the bag are always being hit and rebounded. Do all swivels work this way? Looking at #4 it looks like it could swing along two axis' and #5 and #6 seem to able to swing any which way. If I am wrong in assuming this please correct me.

Anyway, as far as function goes I have no problem with my swivel, but it seems to be making my bag lopsided. It is a Century 7x10 vinyl bag, and when I first bought it it seemed to have a perfect shape, but over the last week of hitting it it has become lopsided - I am assuming this is coming from hitting the same two sides all the time. I haven't noticed any "odd bounces" or anything yet, so it really isn't a problem, but I am afraid it will become a problem over time. Could this just be that it is a cheap bag? Or maybe it is a design flaw in the swivel? Or maybe this is normal and it doesn't matter and I am just fretting over nothing ... Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Travis

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the #2 more closely, mine is more basic than that, it is just one "link" in the chain instead of two. #2 looks like it can swing on two axis' as well. I have been looking all over but I can't find a pic of mine. It looks very cheap, but for right now it seems to be working great (other than the lopsided issue).
      I hate the chain link swivels and quickly uninstalled mine after using it a short time. This type of swivel is the hardest to hit from all sides of the bag. A few people prefer this type of swivel, but most here on the board prefer the ball hook swivels (#5 & 6) or the #1 or #3.

I personally use a ball hook swivel for outdoors and a #3 for indoors because the #3 is quieter.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
        • Sep 2006

I ended up with a chain link swivel and this weekend I decided to put a little duck tape around the link to make it stiff. The bag doesn't get cocked sideways on the link now and it seems to work alot better for me.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          I hate the chain link swivels and quickly uninstalled mine after using it a short time. This type of swivel is the hardest to hit from all sides of the bag. A few people prefer this type of swivel, but most here on the board prefer the ball hook swivels (#5 & 6) or the #1 or #3.

I personally use a ball hook swivel for outdoors and a #3 for indoors because the #3 is quieter.
          Thanks for the advice, I just ordered a plastic Everlast Ball hook (#5). I figure if I don't like it, it was only $10 and can be used as a backup.
          Last edited by o0obruceleeo0o; 09-29-2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
            I ended up with a chain link swivel and this weekend I decided to put a little duck tape around the link to make it stiff. The bag doesn't get cocked sideways on the link now and it seems to work alot better for me.
            Maybe my ultracheap chainlink is better in this aspect, because with only one "link" it can't get cocked sideways. I will try to find some batteries for my camera so I can take a picture of mine so you can see what I mean.

Comment

• the need for speed
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Sep 2006

I upgraded from 6 to 2. Found it to be faster. Now I have my eye on #3.

Comment

• JimR
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2006

What do you call #2? It looks like the one on my gym's Balazs 4 Station Boxing Stand.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JimR View Post
                  What do you call #2? It looks like the one on my gym's Balazs 4 Station Boxing Stand.
                  The #2 is normally referred to as a chain link swivel here on the site.

I personally refer to them as crap. They are the worst type of swivel in my opinion because they only work well in one plane. All of the others work better when hit from all directions, some better than others.

Comment

• saifullah21
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Nov 2006

I've been using swivel #3 since I started(about 2 weeks) and I love it. I thought I'd try #5 but it was actually more noisy. I did notice that it was much harder to control the bag with the #5. I also tried this platinum swivel from title but didn't like it as much as the ringside super swivel.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                      • Jan 2007

When I was a little kid (10-12) my dad set a speed bag up for me, and I realized at that age how fun it was and taught myself the basic rhythm (not sure, but I think the setup got thrown away after the bag popped).

Fast forward 30 years - I recently bought a platform, bag+swivel combo to keep my upper body in shape for surfing when in the off-season and motox (and to re-live the fun I had as a kid!). After a few weeks of FCP and FSP I researched for some new techniques on the internet (I thought all there was to the speed bag was the basic rhythm) and found Alan's (aka the Michael Jordan of the speed bag) speed bag bible and DVD (I could go on for hours about how excellent that book+DVD is - thanks for putting it together Alan and doing an excellent job! I am in the process of converting some of my surfer friends into getting the same speed bag setup as it is the closest thing to simulating 'paddling out' on a surfboard). So after 6 months I have gone nuts, buying gloves, swivels, bags, wraps... Anyways, to the swivels:

Currently I have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 swivels. The #5 came with my setup, after 5 min of use it came apart (as everyone else has described), so just assuming it was plastic and junk I threw it away. I thought I'd 'upgrade' to #2 thinking it would be quieter than the #5, but after a month or so it got noisier! It was ok, but sometimes got messed up when changing angles (not as bad as the number #3) and was a PAIN when changing bags (chain link is tricky to get off - any ideas anyone on that?), and sometimes I like to change to a different bag frequently to mix it up.

So then today I get the #3 and put it on the platform. Right away things didn't look good - it hangs lower, so given that the speed bag is a pendulum, the period of the pendulum (how long for a rebound) is related to the length (distance from platform to bottom of bag) with all other things being equal (like force bag was hit with, etc). I thought, no problem, later on I'll drill out a hole and put the #3 on top of the platform and stick thru the bottom to reduce the length from platform to bottom of bag. I thought I'd have a much quieter setup with the #3 (that is one of my my concerns - I like to hear the bag and music as much as possible, no metal clanging). For sure it is quieter, but MAN, the thing SUCKS when hitting it and changing directions! If I hit with the basic rhythm it's great (although like the previous poster mentioned - will most likely wear the bag on the 2 given sides as it only works in 1 plane well), and 'floats' around. Once I throw and ODES or OTES or side punch or anything other than the basic pattern, it flies around, or gets messed up. I zip tied it, taped it, tried different things, all that seemed to do was slow it down (I have 6-7 bags, the smaller ones seem a little better). It sucks because I paid for shipping, and to return it will be more shipping, not really making it worth returning (say to save $5). I could see in a gym if 99% of the users are doing the basic rhythm this would be a great swivel (+ easy to change bags).

Anyways, I may go out and buy a plastic swivel (#5) tomorrow and give that a shot again after reading the posts on this site (stupid me, threw the first one out, out of anger). I like the #6, but it is very, very, very noisy! The bags also popped off a lot, but I think someone had a great comment about using the zip ties to solve that.

The good thing from all of this is given that the #3 is lower, I realized that my setup was just a little too high for me! I could throw my inward elbow strikes much easier an inch lower with more accuracy! It's really hard to imagine that given this day and age, it's THAT difficult for these manufacturers to come up with a decent swivel!?
                      Last edited by jason_m_amy; 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                        • Oct 2006

there is not a combo out there that i can do with the ball hook(5 and 6) that i cant do with my super swivel(3). i actually like number 3 better than 5 and 6. i also think too much emphasis is placed on the swivel. thats just my opinion.
                        Last edited by Kevdawg0324; 01-19-2007, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
                          there is not a combo out there that i can do with the ball hook(5 and 6) that i cant do with my super swivel(3). i actually like number 3 better than 5 and 6. i also think too much emphasis is placed on the swivel. thats just my opinion.
                          I agree Kevdawg, I've noticed the same thing. It did take a little bit of adjustment, and now that I"ve been using my #3 on my indoors unit, I'm interested to see how much of an adjustment it will be going to my # 6 I have on my outdoors unit when I start using it in April when the weather changes up here. I do almost all of my speed bagging outdoors during Spring through Fall.

Jason_m_amy, I noticed that using tape keeps the bag from floating around the best and it's the quickest. I find that I can reuse my tape at least twice, sometimes 3 or 4 times depending on how dirty I get the tape. It does take a little adjustment, but I can do anything on my #3 that I can on my #6.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hmmmm

i would say 1, 3, and 6 i also enjoy the plastic swivel as well but rather the noise of metal!

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                              Jason_m_amy, I noticed that using tape keeps the bag from floating around the best and it's the quickest. I find that I can reuse my tape at least twice, sometimes 3 or 4 times depending on how dirty I get the tape. It does take a little adjustment, but I can do anything on my #3 that I can on my #6.
                              So you tape the bag loop to the U-shaped bar? Do you give the bag loop a little slack to 'swing'? I was thinking of putting a zip tie+plastic washer on each side of the bag loop to allow for it to swing completely free, yet not ride up the U bar and float.

I zip tied it, helped the floating a little bit, but I noticed that the bag was always hitting the platform on the exact same sides of the bag. Do you notice any unusual wear on the bags after several months of use?

Thanks, Jason

Comment

• Chris M
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Mar 2006

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	87081

To answer your question, yes, the bag does always hit on the same two sides, but I haven't noticed any unusual wear whatsoever. I do hit from all sides, but obviously it doesn't affect the wear on the bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...