glove or no glove....that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wizdom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2006

glove or no glove....that is the question.

So do you guys like to wear gloves on the speed bag...if so what kind??
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Personally, I like wraps myself, specifically, the mexican style because they're thinner and aren't as bulky. All the gloves I've tried (admittedly not that many) have been too bulky, too hot, or don't give me the feel I like to have.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag gloves

For years I went barehanded. When I glove, which is a lot more lately, I like the Harbinger #130 Classic WristWrap ®
      It is a soft leather that takes the bag well, with no seams over the major contacts areas of the fist.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I go gloveless all the time now. I think having the Title 8x5 bag really helps - it's softer and easier on the hands than what I had before. That being said, I don't punch for hours and hours every week. Right now I'm only doing 3 15 minute sessions per week.

Comment

• pomaikai
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2006

I have the vinyl everlast bag that came with my platform and the plastic seams will eat your knuckles if you go barehand. I started with wraps and moved to the Evergel wrist wrap gloves. I like the wrap, but wanted something quicker and simpler to put on. The Evergel gloves are nice, but requires getting used to. After a few workouts I am used to them. They arent as good as wraps, just quicker to put on and take off. Hopefully when i get the Everlast 4200 today I can take the gloves back and just hit barehanded.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Bare handed speed bag

Originally posted by pomaikai
            ... Hopefully when i get the Everlast 4200 today I can take the gloves back and just hit barehanded.
            Careful of those plastic red external welting ( beaded seam). You might want to wait on the barehand until they are beat flat a bit.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Wizdom
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Apr 2006

i like the evarlast evergel glove...

they are quick and easy and seem pretty light. im new to this but i prefer these gloves to barehanded.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Everlast Gel Gloves

I like the Everlast Gel Gloves also, but they have a drawback. You might not feel this drawback in "regular" speed bag punching (* what I call regular is hitting from the front mostly, perhaps some outward elbow strikes, and simple front to back linking).

but when you step it up to more complex combinations, Side, front, back, fist rolling etc, all done fast with lots of hand direction changes - you will feel the "gel pad" over the fronts of the fist shifting over your fist surface. Kind of like a thick mold of jello quaking in bowl. I find This sense of "gel jiggling" inside the glove annoying and unnatural. I do like the fit and hand protection of this glove, and I wear them on a "slow" day, hitting to slow music or lightly tagging the bag.

But If I'm gonna crank it up to near full speed, The Everlast Gel Gloves come off.

P.S. I also cut off the two crossing straps across the back of the hand. they curl up and from what I see, served no purpose.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• pomaikai
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2006

I did notice the gel shifting slightly on circle punches and that is the feeling I had to get used to. I just got the speed bag a few weeks ago so I dont know alot of combinations yet and the gel shifting is very minimum. I got the 4200 last night and the red welted seam is rounded and really smooth compared to the vinyl bag which has the plastic welts with a squared off end and stick out much further. I tried barehanded and the 4200 will need some flattening. For quick 10-15 minute workouts barehanded would be fine with the 4200, but my normal workouts with the 11x8 vinyl were about an 1-1.5 hours easily. Last night with the 4200 I could only get about 45 minutes before I started getting sloppy and dropping my arms.

I will probably end up cutting off those straps also because they are starting to curl up.

Comment

• Mike
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2006

I think I know the answer to this question, but I want to be sure.

Right now I am using a pair of weightlifting gloves and I like them because they are thin and I get a good "feel" for the speed bag.

The fingers are cut off and the middle knuckles of my fingers (the knuckle a wedding band would slide over) are exposed. I am obviously hitting these knuckles on the bag, because I have some slight redness on them and they sting a little toward the end of my workout.

Am I correct in thinking that if I was striking the bag properly, these knuckles would not come in contact with the bag?

Any suggestions to remedy striking the bag improperly?

Thanks for the help!

Semper Fi, Mike

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag gloves

Originally posted by Mike
                      ..Any suggestions to remedy striking the bag improperly?

Thanks for the help!

Semper Fi, Mike
                      Remedy for striking bag improperly = Practice.

NO Glove will correct striking the bag "improperly". That is a swing/motion problem, not a hand covering problem.

BUT, contacting the bag on those knuckles, or anywhere else on the fist might not necessarily be "striking the bag improperly" because you may hit different fist areas in different techniques. AND your swing angle to the bag may vary slightly causing a variance in contact area.

It is really not a big deal unless the angle and contact area continually effect (negatively) your ability to hit cleanly or go to any other technique.

Personally, I like my "half fingered gloves" to be a little longer, and actually cover the middle knuckle. that is why I normally use the Harbinger Classic glove. The XL size of these allows my middle knuckles to be covered, while the leather takes the bag very well, with limited seams interfering with my normal contact points.

Hope it helps.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• nowheredesign
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2006

Gloves

I tried some different gloves, but I didn't enjoy any of them. It's also hard for me to find the perfect heavy bag gloves.

I'm one of those people who likes to feel the impact on my hands on both bags. The problem is that I want to protect my wrists..

What I usually do (besides taping) is take a pair of seamless work gloves and cut the fingers out ( FOR THE SPEEDBAG ONLY!) That way, I can really feel the anatomy of my hand when I hit the bag.

As for the heavy bag, I used to have a great pair of old school gloves, but they don't make them anymore, so I use Everlast 4502 gloves.

:::

Comment

• Teetu
                          • Aug 2006

thought i would revive a little bit older thread, cause I noticed a product that caught my attention at ringside:

http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25776 Gel Shock Handwrap

It seems like a nice hybrid of sorts- half glove & half hand wrap. I don't know if would have the same sort of "gel shift" that Speedbag described, but a cool product nonetheless. Not a bad price, but shipping is 8 Bucks...

I LOVE hitting barehanded myself, but I'm tearing up my hands by doing so. I don't think hitting with wraps feels much worse, but I don't like having to wrap up just to have a quick session with the bag.
                          Last edited by Teetu; 08-31-2006, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• longshot454
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Aug 2006

i have had the 4200 everlast bag for over a year now and find that beening lighter then my 4210 i go barehanded, when i really want to go at it or if i feel like training with a damaged knuckle or two, or three for that matter i found that the neopren tko raps definitly make it a lot easier on the hands but go on with much less time then wraps.

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
                              • Sep 2006

I just got the Evergel Glove Wraps, and after only 2 days of use the stitching is already coming loose to form a hole on the outside edge of the glove. Has this happened to anyone else with these gloves? I'm thinking maybe I just got a defective pair or something. I am going to call everlast tomorrow to see if I can do anything about returning them.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...