Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Fitness

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Fitness General fitness not related to the speed bag

Old 08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by riqal View Post
Absolutely! I have been using pushup bars, and pushups have been may primary chest exercise. I have learned over the years that there are many ways to develop strength besides dumbells and barbells.

Pushups along with resistance tubing have worked well for me lately.
2 method that will always work great...especially if one cant afford a gym membership...i had a simple home gym set up and joined a gym 6 months ago and realised my home gym just wasnt cutting it! been great having all that equipment at me disposal.
________
Novana Residence Condos Pattaya

Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Speed Bag Guru

metaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone can, pick up Ross Enamait's "Underground Guide To Warrior Fitness", "Never Gymless", and "Infinite Intensity" These books are outstanding sources for total bodyweight excercise. "Infinite Intensity" brings dumbells and sandbags into the mix. Also if you can find Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning" another good source of strict body weight workouts. I've been out of the Corps for 15 years and lost alot of my pullup strength, but just today I finall did three sets of twelve without strain. I also did three sets of three thick grip pullups. Weights are great but bodyweight is anywhere anytime.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

harris411 is on a distinguished road
I did press ups for at least 10 years everyday from when i was a boy through to adulthood, never had any bad effects on me and gave me a top physique without ever going to a gym. I think press ups are way underrated, great for the shoulders and just about every muscle in the upper body. I can't think of an easier and yet so effective way of training. Still got the one hand 2 finger press up mastered, which i still love to show off after a few beers, although thats probably one way to do yourself damage!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Speed Bag Guru

fingers is on a distinguished road
Just bought a set of push up bars adds a whole new range of push ups!!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Kaju Dog is on a distinguished road
My teachers 52 and still does no less the 500 push ups every day. He is in better shape than most 20 y/o's I see in the Service.

I wish I had the consistancy and self discipline. (Working on it)

In the pic: Dr/Grandmaster Vince Black (L-standing), Sijo Adriano D. Emperado (Kajukenbo Style of Self Defense founding father - seated) and my teacher Grandmaster Greg Harper (aka KAJUPIT) (R-standing).

these 3 have all been a significant influence on my life and who I am today. I've been with my teacher since I was 14. (Now Im 36 and getting ready to go to class tonite)

Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaju Dog View Post
My teachers 52 and still does no less the 500 push ups every day. He is in better shape than most 20 y/o's I see in the Service.
They all look to be in great shape. I certainly hope I'm still that active at age 52.

Quote:
these 3 have all been a significant influence on my life and who I am today. I've been with my teacher since I was 14. (Now Im 36 and getting ready to go to class tonite)
I think that demonstrates quite a bit of consistency and self discipline!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Speed Bag Guru

metaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaju Dog View Post

I wish I had the consistancy and self discipline. (Working on it)

In the pic: Dr/Grandmaster Vince Black (L-standing), Sijo Adriano D. Emperado (Kajukenbo Style of Self Defense founding father - seated) and my teacher Grandmaster Greg Harper (aka KAJUPIT) (R-standing).

500 pushups? God Bles him!! I'm really getting into the Hindu pushup/Divebomber and pullups(not chin ups) I'm finally back to 10 reps, shooting for the standard 20 plus. Ican only do 50 hindu pushups.Bodyweight exercise rules!! Weights are great but antime anywhere for body weight.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Geronimo is on a distinguished road
I wasnt in the service but have been working push ups on regular for while, 10-20 sets of 20-30 reps rest switch to inner position pushups, rest, n so forth. Only thing I ever noticed is on days I BP I dont press to many Pushups prior to BP that day, I use them as a burn out after my BP sets are done. In the past when Id wake up and burn out 200 Pushups, and then later that day benchpress I noticebly saw that my BP sets where burning out at the 8th - 10th rep vs days id be easier on the pushups prior or none at all the BP sets were smoother and easier. Obviously this is due to fatigue in the muscles from the push up sets prior to BP.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM

bigpete405 is on a distinguished road
I do pushups and pullups at least 3 times a week. Some times the days I go to powerhouse or just if im bored after I hit the bags at my house. It's your own bodyweight so you are less likely to overtrain.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Speed Bag Guru

atgatt is on a distinguished road
Somehow this thread escaped me till now, interesting reading. Maybe I’ve developed tendonitis in front of my shoulders, or whatever, because that is the spot that keeps me from hitting everyday along with many other daily exercises. I agree you have to listen to your body and see what works for you. I try to do something everyday for about at least an hour that gives the tired part of my body a rest till I can work that part again.

In my “yout” I was able to do 50 strict full up and down chin ups in a row. Past injuries since changed what I can do but through this forum and other sources, it is good inspiration to work at keeping fit.

Metaldad, I will look at those books you posted if they are at the library.

Darn, I’ve looked at those pushup bars many times, now I will go and get them. Walmart has them on sale for $15.