• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

How To "Three Punch Monty" practice combo's

Here are a few quick three punch combinations that I call the “Three Punch Monty”. It features three punches with one rebound in between that rotates your hands around the bag. Then after two rebounds, you repeat it using different sides. It will help develop quick side changing fist control for advanced combinations.

It starts with a Front Double Punch (FDP), to a Side Single Punch (SSP), followed by a Side Double Punch (SDP) from the other side of the bag to a Reverse Single Punch (RSP)

R-L ' R ' ' R-L ' R…

(FDP) ' (SSP) ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)….Repeat, same fist order

Notice the lead fist (Right in this case) of each Double Punch breaks off and goes to the other bag area. (side then back). Notice the right fist hits these bag areas: Front, right Side, Front, back (reverse).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can also start this from a Reverse Double Punch and use the same fist order

R-L ' R ' ' R-L ' R…

(RDP) ' (SSP) ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)….Repeat, same fist order

Notice the lead fist (Right in this case) of each Double Punch again breaks off and goes to the other bag area. (side then back). Notice the right fist hits these bag areas: Front, right Side, Front, back (reverse).

As a variation, you can also change the (SDP) to a Front Double Punch

R-L ' R ' ' R-L ' R…

(RDP) ' (SSP) ' ' (FDP) ' (*SSP)….Repeat, same fist order

Notice the lead fist (Right in this case) of the RDP breaks off and goes to the right side of the bag, and then goes back to the Right Side for the last (*SSP)….. can go to a FDP or SDP.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can also start this from a Side Double Punch, keeping the same fist order.

R-L ' R ' ' R-L ' R…

(SDP) ' (RSP) ' ' (FDP) ' (SSP)….Repeat, same fist order

Notice the lead fist (Right in this case) of the SDP will hit the front of the bag and the Left fist hits the left side. The Right goes behind for the RSP, then leads the FDP and goes to the Right Side for the last SSP.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Playing with these three punch combo’s will allow you to begin to “own” moving your hands all around the bag. I suggest you choose ONE and work on it for a while, and do it leading with the Right, then Left Fist. After it feels really comfortable, go to another one and work it. After you work all of them for a while you will be able to mix and match at will and your fists will be whirling around the bag however you want. The secret is knowing that the lead fist of any double punch is the fist the goes to another side after one rebound. Notice a Front Circle Punch does not appear. That is because there is no double punch that easily allows a FCP to occur after ONE rebound.

With time and practice, you can also begin these combo’s from the SSP, or RSP. You can also start this from a Front Circle Punch (FCP), but you must add a (SSP) to create the SDP combo. (the lead fist of a SDP is actually a FCP). There a lot of variations you can do off of these.

You don't have to do them fast. Air punch them a few times to learn the movments, then start slow on the bag. Good luck and hope they help you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    I suggest you choose ONE and work on it for a while, and do it leading with the Right, then Left Fist. After it feels really comfortable, go to another one and work it.
    Aye aye captain

I've printed this out and will take it out to the garage tomorrow

You other guys need to try this... it may seem intimidating or impossible at first, but you gotta try it!
    Last edited by Tim; 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Aye aye captain

I've printed this out and will take it out to the garage tomorrow

You other guys need to try this... it may seem intimidating or impossible at first, but you gotta try it!
      I think you'll find the first two pretty easy.

(easy for me to say....)

The hard part is going to a RSP after a SSP. Note that the second fist of the SDP is a SSP.

So, when your do

.R-L....R
      SDP ' RSP

Look at the Right Fist. It hits the Front of the bag in the SDP, then has to pass through for the RSP the R while the second fist (L) is hitting from the side. The L will make create a rebound angle that makes the bag want to hit your right forearm. Think about it, you're right arm is extended a bit to get the right fist behind the bag, and your left is pushing the bag sideways with your arm extended into the rebound zone. IF it hits your right arm, you may want to lower your Right elbow just a tad to drop it below the bottom of the bag when it goes sideways.

I do the FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP a lot and I know I cheat that angle by dropping my elbow a bit and looping the fist upward a bit behind the bag. You probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't tell you, but to learn the combo it's only fair to tell the secrets.
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I think you'll find the first two pretty easy.

(easy for me to say....)
        I do find (SDP) ' (RSP) easy.

FDP ' SSP I find extremely difficult.

Will keep practicing.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I do find (SDP) ' (RSP) easy.

FDP ' SSP I find extremely difficult.

Will keep practicing.
          It is a very subtle movement that is almost a wrist motion more than an arm swing. The key is the rebound angle off the next punch:

You do a R-L FDP. your right fist hit and moves just a tad forward as the left fist hits. As the left fist hits, and the bag goes to the board, your Right fist is already on the right side of that rebound. There is no real arm adjustment needed for the natural movement of your right follow through and next rebound already have your fist in position. Simply do a quick dragging motion sideways with the Right wrist, dragging your Right fist across you face to the left eye, and it should automatically hit the right side panel of the bag. This will actually put the right fist in the correct position to lead the next SDP.

Try doing F-ROLL ' SSP. It's a quick wrist flip from the front of the bag to the right side panel. the bag rebound angle allows it to happen automatically and the only trick is timing the "side drag", which happens quick after one rebound. Once you do it from a fist roll you got it, for the last two punches of a F-Roll are actually a FDP anyway....
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

It is a very subtle movement that is almost a wrist motion more than an arm swing. The key is the rebound angle off the next punch:

You do a R-L FDP. your right fist hit and moves just a tad forward as the left fist hits. As the left fist hits, and the bag goes to the board, your Right fist is already on the right side of that rebound. There is no real arm adjustment needed for the natural movement of your right follow through and next rebound already have your fist in position. Simply do a quick dragging motion sideways with the Right wrist, dragging your Right fist across you face to the left eye, and it should automatically hit the right side panel of the bag. This will actually put the right fist in the correct position to lead the next SDP.
            Thanks that advice does help, I was able to do this properly a few times this evening. The key was "wrist motion" vs "arm motion" Had to cut the session short though, it's been COLD here.... was down to 32 degrees yesterday morning ... BRRRRR. Cold hands and sharp speed bag seams don't mix!

Try doing F-ROLL ' SSP. It's a quick wrist flip from the front of the bag to the right side panel. the bag rebound angle allows it to happen automatically and the only trick is timing the "side drag", which happens quick after one rebound.
            Got that one on the first try

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks that advice does help, I was able to do this properly a few times this evening. The key was "wrist motion" vs "arm motion" Had to cut the session short though, it's been COLD here.... was down to 32 degrees yesterday morning ... BRRRRR. Cold hands and sharp speed bag seams don't mix!

Got that one on the first try
              told ya. You will be amazed how simple it is eventually. The rebound angles of the bag and closeness of the hands make some of these combinations much easier than you would think.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

told ya. You will be amazed how simple it is eventually. The rebound angles of the bag and closeness of the hands make some of these combinations much easier than you would think.
                Gee I don't know ... I've made some progress on this recently, but it's not coming very quick. In all fairness, I haven't been baggin that much lately.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Gee I don't know ... I've made some progress on this recently, but it's not coming very quick. In all fairness, I haven't been baggin that much lately.
                  Me either.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

Me either.
                    Same been busy with school and really focusing on my weight lifting
                    ________
                    NiceTits4You cam
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I was able to do this in a repeatable fashion tonite

(FDP) ' (SSP) ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)….

I predict video by the end of the weekend

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I was able to do this in a repeatable fashion tonite

(FDP) ' (SSP) ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)….

I predict video by the end of the weekend
                        Now, wasn't that much easier than you thought?
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2007

Ya!

Reckon it would go down pretty good on the dance floor too. Air swingin to some hard house trance. Aaahhhh!

But enough of that.

Awww heck. What the hell, what the hey. I wasn't going to mention it on this thread, but i figure we're 2 pages into it sos probably won't be to bad.

Anyhow.

I've been developing a different approach to the F-Roll, minus the fist (as we would ordinarily know it). To give you the early scoop, and for readers of this thread only;

I've put together a triple elbow roll, by saying roll i'm talking about 1 rebound only, and to beat who-ever to the punch (pardon the pun) I mean 1 rebound from the front of the drum.

Sorry Folks. But before i can reveal the full movement of this motion i gotta work out how to put it into speed bag notation. "Hey that rhymes", and has good consinence and ascinence.

Let me get back to yooz on this one.
                          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                            Ya!

Reckon it would go down pretty good on the dance floor too. Air swingin to some hard house trance. Aaahhhh!

But enough of that.

Awww heck. What the hell, what the hey. I wasn't going to mention it on this thread, but i figure we're 2 pages into it sos probably won't be to bad.

Anyhow.

I've been developing a different approach to the F-Roll, minus the fist (as we would ordinarily know it). To give you the early scoop, and for readers of this thread only;

I've put together a triple elbow roll, by saying roll i'm talking about 1 rebound only, and to beat who-ever to the punch (pardon the pun) I mean 1 rebound from the front of the drum.

Sorry Folks. But before i can reveal the full movement of this motion i gotta work out how to put it into speed bag notation. "Hey that rhymes", and has good consinence and ascinence.

Let me get back to yooz on this one.
                            This sounds like a good one! Put it on a video and I'll be glad to put it in speed bag notation for you.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Some three punch monty

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...