• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

1940's A.G. Spalding Pro Platform

So... I just happen to have some time to kill the other day and went surfing on Craigslist....went to sports...searched 'Speed Bag' to see if there was anything interesting available....and man was there ever!

To my delight, I found a 1940's (as I am told), adjustable, A.G. Spalding Professionl Speed Bag Platform for sale right up the road. I called and talked to the owner. I was told that the man's Father was a boxer in the Army and went on to train & fight on a semi-pro level. He also told me that he had trained on this very platform with the one & only Jack Dempsey!

He swears it's true and it's been in his family for as long as he can remember. He then went on to tell me that the Smithsonian was very interested in aquiring the piece, but since there were a few parts replaced over the years (it's been in use pretty much all this time) and it wasn't ALL original, they would have to pass.

I decided to go take a look & what a monster it is. It has a 36" drum that's 2" thick and made of hardwood (I don't know the type yet). It is adjustable with a couple levers, one on each side and goes up or down about 10". Made of cast-iron (I think), this baby comes in at about 100 lbs.! It also has an Everlast ball & hook swivel and a 4208 bag. It might not look like it from these pictures but this thing is solid.

After seeing it, I HAD to have it. It now sits in my garage and is a nice restoration project for the summer. I have NO idea where I could put this thing, but it is a work of art! I think I'll call it "The Beast"... or maybe, "Manassa Mauler Monster".

I can't seem to find any information, old catalogs or pictures of this unit...so if any of you have any information, it would be most appreciated.

From a 1917 A.G. Spalding & Bros. Fall Catalog:

unrestored parts:

Finished, reassembled...and up on the wall again!

Demo:
    Last edited by Zaza; 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You did good. Wow.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
      • Apr 2011

SWEET SWEET SWEET SWEET! NO WAY!!!! Great piece + story! If I were closer id sandblast the frame and recoat it for ya! That's got 100 more years of use!!! Congrats!
      -
      Owner/Operator
      www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Whoa!! what a beast, and it even has the top and bottom horizontal wooden struts with it, and it looks to be the original 36in Drum. That a beautiful piece of workmanship from days gone by. it needs a really great location.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          You did good. Wow.
          Thanks... just a lucky find. Now the real work begins.

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
          SWEET SWEET SWEET SWEET! NO WAY!!!! Great piece + story! If I were closer id sandblast the frame and recoat it for ya! That's got 100 more years of use!!! Congrats!
          Mindreader! I'm going to find a local place that can sandblast it without damaging anything and recoat. It would go great with the HUGH bag you restored.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Whoa!! what a beast, and it even has the top and bottom horizontal wooden struts with it, and it looks to be the original 36in Drum. That a beautiful piece of workmanship from days gone by. it needs a really great location.
          I know... it just called out to me to be saved. I'll be posting pictures as the project develops.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

I think that I have some Spaulding information, but unfortunately it's on the other computer and it's not currently hooked up (we have only one functional monitor at the moment). If I get a chance when this comp isn't being used I'll see if I can transfer it.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              I think that I have some Spaulding information, but unfortunately it's on the other computer and it's not currently hooked up (we have only one functional monitor at the moment). If I get a chance when this comp isn't being used I'll see if I can transfer it.
              That would be excellent... and MOST appreciated. I can't seem to find anything on this platform.

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Talked to a vintage sports collector/dealer today... he tells me the round A.G. Spalding logo is from the 1930's not the 1940's. This thing is getting older by the day!

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Update......

O.K., she's done and back together! Now to just get it mounted on the wall, put the swivel back on and hit away.

Here's a parts before picture:

I had the parts lightly sandblasted and then powdercoated with a semi-gloss black....pretty!

Cleaned all the wood, first with a ultra-fine steel wool...then good old Murphy's Oil Soap followed by some Pledge!

....next will be a video of me hitting on it....standby.....

Comment

• larted
                    • Mar 2009

I like it.
                    Larry

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                      • Apr 2011

Dude!! Nice! It looks like it's adjustable too, no? Does it have locking screws to secure the height or is it fixed?

You should be proud of that! Nothing like wrenching on a project yourself, especially something with such a deep history... plus you can bag on that on a daily basis!! Gotta admit, a little jelous!! LOL! Great work on the metal, wood, and reassembly!
                      -
                      Owner/Operator
                      www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
                        Dude!! Nice! It looks like it's adjustable too, no? Does it have locking screws to secure the height or is it fixed?

You should be proud of that! Nothing like wrenching on a project yourself, especially something with such a deep history... plus you can bag on that on a daily basis!! Gotta admit, a little jelous!! LOL! Great work on the metal, wood, and reassembly!
                        Thanks! Yes, it is height adjustable...there are little levers on each side that lock it into place. It give you about 10" of height adjustment. Can't wait to get this on the wall and hit. I love little projects like this. Just cleaned out a spot in the garage and painted the wall. Off to Home Depot for a few 2x6's and some lag bolts....

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

O.K., ... started to mount this thing on the wall.....almost killed myself!
                          I need a couple more people or a chain hoist....I'm leaning towards the hoist.

Happy Memorial Day to all.... and thanks to all you vets!

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

Just be glad it's not a Narrenganset Machine Co. platform, I've heard that it can take four stout persons to lift it into position and two to do the actual fastening to the wall (in a hurry!). Yes it's really heavy.

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              Just be glad it's not a Narrenganset Machine Co. platform, I've heard that it can take four stout persons to lift it into position and two to do the actual fastening to the wall (in a hurry!). Yes it's really heavy.
                              Got it! ...and it only took 3 stout persons!
                              Again, I almost killed myself...fell off the ladder, but all is well.

Now that it's up, I have one word to describe it.... AWESOME! I LOVE this thing. Got it up this morning at 8:30am, just stopped hitting on it...it's a record for me. (and I have sore hands)

Man, they sure don't make them like they use to. This is SO solid, totally adjustable with 2 levers & locks into place like no one's business. Real easy to adjust too. I'm so glad I bought this and revived it, it will be around for many more years.

Had to clear one side of the garage...painted the wall and here she is... the Monster!

I'll shoot some video tomorrow and show how it adjusts....and hits.
                              What a thing of beauty it is...and after spending time with it, I truely believe Jack Dempsey DID train on this platform (I'm still trying to document that)!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...