• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Another Lucky Find..

Just scored a Frontier Sporting Goods Striking Bag on eBay. Seller said the leather was soft and supple. From the photos it looked brand new.Even had the original box.
    Waiting with baited breath for this one. One of the lessor known brands, from what I have been able to dig up do far it's another firm that primarily made baseball equipment. Photos as soon as it arrives
    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-12-2018, 06:22 PM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

It's pretty!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

It looks similar to my A.J.Reach bag. From the description it sounded like it has a bottom valve bladder, but the seller did not attempt to inflate it. My experience is that it's probably a butyl rubber bladder, which usually ages fairly well , with the exception of the valve. We'll see when it gets here.

Comment

• jaja6009
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2016

Definitely get some pics up when she arrives and is inflated. Funny how at first I avoided vintage bags, but now love them. That Everlast 4200 I got changed my whole thinking about vintage bags.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

As others on this board will attest, buying a vintage bag without having the luxury of examining it can be a bit of a gamble. All too often what looks good in a photo can actually have dry rot, to the point where they can't even be displayed let alone actually used for the intended purpose. I've bought a couple like that, kept them because they were relatively rare makes. It all depends how they were treated and more importantly, how they were stored. "Barn finds" tend to be disasters, as well as ones that have been in damp basements.The extreme heat in attics is not kind either. The best ones tend to be the ones that have been put away in a closet in the house and forgotten about until now....

Comment

• REB
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2017

Very Nice! It looks to be a big one. It fills the box which is 16 inches long.

If you do not like it Dutchman, I will make a good offer for it

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Bag arrived today, it's in great shape, the only problem is that the valve is shot (which I expected). Did manage to inflate it and plug it long enough to take a couple of photos. As soon as I convert the images I'll post them. The bag is a 9 x14, with a nice fat belly. I have to order some bladders for a couple other bags that I have that need them, once I install a new one I'll post a report

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

[IMG]ScreenHunter_27 Jan. 21 16.20.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• REB
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Can't view it

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

just post the full url here

-Rusty
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

How did you even get that? I deleted that within ten seconds of posting. The photo doesn't have a URL , yet

Comment

• REB
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2017

This was in your post Dutchman...

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Okay, I think that this is going to work, file was too big to start with.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• REB
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2017

Good lookin' bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

I've put a new bladder in it, and it's actually quite lively and responsive for a long neck. The leather is in like new shape. The sellers claim that it was new/never used is not totally accurate from my observations. Yes, there were no blemishes of any kind on the leather. But when I went to install the new bladder, I noticed a not too professional job of lacing on the neck. The old bladder is a butyl rubber, and appears to be a bit small for the size of the bag. So I surmise that it got very little use, (on a really good platform, not a rebound ring) and at some point needed a replacement bladder. I have no idea if the seller was part of the family that originally owned it, or if they are retailer.
                              Really neat bag though, it'll more than likely go into the use rotation behind the A.J.Reach bag.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...