• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Could use opinions on these swivels

These swivels came with some bags I bought. Not sure whether to keep either of them or eBay them. I could use some opinions on their junkiness.

hi res link: http://i.imgur.com/Szx8XGZ.jpg

hi res link: http://i.imgur.com/VDkYyJe.jpg

The Everlast looks like it might be quality vintage. The base is just cast zinc? I think, but the ball housing and chain links are machined parts with internal bearings, and you don't see that anymore. The other one looks pretty junky to me. Despite the vintage looking box, it looks like stamped junk that won't take much use and abuse.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

The Everlast is the classic roller chain link swivel, and yeah they definitely don't make them like this anymore. The flange is probably an alloy, which what they prior to the introduction of the nylon flanges. So it dates at least from the 1980's if not a little before. The other one is indeed a stamped metal one, which are still being cranked out in some third world sweatshops and being sold on eBay. Is there any indication who made/sold this one? I'd be hesitant about offering this for sale, just by the nature of these and their short life span

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

The 2nd crap one has no indication of the maker or seller. I'll junk it.

As for the 1st one, I think you are spot on again as usual. The bag it was on was a 1984 Olympic version of the Everlast 4200 bag. So, definitely the early 80's on that swivel.

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        The 2nd crap one has no indication of the maker or seller. I'll junk it.

As for the 1st one, I think you are spot on again as usual. The bag it was on was a 1984 Olympic version of the Everlast 4200 bag. So, definitely the early 80's on that swivel.

-Rusty
        The chain link is indeed an older model. The machine tool marks on the top of the housing give it away for me. The newer models (no longer made) are smooth. I believe the older model had a coarse thread that extended only partially down the male portion of the housing. I also find that the older model flange will accept a newer model (albeit a bit loose) but not the other way around (likely because a coarse thread can accommodate a fine thread but not the other way around).

I may be a bit of an outlier here, but, I like the chain links as I find them to be very fast. I suspect because there is less metal-to-metal contact. They do not lend themselves to fancy hitting.

As far as the other swivel goes, in my opinion it's basically a toy.

Bag Man
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...