How I made my Whitely ball and hook super quiet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyspeed
    • Jun 2015

How I made my Whitely ball and hook super quiet.

Im very new to speedbags. Lately I found an old platform and it had the ball and hook in it much to my ignorance. Anyway, once I got it installed up on the wall I noticed it was quite noisy and clanky. I guess its part of the charm but I like it quiet and besides that, clanky means metal is wearing away and these swivels are no longer readily available.

I drilled out the hole in the ball about 1/4" deep and about 5/16 wide to make space for a knot to sit flush. I used paracord, tied a knot so that it hung at the same length as the hook did and attached the bag.

Then I put Sil-Glyde lube in the ball joint. Unbelievably smooth and quiet. It feels like virtually zero friction and zero sticky spots.

This thing is silent except for the punching and the actual hitting of the bag on the ring. I think the rebound rings are even quieter because the bag only makes contact with the ring and there is no 'slap' of the bag against a flat surface. I also think the rebound is stronger because the force is compressing a smaller surface area. I dont know much about physics but, its quite a rebound. I have heard rebound rings decrease life span of bags, we shall see.

I've only been 'bagging' for a few days. Already Im getting better and its starting to get fun, and now its quiet so Im not bothering my family.

Gary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by garyspeed; 06-23-2015, 07:04 PM.
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

I imagine if you make the cord a bit shorter you will get a smaller arc and faster motion. Or have you made the cord that length to suit the size of the bag and where it needs to be to contact the ring at it's belly? Quiet is good if it means longer and more bag action. post up a video of this beast in action if you can! That's a nice job you have done.

Comment

• garyspeed
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
      I imagine if you make the cord a bit shorter you will get a smaller arc and faster motion. Or have you made the cord that length to suit the size of the bag and where it needs to be to contact the ring at it's belly? Quiet is good if it means longer and more bag action. post up a video of this beast in action if you can! That's a nice job you have done.
      I tried to approximate the length that the original was. Its about at the fattest part of the bag where it hits the ring. I plan on experimenting a little more with this. Ive got the quiet I wanted, now its time to maximize action and longevity. Im going to try a single strand of 5mm paracord, smooth the edge of the cup where the ball sits so it doesnt fray the cord, and also I plan to put a piece of steel or aluminum tubing in the loop of the bag to protect the bag loop from being cut into by the cord and see what effect it has on action.

From that point Ill experiment with different bags as finances allow until I find the best combo.

Ill try to get a video up in the near future so you can hear the beast in action. I can hardly walk by it without going over there and hitting the bag a bit. Its iresistable.

Thanks for your interest.
      Gary
      Last edited by garyspeed; 06-24-2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

I know what you mean- I can't go by my bag without giving it a rumble either. In fact there is a drum roll before and after nearly everything I do when i'm at home lol.

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

I like the old rope swivel I have...thanks again Ralph!
          The only thing is, tough to change out bags.
          I imagine it sounds like this:
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• m.breen
            • Jan 2017

Thanks for sharing. Come winter I will need something quiet to hit inside.

Comment

• m.breen
              • Jan 2017

I currently have a D Everlast swivel from wal-mart. I don't know the model # and don't know how to post pics. I also have a vintage Everlast ball and hook. I think it is from the mid 1970's. I just got one of those Everlast plastic, ball and hook, that came with a platform I bought off kijiji. My favorite is the D.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...