X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rskbreaker
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    that would be a feast for the hands! Great Job.
    Thank you!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
    My heart actually skipped a beat when I came to the pictures of this bag. (Okay, yeah, I'm a FREAKING speed bag addict! )

That shape! The leather! The quality look! I have 3 favorite bags: My small Fighting Sports bag (challenging, but rewarding), my gold 5x8 Title bag (it's durable and performs), and my BFF speed ball from Australia (durable, great rebound). Your new bag reminds me of my Aussie speed ball (Body First Fitness speed ball) that forum member Deano sent me. It is one of my all time favorite bags to punch. I've had it a few years now, and it's still holding up.

You did a FANTASTIC job on the bag, rskbreaker. It looks great. How's the rebound on it? Oh, and what kind of leather did you go with?
    Thank you, MsDeville!

To be honest I haven't hit the bag yet. I've been gym less since Dec. 2013. I made the bag to basically test the pattern and figure out the sequence for putting it together. I didn't think it would turn out has as decent as it did, so I didn't reinforce the leather for the chicago screws and strap or line the bag, so I'm not sure how it will hold up.

The main panels are a matte navy blueish 2 oz. cowhide and the piping is silver lambskin.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

I agree with everyone else, that is an impressive job!! I was wondering if you have tried or thought of using Goat skin? I collect vintage leather jackets and I know from handling them and reading many many reviews that Goat is more durable than cowhide and usually lighter in weight.

fedora

Comment

• rskbreaker
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by fedora View Post
        I agree with everyone else, that is an impressive job!! I was wondering if you have tried or thought of using Goat skin? I collect vintage leather jackets and I know from handling them and reading many many reviews that Goat is more durable than cowhide and usually lighter in weight.

fedora
        Thanks! I have thought about goat skin as an option, it's just not cost effective at the moment. If the time comes where I'm good enough to offer them for sale, it would definitely be an option.

I had the day off so I decided to work on the 6 panel pattern today.

Last edited by rskbreaker; 10-16-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

That looks snazzy. And this is the first time I've ever used the word snazzy.

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, great looking job!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              Wow, great looking job!
              Indeed!
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2013

very nice looking bag

Comment

• rskbreaker
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                  That looks snazzy. And this is the first time I've ever used the word snazzy.
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  Wow, great looking job!
                  Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Indeed!
                  Originally posted by rehamco1 View Post
                  very nice looking bag
                  I appreciate the kinds words. Thank you all!

Comment

• rskbreaker
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz

...Hey rskbreaker, I sent the bags out. You might get them on Saturday if not then Monday. The lining in the bags are nylon. Some bags have a better quality lining than others, Outta all my bags Cleto Reyes bags seem to have the best, the lining seems to be tighter and have a higher thread count. Keep in mind the speed bags need this lining in order to keep their shape and help with keeping the seams together. I also noticed it's a good idea to run the length of the nylon across the seams as you will notice once you turn the Leone bag inside out. I have a bag that the nylon is separating just like in the Leone bag but since they ran the nylon lining across the seams this bag has held together so far but lost some of it's shape because of the poor quality of the lining...ralph
                    Thanks, Ralph! I'm going to take note of the lining on the leone bag an get my hands on a high quality nylon lining. I'm going to wait till Tuesday to send your bags, that way I can throw in the bladders that will arrive on Monday from Title. That way you won't have to place an order for bladders.

Comment

• speedy G
                      • Oct 2014

thanks for the tip - I too lost a nip in a bag.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                        • Jan 2014

...Thanks Dan, I want to make a suggestion before you deconstruct the bags, and that is to hit on them so you can get the feel of the lightness and speed of the Leone bag, also get the feel of the solidness of the xs everlast yellow and black bumblebee bag. The variety of the bags makes it appealing to people like me, and keep in mind some people will like the lightness of the Leone and some people will like that very solid feel of the everlast bumblebee bag, The bladders are still in the bags but the everlast bladder fell though back inside the bag so just turn the bag inside out, put some Vaseline on the nipple of the bladder then finagle it back through the hole, This can be done because this happened to me on another Everlast bag and I just put vaseline on the nipple and worked its way back though the hole...ralph
                        Thanks for the tips.

The bags arrived today and they are perfect. I'm going to see if I swing by my old gym this weekend. I'll start on the patterns in the mean time.

I could tell right away the Everlast bag felt a little more solid, even though the Leone bag is bigger. I took a look at the Leone leather and it is very thin. Maybe too thin? Is that style Everlast bag sold as genuine leather? It feels more like a bonded leather. Either way it's beautifully constructed.

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

...I didn't know there was a thing called bonded leather, Either way if you could duplicate that bag in it's weight, Shape, Loop, But with a better quality leather that won't start cracking right when you first start hitting on it, Then you'll have a winner...ralph
                          Absolutely. That bag was perfect size, weight, and shape.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                            • Jan 2014

...I didn't know there was a thing called bonded leather, Either way if you could duplicate that bag in it's weight, Shape, Loop, But with a better quality leather that won't start cracking right when you first start hitting on it, Then you'll have a winner...ralph
                            Originally posted by paranday View Post
                            Absolutely. That bag was perfect size, weight, and shape.
                            Thanks for the feedback, guys. New bag should be ready soon.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                              • Jan 2014

Here's the first custom speed bag based off the everlasting pattern.

Last edited by rskbreaker; 11-10-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• speedy G
                                • Oct 2014

that looks awesome, but I'm no expert.

This is the perfect place (imho) to get the expert opinions on how to POSSIBLY create the next evolution speedbag! That sounds damn exciting and I love watching the development. You've already conquered new ground and I can't wait to buy a bag when you're ready.

Are you trying to just replicate the everlast, or improve upon it, and why so?

If and when you have time, could you describe briefly what you did and didn't do to make it similar or different from the everlast? maybe talk about the size, material, stitching, weight, rivet, etc., and the production process - what was easier and harder than you thought, future challenges and/or issues?

by looks alone - you are on to something, and I love that you're using and introducing a skill that you obviously have - to the speed bag world. So, congrats and thanks for that.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...