Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > History

Supporter Links & Advertisements

History Discuss all aspects of bag punching history here.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
As far as conditioning the leather, if it's as sound as it appears, definitely go with what ventanakaz recommends, he has a lot of experience when it comes to this. I acquired a Spalding bag from him that he conditioned, and the best way to describe it is magnificent.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Speed Bag Guru

rdshackleford is on a distinguished road
Dutchman, I think I am in luck! The MacGregor 'roo bag has held pressure for 2 days with very little loss.

My next step will be the ventanakaz mink oil paste and then let it rest for a few weeks. Heck, it has been in the box since '62. What is a few more weeks?

-Rusty
Old 12-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdshackleford View Post
Dutchman, I think I am in luck! The MacGregor 'roo bag has held pressure for 2 days with very little loss.

My next step will be the ventanakaz mink oil paste and then let it rest for a few weeks. Heck, it has been in the box since '62. What is a few more weeks?

-Rusty
...When I get a new or old new bag to me there's noway I could wait that long, My first step as always is to change out the bladder if needed and then treat the leather, I have to see how it hits and if it can hold up, Some of those old bags may look good from the outside but could be dried out in the leather it's self, So no matter how much you treat the bag it may Crack, But Kangaroo leather is very strong, I had a very old Higgins bag that I got off Ebay that looked brand new but it started cracking as soon as I started hitting on it
Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Do you ever treat the inside of the bag?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz and Dutchman,

After a week on the standby hook, this old bag lost its pressure just sitting there. I think my efforts to re-inflate made situation worse. The valve is being a real PITA and wanting to be open more than closed.

I did get mink oil and slathered the bag and it looks and feels pretty good. Is there an appropriate bladder swap for this weird long neck bag?

-Rusty
Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
The Title X/XL latex bladder will fill it out nicely. In the "old"days I would have used a TufWear #3 bladder but I haven't seen one of those in at least twenty years now. Also the Everlast bladder that fits the 4208 would work also. There is actually some of those floating around on eBay occasionally.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Quote:
Do you ever treat the inside of the bag?
I'm still curious if anyone ever treats the inside of a speed bag. Naturally, I mean a bad without a synthetic backing on the leather, just the raw side of the leather.

-Rusty
Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Never thought about doing it on the inside, only on the outside where the wear is
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm still curious if anyone ever treats the inside of a speed bag. Naturally, I mean a bad without a synthetic backing on the leather, just the raw side of the leather.

-Rusty
...If your talking about the inside of the bag, All bags have some sort of lining on the raw side of the bags, The really old bags have a high quality cloth type of lining
and others have a nylon type of lining, All the bags have to have a lining to keep their shape and from falling apart, Every bag that has lost it's shape or blew a seam was because of poor quality leather or poor quality lining, Or both (meaning the weave of the nylon lining was not woven tight or because of cheap threading) I have turned inside out many a bags to find out why some held up so well and others have failed.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Yeah, you are right about the inside, always lined. dumb question.

I finally got some new bladders in and am changing out the original. Take a look at this old beauty. Ever see one like it? Should be from around '62, no earlier. Also, by pure chance, Amazon sent me an Enkay 5 instead of the Enkay 6. I'm not complaining because it should fit this bag better.