• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longshot454
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2006

Reverse Fist Rolling is the hardest technique

I just want to say thanx for the great site with all the info, it has made me a better speedbagger already. I was just wondering how you hold your hands for the reverse rolls. i know that in a normal roll you hit with you handstraight but in the reverse i'm not sure if i should tuck in my thumb or just hit it off of the thumb. My problem is the bag will not rebound straight like in the normal roll. I have the speedbag bible on order and hope to get it this week, just want to get a head start. thanx
    mike
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Reverse Roll

Originally posted by longshot454
    I just want to say thanx for the great site with all the info, it has made me a better speedbagger already. I was just wondering how you hold your hands for the reverse rolls. i know that in a normal roll you hit with you handstraight but in the reverse i'm not sure if i should tuck in my thumb or just hit it off of the thumb. My problem is the bag will not rebound straight like in the normal roll. I have the speedbag bible on order and hope to get it this week, just want to get a head start. thanx
    mike
    Hi Longshot453. Welcome to the forum.

I bolded a statement in your quote above, because it is right on. The bag does NOT rebound straight in a Reverse Roll, I think because you can't really roll the fists over each other in this technique. The fists make more of a short chopping motion next to each other. I suggest most people start rolling over each other and then slightly separate them until the ends of the fist are right next to each other.
    You will see this in the section of the DVD video about Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll), and I also say that in the book. That makes each fists ( left and right) contact the bag at a slightly different area, altering the rebound.

Think about the anatomy of this. In a FRONT fist Roll (F-Roll), your elbows are up high and bent, your fists roll over each other easily in this position, and you can SEE the fists rolling, as well as the bag contact point. This is NOT so in the Reverse Roll. Your elbows have much less angle because your arms are extended. It is much harder to roll fists OVER each other with your arms extended. (try it sitting here, reading this. extend your fists out 6 or 7 inches from your face and try to roll them over each other back toward your nose.)
    and it's difficult, if not impossible to see the exact contact point of the fist on the bag. Throw in the fact that you have to lean back slightly to keep from hitting your nose with the bag....

That is why I say "Reverse Fist Rolling is the hardest technique". If nothing else, it is the most awkward.

Concerning the contact point on the hand, I find the bag hitting the large knuckles of my index finger and the hand area behind, and possibly the large thumb knuckle attached to the hand. Not the thumb knuckle tucked over the index finger. I also notice my wrists slightly bent when doing this.

Speed Bag Combinations Check out video clip #8

You might try starting by doing some Reverse Single Punches (RSP) with your dominant hand (three rebounds inbetween), then do a FIVE punch Revere Fist Roll (R-Roll), and go back to (RSP) with your dominant hand. I have exercises for this in chapter 5, page 35 of the book.
    * keep your other fist extend out and under the bag, ready to join in the Roll when it's time.

hope it helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• longshot454
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2006

thanks for the advice, can't wait for my book to show up. will spend a few hours practicing that tonight.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...