• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REB
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2017

Bladder ID

As you see in the pic, the bladder has an inflation tube. Anyone have any knowledge of this type bladder? I searched the forum but found not much. The bladder was in a bag I just got in. No maker name on the bladder
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Ah, this IS old school. This is the style of bladder that was used in most bags up until the late 1930's.( It was briefly replaced by the valve in the neck of the bag, but both were out of style after the Second World War.) You had to undo the laces on the bag to inflate it. As far as who made it, it could be from any of the makes that era. I have a Reach bag that is a top filler tube bag, minus the bladder (put a double end bag bladder in this, works real well). Spalding, Wilson, Goldsmith, Sonnet, Sears Montgomery Wards, all the major brands used this style. For the most part, it's difficult to determine who made the bladders as they tended to be unmarked. It's likely that most were made by the same couple of rubber product companies.

Comment

• REB
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Ah, this IS old school. This is the style of bladder that was used in most bags up until the late 1930's.( It was briefly replaced by the valve in the neck of the bag, but both were out of style after the Second World War.) You had to undo the laces on the bag to inflate it. As far as who made it, it could be from any of the makes that era. I have a Reach bag that is a top filler tube bag, minus the bladder (put a double end bag bladder in this, works real well). Spalding, Wilson, Goldsmith, Sonnet, Sears Montgomery Wards, all the major brands used this style. For the most part, it's difficult to determine who made the bladders as they tended to be unmarked. It's likely that most were made by the same couple of rubber product companies.
      Thanks Dutchman!... I thought it may be back in that time period (unsure). The bag has no bottom valve hole or top valve hole. I like the way you narrowed it down further to the decade than what I thought (1940).The bladder is very smooth and supple..slick even. Color of the bladder I would have to say would be a light mocha. Huge bladder. The bag is 16 inches from the top edge of the neck. 17.5 with the loop. The diameter is at least 15 inches. No name on the bag. But it is a sandy camel color. Could be one of those you named in your post.....

Edit.... I have now been able to find some letters on it.. _ _ _ ATHON 5421
      Last edited by REB; 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I'd say you have a Marathon bag there. Not found too often these days although not unheard of. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mara...-/252769856587

Comment

• REB
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2017

I'd say you have a Marathon bag there. Not found too often these days although not unheard of. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mara...-/252769856587
          Dutchman, take another look at the zoom of this bag. It looks to me to be a Montgomery /Wards bag. The M over the W sporting goods. So Marathon was also a name for M/W bags? Go to the pic you linked to and put your cursor on the 4th pic from the left...you will see the Montgomery/Ward stamp
          Last edited by REB; 08-21-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

It was the brand name that Wards used for their sporting goods line at one time. Sears used the J.C. Higgins name for their line, from about 1908 unitl 1962. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._C._Higgins

Comment

• REB
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2017

It was the brand name that Wards used for their sporting goods line at one time. Sears used the J.C. Higgins name for their line, from about 1908 unitl 1962. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._C._Higgins
              It sure is good to have you on the Forum Dutchman....Good to have ya
              Last edited by REB; 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I have one like that but it's stuffed solid with sand or beans. kind of like a "heavy" speed bag.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• REB
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I have one like that but it's stuffed solid with sand or beans. kind of like a "heavy" speed bag.
                  That's cool. I have a couple of heavy speed bags too like that. But this Marathon bag Dutchman ID'd, now has a Cleto Reyes bladder in it and I beat on it like the Police do on a drug dealer's door Bag is still useable and sturdy. From the story I got it belong to an old guy (in his 90s) in Dellwood Mn. It was purchased from his estate sale.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by REB; 08-31-2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

sweet vintage bag!
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                      sweet vintage bag!

Thanks Rusty. I have collected a few vintage bags over the summer

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...