Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Heavy Bag and Double End Bag

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Heavy Bag and Double End Bag The "other" bags - heavy bag, double end bag, and any other non-speed bag boxing or martial arts equipment discussion.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

gash07 is on a distinguished road
Hanging a heavy bag restricted by low ceiling

Hi all this is my first post here and I'd like to say what a great forum it is. I am an amateur boxer and I'm trying to install a heavy bag (50kg/110lbs) in my home, I have a converted loft space which would be Ideal work out territory but for one thing, ceiling height is a mere 6' 6". This presents a few problems in that all bag stands are out of the question as they are simply too high, and if I fixed a ceiling hook at this height the bag would hang far too low. So my question is this, if i reduced the chains on my bag to a minimum is it possible to then hang this from a speed bag swivel mounted directly to the ceiling, as I'm not sure how the bag would react when being hit or how the swivel would react to a heavy bag being pounded beneath it I thought I'd ask some seasoned campaigners.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
i wud use a normal heavy bag mount as speed bag swivels are not designed to hold up that much weight...and i also had to cut some chain links out of my bag. me being 6'1" i found almost all bags hang to low for me and i havent had any problems. if u have any more questions id be happy to answer but u shud be fine cutting some links and putting a heavybag hanger directing to the ceiling studs.
________
Glass pipe pictures

Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloYello View Post
*This is a picture of my "first release", the one I use now eliminates the S-hooks allowing the top of the bag to be directly in contact with the bottom of the hanger
Pretty cool idea!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Speed Bag Guru

metaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond reputemetaldad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The chain assembly not only takes up ~2' of space, it also "bunches" up the bag at the top. The shorter you make the chain, the more it squeezes the D rings towards the center of the bag so while you may have shortened the chain itself, the "usable" portion of the bag has been reduced.

This is a picture of my homegrown assembly. If you'll notice, the only distance between the top of the bag and the mounting hook is a 6-7" spring* AND the D rings are straight up facilitating usability of the entire bag.

One thing I want to caution you on is getting a bag that uses sand either in the core or as part of the filler. Sand eventually settles (the core eventually breaks) rendering the top portion of the bag too soft and the bottom too hard.
None of the manufacturers have acted on my suggestion of providing a hanging assembly on both the top and bottom of the bag so that you can "flip your bag" much like you'd flip a mattress. That would be the easy solution.
Unfortunately the bags that don't use sand (i.e. don't "settle") are $600 on up, ouch!

*This is a picture of my "first release", the one I use now eliminates the S-hooks allowing the top of the bag to be directly in contact with the bottom of the hanger
Get the patents man!! Great ideas!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
The chain assembly not only takes up ~2' of space, it also "bunches" up the bag at the top. The shorter you make the chain, the more it squeezes the D rings towards the center of the bag so while you may have shortened the chain itself, the "usable" portion of the bag has been reduced.

This is a picture of my homegrown assembly. If you'll notice, the only distance between the top of the bag and the mounting hook is a 6-7" spring* AND the D rings are straight up facilitating usability of the entire bag.

One thing I want to caution you on is getting a bag that uses sand either in the core or as part of the filler. Sand eventually settles (the core eventually breaks) rendering the top portion of the bag too soft and the bottom too hard.
None of the manufacturers have acted on my suggestion of providing a hanging assembly on both the top and bottom of the bag so that you can "flip your bag" much like you'd flip a mattress. That would be the easy solution.
Unfortunately the bags that don't use sand (i.e. don't "settle") are $600 on up, ouch!

now THAT is American Ingenuity at it's finest. I've been asked hundreds of times how to hand a heavy bag in all kinds of settings and I have never ever thought of ( or seen ) anything as function or adaptable as that. Very unique!, and I would say get a patent and call the boxing companies.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. IX! Summer 2018

The Art of the Bag
Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

badseed is on a distinguished road
melloyello, that setup is amazing and far better than my numerous attempts at reducing the hang length.

Could you provide any other pics or a parts list? I really want to replicate that for my bag.

hope you dont mind!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

badseed is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

17Driver is on a distinguished road
I can't see MelloYello's picture??

Can someone repost the picture or send it to me?

Email
Old 12-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Driver View Post
Can someone repost the picture or send it to me?

Email
I don't know, unless someone save them as individual pics. MelloYello unfriended us a while ago and all his pics and links disappeared.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. IX! Summer 2018

The Art of the Bag