Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Heavy Bag and Double End Bag

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Heavy Bag and Double End Bag The "other" bags - heavy bag, double end bag, and any other non-speed bag boxing or martial arts equipment discussion.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 PM

hispanicmakingpanic is on a distinguished road
Heavybag routines

Well I've been schooled on everything speedbag so far, does anyone have any heavy bag routines I can steal? I try to use the movement of the bag to set up dips and combos, that's why it's a bit high (like my platform). Please be kind with your comments, I'm nowhere near fighting shape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5HZ89sSrs
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
greats tips from this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugicR8LsPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3U2...elated&search=
________
Side effects of paxil

Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

ronaldo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
Well I've been schooled on everything speedbag so far, does anyone have any heavy bag routines I can steal? I try to use the movement of the bag to set up dips and combos, that's why it's a bit high (like my platform). Please be kind with your comments, I'm nowhere near fighting shape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5HZ89sSrs
Que paso! Hey I really like your setup and that bag looks really nice to hit. I have my heavy bag much lower and my wrists are starting to hurt so i will put it higher, I like the bag movement. good technique, the only thing i can criticise is your guard, keep your hands up more often bro
I love hitting my heavybag bag viciously with hard hits, my wrists are starting to hurt though. And I donīt know how bad for the wrist this is, Im gonna workout on the bag just once a week because of this. It sucks
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
What I do on my heavy bag is set up my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 30 second rest.

I start off hitting very lightly for the first two or three rounds, not hitting really hard at all, really just making light contact with the bag to warm up. During the rest period, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. After about the third round, I'm doing combinations and hitting hard with the following:

jab, cross, left hook
jab, cross, left low hook, left high hook
jab, cross 3 times fast
cross, left hook, cross
3 jabs, left high hook, right high hook.
2 jabs, cross, left hook low, cross, left uppercut.
left low hook, right high hook, left high hook, right low hook
etc.

I'll do these for three minute rounds for 45 minutes to an hour continuing with the pushups and crunches during the rest.

The last two or three rounds I'll do constant jab/cross as fast as possible trying to stay on the balls of my feet during the entire time. (this will really burn your glutes and back)

It's very tiring and a great workout! If I get really tired I'll go to the speedbag or double end bag during my 30 second rest period.

This workout will kick your butt if you do it at least 45 minutes or so.

ps, regarding the wrists, I'm assuming you've got some good wraps and gloves, right?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Heavybag

Hola Rolando buenos dias a usted y a todos los atletas de el speedbag forum. Thank you for the comments! I realize that I have my guard too low, this has been an issue for me since my amateur days. I tend to be a little too offensive in my technique as well. I will try to post a new vid where I will try and be more technical and defensive minded.
Chris I want to thank you for your regiment on the heavybag. I gotta say this sounds challenging and fun. If this is your regular workout then you my friend are probably a beast.

P.S. Rolando si usted necesita handwraps para sus manos deme su direcciony yo se las mandare. Tengo suficientes y no son muy caras.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Speed Bag Guru

jaguiler is on a distinguished road
very nice !! looks good - good style and form.... not that I would know much, but it does look good. I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley, especially with those black teeth.

has the bag hit you from behind yet when you dip under it ? is that why the walls are padded ?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Speed Bag Guru

SupergeZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to SupergeZ
reckon you could put together a video of your heavybag routine Chris? sounds a pretty good workout
Old 05-24-2007, 05:10 PM

Roscoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergeZ View Post
reckon you could put together a video of your heavybag routine Chris? sounds a pretty good workout
I second that.

Roscoe
Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Heavybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguiler View Post
very nice !! looks good - good style and form.... not that I would know much, but it does look good. I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley, especially with those black teeth.

has the bag hit you from behind yet when you dip under it ? is that why the walls are padded ?
Yes actually I have come up from a dip and hit my head on the bag before. That is not why it's padded in my gym however. The reason for the padding was for grappling, A few months ago I was going to enter a local cage fighting event and I was training with some top level El Reno wrestlers to get ready. I ended up having an altercation unrelated to the event or my training where I damaged my knuckle and had to drop out. I still practice submissions when I have the time. Thanks for the comments!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
What I do on my heavy bag is set up my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 30 second rest.

I start off hitting very lightly for the first two or three rounds, not hitting really hard at all, really just making light contact with the bag to warm up. During the rest period, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. After about the third round, I'm doing combinations and hitting hard with the following:

jab, cross, left hook
jab, cross, left low hook, left high hook
jab, cross 3 times fast
cross, left hook, cross
3 jabs, left high hook, right high hook.
2 jabs, cross, left hook low, cross, left uppercut.
left low hook, right high hook, left high hook, right low hook
etc.

I'll do these for three minute rounds for 45 minutes to an hour continuing with the pushups and crunches during the rest.

The last two or three rounds I'll do constant jab/cross as fast as possible trying to stay on the balls of my feet during the entire time. (this will really burn your glutes and back)

It's very tiring and a great workout! If I get really tired I'll go to the speedbag or double end bag during my 30 second rest period.

This workout will kick your butt if you do it at least 45 minutes or so.

ps, regarding the wrists, I'm assuming you've got some good wraps and gloves, right?

YOU are beast. Hope I'm in your corner during a fight. This workout is flaming.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
*attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
The Quest Continues...
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. IX! Summer 2018

The Art of the Bag