• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Problem solved: hybrid swivel

A while back I posted about the instability of the title lighting fast swivel. The rotating piece that holds the bolt and u-bar is loosely connected to the base of the swivel. Still worked well, but not as well as it could if it were stable. Well, I took the u-bar and bolt from the title lighting swivel and put in on the Everlast cotter pin swivel. Perfect fit! The Everlast swivel is much more stable. I did sacrifice some length, though. The hybrid swivel is about a half inch longer (maybe less) than what the lighting swivel was.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	927.6 KB
ID:	94553

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by riqal; 06-05-2018, 07:10 AM.
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Glad it worked out. I still want to know if what happened to your swivel is the exception, or more common.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• REB
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2017

I have two of these swivels. I believe I got them in Feb/March....
      I use 14" and 16" bags on these swivels for 80% of my bag work. They have held up fine so far..... (knock on wood)

Comment

• riqal
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2006

Problem solved: hybrid swivel

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
        Glad it worked out. I still want to know if what happened to your swivel is the exception, or more common.

I don’t know, but I am not going to order another one in order to find out. My guess is that it is. I’ve ordered and returned numerous ringside swivels from Walmart.com just to compare them. For example, I’ve probably ordered a dozen super swivels, and they are pretty much all the same. So I’m guessing the title swivels are all the same. But you could order it just for the u-bar and put it on the Everlast swivel. Might be worth it to have a shorter u-bar.

Comment

• riqal
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by REB View Post

I use 14" and 16" bags on these swivels for 80% of my bag work. They have held up fine so far..... (knock on wood)

Specifically, on your swivels, is there any wiggle between the base of the swivel and the rotating piece that is connected into the base ? Just so other members can make an informed decision before buying the swivel. My lighting fast swivel works well with the fatter bags that have a short, stiff loop. The wiggle is almost unnoticeable. However, with my longer, leaner bags, the wiggle is very noticeable.

Comment

• REB
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by riqal View Post
            Specifically, on your swivels, is there any wiggle between the base of the swivel and the rotating piece that is connected into the base ? Just so other members can make an informed decision before buying the swivel. My lighting fast swivel works well with the fatter bags that have a short, stiff loop. The wiggle is almost unnoticeable. However, with my longer, leaner bags, the wiggle is very noticeable.

I believe the design of the swivel is sized so that the barrel/shaft that holds the U bolt are seated in a minut oversized bore in the base. The barrel, with shaft, is attached with a bolt. The bolt can not be tightened down any more than it is. This small overbore allows the barrel/shaft to rotate. If you want the barrel / shaft to not move, then soldering or JB Weld the bolt head where it enters the shaft would be called for.
            BTW, I am satisfied with the way the swivels are. A slight wiggle, to me, is no issue. Every swivel I have ever tried had at least one annoying nuance to them. What can you expect from low grade hardware?.
            Last edited by REB; 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Where in gods name did you get a 16" bag and can you post a picture???

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2017

Here is a pic of a 16 Spalding against Big Blue. I have 2 more but they are being used for different training work. I think this bag has shrunk a little too

Notice I shorted the hanging loop on Blue
                Attached Files
                Last edited by REB; 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

That Spalding rivals my Rawlings Reaper in girth and I'm sure weight too. And it has a very nice color. Definitely a bag of which to be proud!

-Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                    That Spalding rivals my Rawlings Reaper in girth and I'm sure weight too. And it has a very nice color. Definitely a bag of which to be proud!

-Rusty
                    Thanks...It is heavy, Your mind knows you are hitting something substantial. I have a few other Big Boys that will also test the hands to their extreme.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Here is a pic of a 16 Spalding against Big Blue. I have 2 more but they are being used for different training work. I think this bag has shrunk a little too

Notice I shorted the hanging loop on Blue
                      That's an awesome looking bag... haven't seen one of them in a long time.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• REB
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        That's an awesome looking bag... haven't seen one of them in a long time.
                        Thank you...Actually my sister found it in New Hampshire. She goes to these "upscale" estate sales . I asked her over a year ago to be on the lookout for speedbags, and what I was looking for etc. She came up with this one....She has a decent knowledge about sports items from growing up with me.

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

I have a Spalding 5213, and it dwarfs my Title Big Blue, although it in turn is smaller than the A.J. Reach 3 1/2

Comment

• REB
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            I have a Spalding 5213, and it dwarfs my Title Big Blue, although it in turn is smaller than the A.J. Reach 3 1/2
                            Good stuff right there... I have a Reach P200. Real good condition. It is about an 8 x 12. I like the heavy threaded double stitch seams on it. With leather welts

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

The Reach 3 1/2 is about a 10 x14. Originally had bladder with an inflation tube that was tucked under the laces. Long gone when I got it. I'm using a standard Title double end bladder, it fills it out very nicely.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...