• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milleniumaire
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2016

Newby

Hi,

Just joined speedbagforum having received and installed my new speedball platform over the weekend.

I live in West Yorkshire in England and got into using a speedball at my local Council Leisure Centre about 5 years ago. Shortly after it was installed, the council "refurbished" the leisure centre, which in my mind, meant removing all the good kit and installing lots of machines. Unfortunately, the speedball was one of the items to be removed and I haven't used one for years now.

A couple of months ago, the idea of installing my own jumped into my head (no idea why), so I started looking around for a decent platform. I wanted something that was height adjustable as I have a 15 year old son still at home and he's taller than me, plus my wife expressed an interest, and she's shorter!

I soon realised that good quality, solid, adjustable platforms are hard to come by in the UK - the USA seems to have a monopoly on this product.

Anyway, eventually found a Rebook adjustable platform on Amazon.co.uk. It wasn't cheap at around £290, but this was a lot less than the £460 being charged for the same platform by other companies!!!!

Installed it in my garage at the weekend along with a Lonsdale Pro 6 x 9 speed bag. Just ordered a Lonsdale Pro 7 x 10 as my son is finding the small Lonsdale a little difficult to learn with. I confess, I would also like to try a larger bag also as the small Lonsdale does feel very small

The platform is so solid, it is awesome, although I'm not so sure about the link swivel that came with it. Even after oiling, it seems very loud and not as smooth as I was expecting.

Anyway, I'll take some pics and load them onto the site as I would really appreciate the advice of you guys on the kit I have got, and if there's anything I can do to improve it.

Obviously, I now need to get into a regular training routine so I can hopefully learn some new techniques, and this site looks great for this.

Paul aka milleniumaire
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by milleniumaire View Post
    Hi,

Just joined speedbagforum having received and installed my new speedball platform over the weekend.

I live in West Yorkshire in England and got into using a speedball at my local Council Leisure Centre about 5 years ago. Shortly after it was installed, the council "refurbished" the leisure centre, which in my mind, meant removing all the good kit and installing lots of machines. Unfortunately, the speedball was one of the items to be removed and I haven't used one for years now.

A couple of months ago, the idea of installing my own jumped into my head (no idea why), so I started looking around for a decent platform. I wanted something that was height adjustable as I have a 15 year old son still at home and he's taller than me, plus my wife expressed an interest, and she's shorter!

I soon realised that good quality, solid, adjustable platforms are hard to come by in the UK - the USA seems to have a monopoly on this product.

Anyway, eventually found a Rebook adjustable platform on Amazon.co.uk. It wasn't cheap at around £290, but this was a lot less than the £460 being charged for the same platform by other companies!!!!

Installed it in my garage at the weekend along with a Lonsdale Pro 6 x 9 speed bag. Just ordered a Lonsdale Pro 7 x 10 as my son is finding the small Lonsdale a little difficult to learn with. I confess, I would also like to try a larger bag also as the small Lonsdale does feel very small

The platform is so solid, it is awesome, although I'm not so sure about the link swivel that came with it. Even after oiling, it seems very loud and not as smooth as I was expecting.

Anyway, I'll take some pics and load them onto the site as I would really appreciate the advice of you guys on the kit I have got, and if there's anything I can do to improve it.

Obviously, I now need to get into a regular training routine so I can hopefully learn some new techniques, and this site looks great for this.

Paul aka milleniumaire
    Welcome to the forum Paul aka milleniumaire. We have a good many members in UK, and some I think are pretty close to you so you should be able to hook up with one of them. Problem is forum members go on walk about for a while. Initially they are real active for a while and then ..not so much. If they don't post it is hard to tell what is going on with them. I see many do log in occasionally, but probably just read. However, IF you post some contact information asking for those near you to send you a PM (personal message) via the forum, you might get some reply. I hope so.

I can also tell you there are a bunch of other baggers (or speed ballers on your side) that live in UK that are NOT forum members, since I've been sending books and dvd's to folks over there long before this forum was created. Unfortunately I do not have person permission to send out peoples personal contact information. (but trust me, you are not alone under the board in West Yorkshire). Some of our UK members have echoed your sentiments about equipment. For the record, it may be easier to raise a short bagger "up" on a platform then struggle with some wall version the is difficult to adjust up and down. I suggest adjusting a solid unit in the "UP" position so your normal bag size is set correctly for the tallest person, and then the shorter folks can stand on something solid to get adjusted to the bag.

You can get by with a smaller bag if need be, (buying bags gets expensive..) by letting a bit of the air out of it. Not so much that the leather creases or folds, but just enough that it feels soft, gives to your hand, and punches a bit flat. Deflating the bag makes it slower, so a smaller faster bag will act like a larger slower bag. Then as your skill and control improves, you can increase the internal bag pressure One or two pumps at a time and letting it go a bit faster. As you gain control on a small but soft bag, I caution against trying to go faster by punching a lot harder, or slamming the bag. Slamming a soft bag does not train you to punch faster, only harder and the extra force usually takes a larger swing motion, which will hurt you on a truly faster bag. So, as your control improves I suggest you make the bag a bit faster by inflation instead of punching harder. This will help keep your swinging motion smaller, circling from the elbow, not blasting from the shoulder.

Again welcome and I hope we can help you and your family have more fun and start mastering the speed bag together!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Stupot
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2017

Hi,

Paul aka milleniumaire
      . Hi there I'm in gainsborough Lincolnshire!! Been hitting the bag on and off for 3 years but realy starting to get into it again!! Where are you from??

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...