• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marsalone
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Everlast Duo Stand Beef Up and Carabiner vs S Hook Plastic Swivel

Hi Everybody,

I've got a couple of questions for the speedbag collective.

1) Everlast Duo Heavy/Speedbag stand. Just got one and am digging it but wanted to know any tips to tame vibrations on the speed bag platform. I've gone through some old threads but didn't come up with much other than you're stuck with the shakes on this thing. I saw that one guy beefed up his drum by sandwiching it between two pieces of plywood. The guy posted a photo but didn't really say whether it helped or not.

Analyzing the situation it looks like the vibes are coming partly from the thin mdf drum and the long load path to the ground, plus that platform post connection.

I was thinking of beefing up the drum by adding two or three pieces of plywood on top gluing and screwing them together to rigidify the drum. Also once I figured out where I wanted to permanently locate the stand in my garage, I'd fasten it to the floor with some drop in anchors giving me a more solid connection than the salt bags that I'm using and a lot less expensive than weights.

I realize that it is never going to be as rock solid as a wall mounted platform but I would like to improve what I have to it's max potential. Have there been any developments other than strapping the platform down with luggage straps?

2) Swivels. Is there any difference in action between the Everlast plastic swivels with the S-Hook and the Carabiner? My stand came with the Carabiner version and after lubing it up, it works really well. Better than expected. I like it a lot better than the Everlast Chainlink model that I use at the gym. Also how do the plastic models compare to the old Everlast S-Hook metal swivels? I am talking about the cheap ones, similar to Title's Classic S-Hook swivel. About twenty years ago I had one at my parent's house that I used for years as a teenager and I really dug it. But now I am just getting back into hitting the bags and the plastic actually seems okay.

Overall I really like the Everlast stand. I wasn't expecting much from the speedbag half of the unit but even though it shakes more than Katharine Hepburn after a quadruple espresso and a bag of Skittles, I am able to get good speed out of it and I really like it. Right now I am only hitting straight on with the standard boxing type workout. I came here to get some of Alan's techniques so I can mix things up a bit and I'm sure that with strikes perpendicular to the support arm, the platform will be even more out of control.

Peace,
    D
  • southtexaskevin
    • Jan 2012

if im the guy your talking about sandwhiching the "drum", than yes, the difference was night and day, i suppose i could post a before and after video. but there is still some play in the stand, it seems to me the "arm" that holds the heavy bag/speed bag tends to move. i put a sand bag on top and brace the single support arm, between the round arm that holds the heavy bag and the square arm that holds the speed bag, with a piece of plywood. it stops alot if the front and back movement' but it still sways. the reason i sandwhiched the black pressed wood was because it wasnt in the best shape, i bought mine off craigslist.

i have thought of a few ideas to brace the platform and help stop the side to side sway, but didnt like any,and the sway isnt enough to cause me problems... im sure it does, but im still pretty new at this and it doesnt bother me. i would suggest reinforcing yours, it made a huge difference for me, if you have questions on how i did it, or tips let me know

Comment

• marsalone
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

Hi SthTxKevin,

Yeah, you were the guy that I was referring to, I read your post about it but didn't see a followup so didn't know whether of not it was worth it.

My drum is okay since it is new and with a 40 lb bag of salt on it it works out pretty good for me hitting it straight on, but I'd like to make it better. To reduce front to back vibrations of the post I was thinking of drilling another hole through the stand and the speedbag post higher up so that the post would be connected twice. Plus it may help reduce side sway a tiny bit. Maybe this is similar to how you braced yours.

How did you put yours together? I've read that Home Depot has 24" diameter plywood and that would be nice and easy, but looking around in my Home Depot I couldn't find it. The other thought is to get some of that 3/4" hardwood plywood and buy a cheap jigsaw. Did you glue the boards together and clamp them? I'd like to hear some of your tips.

Thanks,

Comment

• southtexaskevin
        • Jan 2012

I put up a video, not a before and after, but it shows it after the mods. I'm nit sure if you can tell how I have the wood between the two supports because it was getting dark, but I just stuff a piece between the two, but drilling another hole higher up seems like a good idea, but I might question the gap between the two.

I had an extra 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood so i cut two pieces about 25x25". Then I took the stock piece and set it where there was wood outside. Drilled the swivel holes and bolted the pieces together, cut them with a sawzall (very slowly haha) then drilled all the holes, I also added 2 pieces of angle perpendicular to the single support across the top, one butted up to the end of the support arm, and one I had to cut a piece out. After drilling all holes, I took it apart and glued all three pieces together and bolted them back together and ran some screws around the edge because I didn't have clamps and there was some separation in some parts....

I have seen 24x24" pieces of wood, ply and hard, its just up to you what you want. What I have works good for me, but I'm still pretty new to this, and haven't hit anything else so I cant compare. When I get home tonight I will take some pics or a video showing some close up. Hope you got something that will help you out.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
          • Jan 2012

Mine is probably around 1 1/2"

Comment

• marsalone
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

Hi Kevin,

It's good to hear that beefing up the drum made a night and day difference. I finally bolted down my Everlast stand and it is rock solid on the heavybag side. Now with the stand bolted down tight I can see that the speedbag arm is nice and tight laterally and logitudinally but there is a lot of play in the post with respect to rotation.

I shimmed it up with some thin card board and it got a lot better so I will try to do something a little more permanent.

As for the drum, I think I might take a page out of Ms. Deville's book and cast a concrete drum. Concrete is about 3 - 3.5 times denser than wood. Plywood is around 40 pounds per cubic foot and concrete is around 135 pounds per cubic foot. With that said, a 2.5" thick, 24" diameter drum will weigh around 88 pounds and a 3" thickness will get you a 106 pound drum. That is a lot of mass for the bag to rebound against.

60 lb. bags of ready mix concrete from Home Depot runs about $3.00 each and two bags will give you enough concrete to make a 3.5" thick drum, a single 80 lb bag will give you a 2.25" thick drum for about $4.

I am thinking about making a 2.75" to 3" thick drum. The concrete is a lot cheaper than going with wood and will be a lot more massive. Now I just need to find or make a 24" diameter form.

I'll let you know how it works and will post some pics and updates. I will try to reinforce it a bit. I don't want this thing cracking down the center and falling on my toes...

Comment

• southtexaskevin
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by marsalone View Post
              I shimmed it up with some thin card board
              are ypu talking between the support arm and "drum".... or the support arm and the stand... im not sure the exact terms

most of my movement comes from the whole stand rocking, and the "drum" and support arm rocking left to right, bolting it down should take care of the movement from the whole stand as a solid piece, im not sure if my apt would be happy if i got out the ol hammer drill and anchored mine down haha, tje side to side movement seems to be unavoidable, for me atleast, unless i use straps, or went ahead and made the triangu;ar bracket i was thinking about, i just couldnt come up with a solid solution to mounting it to the arm that holds the heavy bag. what i was going to do was use square tubing to make a triangle from that arm to the drum, but my ideas would cause the speedbag part of the stand where i wouldnt beable to remove it or adjust the height, so i gave up on it, and the little movement doesnt bother me at my skill level

im just glad im not the only one who uses a freestanding platform, i made a wall mounted unit out of a stackable washer dryer stand, but wont hang it, my neighbors get enough noise already and dont think i could bag without a place to live haha

that cement idea sounds solid, i would, if it were me making one, use some sort of wire mesh to reinforce it.... save those toes haha

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

...As for the drum, I think I might take a page out of Ms. Deville's book and cast a concrete drum. Concrete is about 3 - 3.5 times denser than wood. Plywood is around 40 pounds per cubic foot and concrete is around 135 pounds per cubic foot. With that said, a 2.5" thick, 24" diameter drum will weigh around 88 pounds and a 3" thickness will get you a 106 pound drum. That is a lot of mass for the bag to rebound against.

60 lb. bags of ready mix concrete from Home Depot runs about $3.00 each and two bags will give you enough concrete to make a 3.5" thick drum, a single 80 lb bag will give you a 2.25" thick drum for about $4.

I am thinking about making a 2.75" to 3" thick drum. The concrete is a lot cheaper than going with wood and will be a lot more massive. Now I just need to find or make a 24" diameter form.

I'll let you know how it works and will post some pics and updates. I will try to reinforce it a bit. I don't want this thing cracking down the center and falling on my toes...
                Hi Marsalone. My concrete drum is 28" in diameter. Trainer Raul used a water heater pan from Home Depot for his form. And the great thing is that they come in different diameters.

Attached Files
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• marsalone
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2012

Awesome two great ideas from you guys.

SouthTexKev, Yeah after I bolted it down I notice that the platform move left to right due to the play in the rotation where the vertical platform post mounts. That is where I tried shimming it up. Your triangular brace sounds like a great idea to stabilize the post and I will definitely put one on. Seems easy to do with some angles and bolts.

Ms D, thanks so much for the tip about using the water heater pan for a form. With the stand it looks like at max a 25" drum would fit with a flat top. If I chamfered the top edge a bit where the arm starts to curve I can probably make a 27" or 28" diameter drum. I'll see what I can find. One question, how did you reinforce the concrete? I see that Quikcrete has a high strength 5000psi that I think has polyester fibers but that is more to control temperature and shrinkage cracking and provide some impact resistance.

This forum is great. I'm also glad that I am not the only one with a stand. When I was a teenager and boxed, I made a plywood platform and put it in my parents garage. That wall would always shake like crazy when I'd get going. If I had that much vibration in my house now, the plaster would crack and my wife would crack my skull with the frying pan. So that is why I compromised with the stand.

Hopefully I can get the drum together this weekend before I get The Speedbag Bible in the mail.

Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Awesome two great ideas from you guys.

SouthTexKev, Yeah after I bolted it down I notice that the platform move left to right due to the play in the rotation where the vertical platform post mounts. That is where I tried shimming it up. Your triangular brace sounds like a great idea to stabilize the post and I will definitely put one on. Seems easy to do with some angles and bolts.

Ms D, thanks so much for the tip about using the water heater pan for a form. With the stand it looks like at max a 25" drum would fit with a flat top. If I chamfered the top edge a bit where the arm starts to curve I can probably make a 27" or 28" diameter drum. I'll see what I can find. One question, how did you reinforce the concrete? I see that Quikcrete has a high strength 5000psi that I think has polyester fibers but that is more to control temperature and shrinkage cracking and provide some impact resistance.

This forum is great. I'm also glad that I am not the only one with a stand. When I was a teenager and boxed, I made a plywood platform and put it in my parents garage. That wall would always shake like crazy when I'd get going. If I had that much vibration in my house now, the plaster would crack and my wife would crack my skull with the frying pan. So that is why I compromised with the stand.

Hopefully I can get the drum together this weekend before I get The Speedbag Bible in the mail.
                    Thanks
                    I mailed it yesterday to you.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• marsalone
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2012

Wow Speedbag that was fast, I just received the book and video last night, the day after your post. Thank you so much. I can't wait to get started.

But where to start? Do I work on the concrete drum? Watch the video? Read the book? Or start installing the Saltillo tile that arrived last week? My wife's been on me since I tore out all the carpet before Halloween. We've been living on bare concrete and she ain't too happy. Remember she's the one with the frying pan but fortunately she uses light weight Calphalon pans not my cast iron Lodge so maybe it won't hurt too much it I practice speedbag all weekend instead of working on the home improvements...

Also, I plan to take a lot of photos of the concrete drum build and will also shoot some video of me punching to compare the vibes from the standard issue particle board drum, the standard drum with a bag of sand, and the new concrete drum. Bear in mind that I am just going to be hitting the bag normally, I just received Alan's book so probably won't have any Jedi bag skills by the time this goes down.

Peace,
                      D.

Comment

• marsalone
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2012

Just wanted to give a short update on speed bag platform stability with the Everlast stand.

Since bolting it to the floor last week, I took off the 40 lb bag of salt off the top of the speed bag platform as I was going to return the salt back to the store. Well the platform shook like mad but I put up with it for a week.

Then last night it became annoying, so I decided to try using two 40 lb bags of salt on the platform... ...Nirvana. The platform is so stable and solid that it ain't even funny. This thing is awesome. So now I am even more motivated to build my 95 lb concrete drum.

Unfortunately when I started hitting the heavy bag, one bag of salt came crashing down onto the garage floor. I then started to look at the speedbag platform while punching the heavy bag and noticed that it was flailing about like a flag in a hurricane. Will definitely have to take that into consideration in building the concrete drum.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                          • Jan 2012

It gets annoying sometimes, but i take the platform off of mine when i hit the heavy bag......although it might be tough once you get the concrete drum up....

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...