• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Getting "Bag" Into The Groove

Two vids for the price of one. Actually, one long vid snippped into two parts. Hope you all watch and like

Last edited by metaldad; 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM. Reason: embedding
    sigpic
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

I'd love to watch but every time I click it to play its says "this video is private"

fedora

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

fixed it
      sigpic

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how you do that under the elbow punch. It happens too quick for me to see how you do it. It looks like you start to do an outside elbow, but then do a quick punch underneath the elbow? Then do you immediately follow through with the outside elbow? It looks pretty sweet however you do it.

fedora

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fedora View Post
          Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how you do that under the elbow punch. It happens too quick for me to see how you do it. It looks like you start to do an outside elbow, but then do a quick punch underneath the elbow? Then do you immediately follow through with the outside elbow? It looks pretty sweet however you do it.

fedora
          I think you're referring to phantom punch. It goes under an outside elbow. If you can do an inside elbow and just before you bring the same arm back for an OES, sneak a quick FSP in. It seems pretty tricky at first but after some practice, it gets pretty much dialed in. Check out ebozyn's videos. He's an absolute master at it. I'm still trying to get it nice and smooth, i.e. keeping my elbows up and not use my shoulders so much. I saw Punchdrummer do a five hit combo which utilizes the phantom punch. I waz trying to emulate that as well. Thanks for watching
          sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            I think you're referring to phantom punch. It goes under an outside elbow. If you can do an inside elbow and just before you bring the same arm back for an OES, sneak a quick FSP in. It seems pretty tricky at first but after some practice, it gets pretty much dialed in. Check out ebozyn's videos. He's an absolute master at it. I'm still trying to get it nice and smooth, i.e. keeping my elbows up and not use my shoulders so much. I saw Punchdrummer do a five hit combo which utilizes the phantom punch. I waz trying to emulate that as well. Thanks for watching
            Exactly. I practice the same thing a lot lately, trying to get a handle on sneaking that FSP under and Outward Elbow setup. Ebo is a master at it, as are a few others, but it still feels foreign to me.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Exactly. I practice the same thing a lot lately, trying to get a handle on sneaking that FSP under and Outward Elbow setup. Ebo is a master at it, as are a few others, but it still feels foreign to me.
              So much, when it comes to hitting the bag feels foreign til we get used to it. I've picked up so much on this forum. So many new techniques and all around New focus on Speed Bagging.
              sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post

fedora
                Ebo IS the phantom-master....I learned it from one of his videos (wish I could fine it...I think Biff re-posted it awhile back). At first I didn't think I would ever "get it"...but with some slow practice, it's very doable!

At 2:04 there's a SloMo version you can see that might help?

Search "Dee Pooler" on YouTube:

Another show and tell, with a little fun stuff added, last of the older videos that didn't make the cut. over 500

Lots of good stuff there.
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Oh.... and Metaldad... great stuff, I could watch you all day, but everytime I watch your videos, I'm inspired to go hit the bag! Here I am editing the film and I can hear the bag calling from a distance...{spooky bag voice}"Hit me....Hit me Za".

Please keep hittin' & postin'....love it.

A true addiction.... the more you learn, the more there is to learn.
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Haha! Thanks! I had forgotten to add your video Zaza. Sorry about that. Especially since you did break it down slomo for us to really take in his you're doing the techniques. DeePooler is always awesome to watch! I feel like I'm relearning all over! And yes the bag is calling me, but I promised my wife we were going out to breakfast. Welllll....maybe a couple if minues won't me...but she might.
                    Last edited by metaldad; 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Hey, thanks a lot for those links. That will really help. I finally got where I can do a 4 way elbow, but I can only do it for a few rotations before it crashes. So I have a long ways to go, but I feel like I'm at least starting to get the groove on it. These slow motion videos are a great help to beginners like me. It's fun and inspiring watching the more advance people zip through a routine but for actual learning it doesn't help much because everything is moving way too fast. Thanks again.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Haha! Thanks! I had forgotten to add your video Zaza. Sorry about that. Especially since you did break it down slomo for us to really take in his you're doing the techniques. DeePooler is always awesome to watch! I feel like I'm relearning all over! And yes the bag is calling me, but I promised my wife we were going out to breakfast. Welllll....maybe a couple if minues won't me...but she might.
                        Dee has been wrestling as "The Phantom" for over a year now.

Here is an interesting video by him. Notice his "upper drum trap with dragon tail spin" at :58 - 1:26 .... I forgot about this one. Pretty slick

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                          • Jan 2012

I think one of the tricks to the phantom punch before the outer elbow is to raise the elbow a little above the first fist instead of trying to stretch crossed arms horizontally to create the distance and timing. The elbow stays close. If you watch Ebozyn, SpeedBagAtaraxis, and some others, you can see the elbow moving up (or down) to repeat the phantom OES over/under.
                          I personally think the phantom makes the OES easier, because it gives you a little more time to set-up the elbow, and the opportunity to put the bag in the right spot for the elbow. I think it's become so natural to me because it feels easier and I'm really lazy. I also find myself favoring either the left or right sometimes, so it's a good idea to force yourself out of your comfort zone so you can improvise from any side or position.

Great videos! DP taught me some good stuff with his videos that compliment Alan's techniques, and MetalDad looks like he's having a lot of fun.

Comment

• ebozyn
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2010

Right On The Money PD. That is exactly one of the things i keep in mind when practicing "Phantom Strikes" specifically when doing Over, Under Phantom Strikes one of the thoughts i keep going over is this: I must keep my elbow out of the way of my fist with slight up and down movements, as my fist is weaving it's way over, and under my elbow.

Keep that elbow out of the way. Essentially you're trying to hit the same spot on the bag with your elbow and fist, and to do that you MUST move your elbow out of the way so you can catch that spot on the bag with your fist.

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
                            I think one of the tricks to the phantom punch before the outer elbow is to raise the elbow a little above the first fist instead of trying to stretch crossed arms horizontally to create the distance and timing. The elbow stays close. If you watch Ebozyn, SpeedBagAtaraxis, and some others, you can see the elbow moving up (or down) to repeat the phantom OES over/under.
                            I personally think the phantom makes the OES easier, because it gives you a little more time to set-up the elbow, and the opportunity to put the bag in the right spot for the elbow. I think it's become so natural to me because it feels easier and I'm really lazy. I also find myself favoring either the left or right sometimes, so it's a good idea to force yourself out of your comfort zone so you can improvise from any side or position.

Great videos! DP taught me some good stuff with his videos that compliment Alan's techniques, and MetalDad looks like he's having a lot of fun.
                            Last edited by ebozyn; 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• ebozyn
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2010

Great Vids MetalDad. Some Cool Stuff.

Bag On MD

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...