• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sir_punch_alot
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

Equipment choice!?

Gday all boxing enthusiasts!

I have been awakened by the Speed Bag skunk on youtube to my love for the speed bag! I would love to purchase some products soon so i hope i can get a great answer quickly!

So thanks in advance for helping me out with just 3 simple questions i have regarding equipment!

I will be referring to the http://store.titleboxing.com/speed-bags-platforms.html site.

1) Speed bag brand: what is better? Everlast, Rival, pro-mex??
    I am looking to get a 8x5 as i need to be nice to my wrists (from previous accident).
    Also what is the difference between a slender looking bag (banna bag??) and the normal pear shaped bag in terms of performance/use?

2) What would be a good speed bag glove/mit to protect the hand, other than wrapping?

3) Swivel choice: would the delux pro swivel be a good choice for the 8x5 bag? http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html

Ps - I live in Australia if that helps with equipment/store selection???

Thanks and happy Hitting!
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

gday, mate...got some shrimp on the Barbie? j/k j/k....

Good questions, and this is definitely the right place to find the answers. Here's my 2 cents:

1. There isn't a clear winner on bags. Everlast and Rival are high quality. I have the yellow Title 8x5 and love it - can't go wrong. The slender bags give you a tad more leeway than the rounder bags as the distance traveled between rebounds is slightly longer....but if you're new to the speed bag I suggest you purchase a couple different bags for variety.

2. Title has several alternatives to wraps. The key is good hand/wrist support and no seams on the contact points. I've ventured off the grid on this and experimented with Mountain Biking Gloves and Golf Gloves. I wore out the bike gloves pretty quick and moved on to the Golf Gloves. Golf Gloves are perfect for speed bag work - thin, snug, and strong.

3. That swivel will do just fine.

My advice is get started swinging as soon as you can. You will quickly develop your own opinions on these issues and will begin to amass a collection of all things speed bag.

Good Luck, and Welcome!!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi sir_punch_alot

1. As far as bags go, that is really personal preference. I agree with BillyMack, the Title 8x5 (any brand they have) is a great bag, as well as the Rival. I hit the Title Yellow 8x5 and Red 9x6 a lot and they are nice off the hand. I prefer the fatter more teardrop bag, but to a beginner you really wouldn't tell much difference. Most of the "bananna" bags feel a bit heavier per size to me. Just me though.

2. for gloves, this is what I wear when I use them: Harbinger weight lifting classic #130
      nice soft leather that takes the bag well, and a wrist strap for a bit more support. and I also like these gel wraps. they take the bag pretty well.

3. that swivel will work well. many use it for a long time with no problems.

I have communicated a bit with a few aussies. Speed Bag (speed ball..) has a little fan club down there. as far as stores, try Jimbradley.com I had a link to madison sports, but apparently they are not online anymore or their website is down.

Good luck with it and let us know if we can help.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zack
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

2. for gloves, this is what I wear when I use them: Harbinger weight lifting classic #130
        nice soft leather that takes the bag well, and a wrist strap for a bit more support.
        +1 on those gloves - they work great for me, and I have wrist problems too.

Comment

• SupergeZ
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2007

those gloves really do look nice alan

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

Alan and Zach -

I wanted to use the Harbinger weight lifting classic #130 glove - but don't you find the size too small ? I am a normal L size glove maybe XL -
            but with the Harbinger weight lifting classic #130 - I can hardly put them on or take off even on the XL ?? what gives ?

Comment

• sir_punch_alot
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2007

Thanks for the answers

Awesome, Thanks for the quick and detailed responses!

I had my suspicions and you all have allieviated them and added some new knowledge in there too!

Thanks again and I will let you know how i go soon!

And unfortunatley its a tad cold for a barbie at the moment but i am sure a great outdoor cookfest will break out soon....along with the shrimp! LoL

Paul.....aka..... sir_punch_alot

Comment

• sir_punch_alot
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2007

Also.......

.......almost forgot....

Jim bradley is expensive here..... i can order from o/s and save alot as well as get a good bang for my buck at the moment....

I am gonna order the title 8x5, the deluxe swivel and will check out the gel wraps...... I will also check out those weight gloves here in Oz.

Cant wait!

Thx again guys

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                  Alan and Zach -

I wanted to use the Harbinger weight lifting classic #130 glove - but don't you find the size too small ? I am a normal L size glove maybe XL -
                  but with the Harbinger weight lifting classic #130 - I can hardly put them on or take off even on the XL ?? what gives ?
                  That I don't know. Sounds like you may have Gorilla Hands.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zack
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                    Alan and Zach -

I'm normally an XL in gloves and the L fit me well. They're hard to get off at first, but they ease up.

Comment

• Clint
                      • Apr 2007

The Jim Bradley bags are expensive, but worth it. I've been hitting their kangaroo skin bag a lot lately.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...