X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja420
    • Jan 2007

Boxing a pro?

Since I was 14 I have wanted to fight a pro heavy weight or some one of the same caliber. What I was wondering is if any one knows if its possible to get a sparing session will a pro? And what steps do you take? Ive done some reasearch on the net about weight classes and Im under the impression that over 200lbs is a heavy weight. Right now im in ok shape and 6'3 290lbs. what does this mean for fighting? Is 290 to heavy? I have alwase had a love for boxing and did some boxing in jr high and in the army but never got involved enough to come accross any one who matched up well with me. My intent is to spar a pro with my small amount of trainging and see where im at and if boxing is somthing I would like to commit to. Also just to know what it is like to be in the ring with a pro. I hope this makes sense any input would be more than welcome.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

A "PRO" boxing could be loosely defined, but if you mean someone who "makes a living boxing in legitimate sanctioned events" then you would need to go to a club where people who fit that definition train. Professionals have to be registered with the state and licensed, so You might contact your state licensing bureau and see if they can give you the names of those registered. It should be public information. In arizona, you would probably start here: Arizona Boxing Commission

here's a few samples:

virginia boxing requirements

Rhode Island requirements

Wisconsin regulations

Texas combat sports

Actually, I doubt a pro would get in the ring with you sight unseen. Unless you were buddies and he want to help you. I imagine most professionals have their own trainer and set of sparring partners. taking on a stranger, particular one as large as you, isn't something they would do lightly.
    Then again, they may welcome the idea just to see how fast they could cut down the big guy. As ruffo can tell ya, You get tired fast when the fighting really starts.

You might consider finding some top notch amatuer competitors and see if you can get a match or two. Many "pro's" had to work their way up the legitimate amatuer divisions by fighting in sanctioned amatuer events, up to and including the olympics. I would imagine their are more highly trained amatuers in your state that would give you a workout than there are pro's who fit the definition of "licensed professional boxer".

either way, I think you'll have to start at some serious boxing gyms, or mixed martial art training centers, in your area.

here was a question about turning Pro on all experts.com

good luck if you do it.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Are you frigging crazy? I get worn out and beat up pretty bad just sparring guys that are much more advanced than I am. You may have a lot of skills that I don't know about, but man, that's pretty gutsy of you.

What's your motivation, to test out your skills, or to tell your buddies and grand kids that you boxed a pro heavyweight? Just curious...

Comment

• ninja420
        • Jan 2007

Exactly Chris M. To test my skills and to have a taste of what a pro heavy weight brings. I have no fantisies of winning.... on the other hand I am not the least bit scared. Im shure speed bag is right about working up the amatures and so on.. but I am 27 and and just want to know how I measure up. thanks for all the links and info I will continue to look into this and keep you guys updated. And if you think of any other helpfull info let me know

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Good luck with that Ninja!
          sigpic

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

be sure to get some pictures of that handsome mug of yours before it gets all beat up and swollen....

Ninja BEFORE & AFTER
            Attached Files

Comment

• ninja420
              • Jan 2007

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH thats the funnest thing I have seen In a long time thanks billy But I will go down before I get beat that silly.

HEY U GUYYYYYYS!

Comment

• BillyMack
                • Sep 2006

lol....
                Attached Files

Comment

• jason_m_amy
                  • Jan 2007

Billy - how'd the triathlon go at Pendleton? I'm doing the one down here in San Diego (Mission Bay) in a few weeks...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...