Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny Pal
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2007

Cleto Reyes Speedbag - Swivel discussion

Reyes or Seyer (Reyes spelled backwards) is one of the finest, if not the best bags around. Only problem is you should lubricate them because they tear in under a year's time. Fast and balanced though. Use em exclusively with a circa 1940's single bearing, single s-hook, pre-lubed swivel. My pre-lubed 1940's swivel also does not have the small 'eye-hook' that the s-hook fits into - so it is of a shorter length. Still searching for the ultimate swivel though - they're either too long, too short or too rigid. Alan is correct, the Everlast s-hook is the most flexible for diverse punching. Chain link types are okay for boxers or cardio punchers and will last forever. But you will have problems tryin ta get a funky groove on and then some.

What's with the Watkins triple chrome? It looks exactly like the original metal Everlast s-hook. Retread? Thoughts please.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

If you look at these "S-HOOK" shapes 1,2,3 you will see the main differences. #1 is the old school everlast "S" and #3 is the Watkins.

I like the watkins - it hits very nice. just a bit long and a tad slower than the other, but not a bad swivel.

the plastic ballhook "S" is actually #2, which was the more modern "S" of the 1990's.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jason_m_amy
          • Jan 2007

Great link on all the swivels Alan!

I have recently made some swivel/board modifications:

I recessed my swivel (using a router) about 3/4" of an inch into my iBox platform (shortens rebounds a bit). Works pretty good, my next step is to heat up that S swivel hook, cut and bend it to try to take off 1/2" to shorten up the throw even more (I used to do a lot of metal work and welding). Another project I was thinking of is: since I have so many of those stupid worthless everlast chain link swivels laying around, modifying it - somehow just getting a strong piece of cord or wire or something, then just hooking that to the bag. Getting rid of the chain link piece, replacing it with something flexible... Still use the ball-bearing piece in the base for the rotation axis, but the pendulum axis would be something more 'free'. Have to make some prototypes, but hoping to get as much freedom as the ball-n-hook design, with a much shorter throw. I took off the chain link piece and zip-tied a bag there to check it out, and it was really fast and nice! I have one of those 'super swivels' with the U that I may also modify since I can't stand that swivel either... I like the idea of a small carabiner or something for the 'quick' change aspect.

Comment

• speedbag4life
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Johnny Pal View Post
            Reyes or Seyer (Reyes spelled backwards) is one of the finest, if not the best bags around. Only problem is you should lubricate them because they tear in under a year's time.
            ...lubricate, with what? (sorry if it's a lame question. no snow here, no dryness, no need to treat leather )

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jason_m_amy View Post
              ....I have so many of those stupid worthless everlast chain link swivels laying around, modifying it - somehow just getting a strong piece of cord or wire or something, then just hooking that to the bag. Getting rid of the chain link piece, replacing it with something flexible... Still use the ball-bearing piece in the base for the rotation axis, but the pendulum axis would be something more 'free'. Have to make some prototypes, but hoping to get as much freedom as the ball-n-hook design, with a much shorter throw. I took off the chain link piece and zip-tied a bag there to check it out, and it was really fast and nice!
              Actually, that would work pretty well.

Here is a video of Billy Mack at Beach using a very similar setup because the swivel was broke (missing part) and he tied the bag with a shoe lace. Seems to work fine.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                tied the bag with a shoe lace
                Was actually just the lace from the bag itself...just untied it, did a figure 8 up through the bag's loop and tied it to the swivel...viola!

Detail:

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2007

Lubricating Speedbag

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                  ...lubricate, with what? (sorry if it's a lame question. no snow here, no dryness, no need to treat leather )
                  Nah, brah, not a lame question. The thing is, Reyes speedbags are not made of "leather," but goatskin. Goatskin is thinner and lighter and tears and rips from normal use after a while. So its not necessarily the weather that makes it necessary to lube them, it's just their susceptability to normal wear and tear.

Leather bags don't usually have that problem. To clean leather bags and keep them supple, old ring generals clean with saddlesoap and rub neatsfoot or linseed oil on them to keep them perky. (Doesn't that sound 1930 or 1940' ish?) Don't rub too hard though because the finish may come off.

I am going to use lanolin on the Reyes goatskin to try to keep it supple.
                  Interestingly, you can still use the Reyes after it is ripped and torn because it has a cloth lining. But it looks like "kukai" [I see you from kine island brah and unnastan kukai"]. So it's kind of embarrassing to take a raggedy lookin bag to the gym. Ya know, some folks be talkin about usin KY lubricant on speedbags but that an entirely different story!! hemoskin!! ha, ha.

On an unrelated subject, check out my ukulele video on YouTube.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOezA_9IcU The only connection with speedbag is da rhythm.

Mahalo!
                  Johnny Pal

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Aug 2007

Swivel Discussion

If you look at these "S-HOOK" shapes 1,2,3 you will see the main differences. #1 is the old school everlast "S" and #3 is the Watkins.

I like the watkins - it hits very nice. just a bit long and a tad slower than the other, but not a bad swivel.

the plastic ballhook "S" is actually #2, which was the more modern "S" of the 1990's.

Thanks Alan - man you are sho'nuff anal on these things (and that's a good thing). Nice treatment on the various types of swivels. I also agree that we are on the same page on this subject, that a piece of string or leather would appear to do the job. I happen to have a speedbag instruction book from the 1800's which displays just that; a rope of sorts attached to a metal peg. Of course the bag is bigger than a beach ball! Also, you probably saw the sailor on the ship hitting a large bag also tethered by a string. Look forward to hearing more about the pursuit of the perfect swivel. I just sent out for the Title Deluxe Pro Swivel will see how it hangs. Also disappointed in the Aussie swivels.
                    Thanks brah!

Johnny Pal
                    Last edited by Johnny Pal; 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM. Reason: unnecessary

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Johnny Pal View Post
                      .... but the Budweiser decals look absolutel great!! Nice conversation piece and great to inspire chuggin some suds.
                      Johnny Pal
                      Be careful mixing the speed bag with suds chuggin. It can lead to some strange workouts.....
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Be careful mixing the speed bag with suds chuggin. It can lead to some strange workouts.....
                        haha, I knew exactly which clip that was going to be before I clicked it

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          haha, I knew exactly which clip that was going to be before I clicked it
                          ....Yea, some of my speed bag workouts get a little crazy. To many hours under the board I guess. Sometimes I had a sign up to remind myself to "swing at the one in the middle..." I've got lots of "masked" speed bag footage (hidden in the vault), along with sorted appearances by dogs, cats, the wife and puppets.

I like puppets

(* You can believe a suds or two was involved in this experiment...)
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Immediately after my shoulder surgery my left arm felt a lot like the "puppet without arms"

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Immediately after my shoulder surgery my left arm felt a lot like the "puppet without arms"
                              Hope it better now....
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...